IPL: The Great auction thread

Feed

February 20, 2008 First signs - Indians are big business Posted by Sidharth Monga 37 minutes ago in IPL The first signs are that Indian players, because they will be bigger brands, will be sought after more than the foreign players. There will be arguments over who out of Adam Gilchrist and Mahendra Dhoni is a more valuable pure cricketer in Twenty20. But Dhoni has been bought by Chennai for more than double the money Gilchrist has gone for, and he's accounted for 30 per cent of Chennai's salary cap. Shane Warne and Gilchrist are interestingly the first two Australians to be picked: they are both retired (or about to) and even if the Pakistan tour goes ahead, will be available to play in the IPL. The same could be true for Shoaib Akhtar, who is not on the best of terms with PCB. On another note, Yuvraj Singh and Sourav Ganguly are now guaranteed 15 per cent more than US$450,000 and US$425,000 - that is what Mohali and Kolkata have paid for Shane Warne and Shoaib Akhtar, and as icon players Yuvraj and Ganguly earn 15 per cent more than the highest bid. It could even go up further. It's Chennai who set the ball rolling by having 2.1 million dollars on two players alone. Are these trends or are these unrelated, a clearer picture will emerge after the next few rounds.

If Laxman is not selected by Hyderabad. it will be utter shame and hypocrisy. He may not be worth that much but VVS has to play in this tournament no matter what.
So Hyderabad will bid for him. Why do you worry? (See AK finally went to Bangalore. A similar thing will happen with VVS, at least I hope so).

Guest HariSampath

^...I absolutely agree with Chennai's choices...its a HUGE boost to have Murali and Dhoni..two Int'l mega stars. I had predicted Murali coming here to Chennai quite a long time back, in fact on the day we announced the Chennai name contest 2 weeks back. Murali is a soninlaw of Chennai and a great brand star for Chennai cricket , his 4 overs could prove absolutely crucial and he has capacity to totally turn a game around in 2 overs ( equivalent of getting 35 runs in 2 overs while batting), which is vital in a T20 context. Also Murali has never been taken to the cleaners in any form of cricket, even on a very bad day he wont go for more than 5 an over. Dhoni is an absolutely great cricket value/brand value. He can bring in 3 aspects of cricket alone. Top captaincy, top keeping, top batting in T20...Dhoni is also capable of winning T20 games off his own bat ( he is equal to sachin, Yuvraj and among the top limited overs cricketers in the world. Chennai has worked out that Murali and Dhoni can directly impact a minimum of 10 overs in a T20 game by their cricket, and Dhoni would contribute with his keeping for 20 overs and captaincy for 40 overs...so great value buy. Another opinion I was floating around to the Chennai thinktank ( to whom I am well known and in fact I may become formally part off too, in IPL ) is that 4 overs of Murali induces a high probablity of wickets at the other end, and this means in a space of 4-6 overs between 8th to 14th overs the chances of any big partnership build up or highscoring overs would be far reduced.

Chennai looks ok right now. They should go for MVPs in Oram, Ishant and Smith. And they will be all set. Right now Mumbai (and even Bangalore) looks bad to me. Mohali looks good and they haven't bid a lot as well. Whoever gets the good bowlers along with star performers in Gayle, Smith, Gibbs, Oram etc. from now on will be the best. I think Delhi looks the frontrunner.

So Hyderabad will bid for him. Why do you worry? (See AK finally went to Bangalore. A similar thing will happen with VVS' date=' at least I hope so).[/quote'] Lets hope Bunny, because i noticed that Laxman wasnt in the pool of players that had price tags so i guess him being an icon was the only automatically way he would be selected.

Guest HariSampath
Dude' date=' Hyderabad should be happy they didn't have to pay 700,000$ for VVS. That doesn't make sense.[/quote'] No, if VVS was made icon , it means that he would have been eligible for 15% more than next highest player, and spending 805,000 dollars for VVS for a T20 tournament is just bulsht, he is not even worth 1/10 of amount. This also means a team like Bangalore and Kolkatta are stuck with Ganguly and Dravid as icons and so if they bid anything high for a top player ( like 500,000) this means Dravid and Ganguly will HAVE to be paid 575,000, which is cr@p , but thats the deal BCCI has shoved down the throats of franchises by blindly naming icon players....This also means that these 2 teams wont be able to bid anything like 1 million plus for anyone because that means Ganguly and Dravid will have to be paid 15 % extra , which will mean they wont have any money left for anything else. LOL...imagine being stuck with Dravid and Ganguly AND having to shell out $ 1.2 millions for the misfortune !! Chennai was damn Lucky I should say !!:yay:

Mumbai entered the fray in the second round of bidding, picking up Sanath Jayasuriya for US$975,000 (his base price was US$250,000) and Harbhajan Singh for US$850,000 (base price US$250,000). The other players who were picked in the second round of bidding were: Anil Kumble by Bangalore for US$500,000 (base price: US$250,000) and Kumar Sangakkara by Mohali for US$700,000 (base price: US$250,000). So Sanga joins his friend and national captain Mahela Jayawardene - and their former coach Tom Moody. Glenn McGrath and Mohammad Yousuf haven't found any takers so far, so they have gone into the reserve pool and will be picked later.

Can you explain me the icon player status, Hari Bhai ? As far as my knowledge about iconic status is, it means the player gets 15% of the HIGHEST amount paid for a individual in a FRANCHISE. For example, Jayasuriya was paid 975,000...so SRT will get 15% of that. Am I right ? Am I missing anything else ?

Guest HariSampath
No offense' date=' but that's the day i will start supporting Mumbai.[/quote'] I would be happy to pay you to support Mumbai LOL...with Agarkar , jayasuriya to bowl and you to support, I am guaranteed a win , I would pray for this and be quite willing to sponsor you as a paid Mumbai supporter !!!:hysterical:....Mumbai will get Zapped :D

Delhi not picking anyone yet? They seem to be quiet. Mohali pick a good combo with Sanga, and yuvi. Not sure about jayawardene. Afridi is still there. Might make a good pair with Sehwag. Other players to watch out for: Brett Lee, Ponting, Vettori. HOw about Misbah ------------------------------------------------ Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000) Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,00) Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000) Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000) Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000) Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000) Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000)

The **** has hit the roof Jayasurya - 975,000 $ Bhajji - 850,000 $ Sangakarra - 700,000 They are not worth this kinda dough.....Makes Dhoni's pricetag look like a bargain
its not about how good these players are. its about how many $$ can these guys bring back in the franchise's wallet.

Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000) Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,00) Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000) Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000) Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000) Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000) Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000)

Can you explain me the icon player status, Hari Bhai ? As far as my knowledge about iconic status is, it means the player gets 15% of the HIGHEST amount paid for a individual in a FRANCHISE. For example, Jayasuriya was paid 975,000...so SRT will get 15% of that. Am I right ? Am I missing anything else ?
True.