After turning 37, Gautam Gambhir opens up about his retirement plans

https://www.crictracker.com/after-turning-37-gautam-gambhir-opens-up-about-his-retirement-plans/

Gautam Gambhir celebrated his 37th birthday by scoring a match-winning century for Delhi in the quarter-final of the ongoing Vijay Hazare Trophy. Chasing 230 runs against Haryana, the birthday boy opened up the innings and played a scintillating 104-run knock to set the semi-final date with Jharkhand on Thursday. Having turned 37, the questions on his retirement are doing the rounds now but Gambhir has clarified that he will keep playing until he enjoys the game.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

The left-hander last played for India in Tests against England in 2016 but since then has been out of contention. Even his age is not on his side which means despite a good show in the domestic circuit there are very grim chances of Gambhir making a comeback to the international arena.

I will retire when there are no emotions involved

When asked about his retirement in a media interaction, Gautam Gambhir was quick to say that there are no immediate plans of hanging his boots. He must be currently concentrating on winning the trophy for Delhi and is preparing for the knockout clash against Jharkhand.

“No, till the time I keep scoring runs, that makes me happy. You keep doing it. I think scoring runs, winning, coming back to the dressing room happy, being in the winning environment makes me happy. Till the time I have that passion in me, where I want to come back to a happy dressing room, I want to be a part of that happy environment — I am going to keep going, and the day I feel that there are no emotions involved in it then I would think it’s time to go,” the 37-year-old was quoted as saying by NDTV Sports.

India’s World Cup hero also spoke about the challenges he always had to face during his illustrious career. He also attributed to the fact that the youngsters will keep coming and one has to always to keep growing as a player. “That is where the biggest challenge for any sportsman is. If you can keep growing with that challenge, that is what will keep you going,” he concluded.

1 hour ago, Switchblade said:

Some say he is joining Congress but on twitter he is quite critical of AAP and Bjp also took on Omar Abdullah about situation in Kashmir.

Gambhir gets angry when he feels India is slighted. I never saw him take on issues on Hinduism, so you may be right. But usually these days patriotism is equated with soft hindutva.

Anyone who cheers for the jawans or gives an earful to Pakistanis is automatically assumed to be a bhakt.

1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

BJP has offered him ticket.
And Congress won't be good for him because it is a party on decline

I am sure he's joining BJP

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

If you go by his fan account they say that he mentioned he’s not interested in joining politics but I have a lot of respect for him for bearing expenses of slain CRPF men’s children and he is not diplomatic in his approach quite straight forward in his approach media or liberals already termed him as a failed cricketer.

If you go by his fan account they say that he mentioned he’s not interested in joining politics but I have a lot of respect for him for bearing expenses of slain CRPF men’s children and he is not diplomatic in his approach quite straight forward in his approach media or liberals already termed him as a failed cricketer.

He has done a lot for our country as a cricketer to I don't think he's a failed cricketer.

I think yes, he's a little bit straightforward for Desi Politics but I think if he becomes a bit more shrewd, he can definitely do well.

I have heard from multiple people that he has been Approached By BJP and is going to join soon.

3 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

He has done a lot for our country as a cricketer to I don't think he's a failed cricketer.

I think yes, he's a little bit straightforward for Desi Politics but I think if he becomes a bit more shrewd, he can definitely do well.

I have heard from multiple people that he has been Approached By BJP and is going to join soon.

Quite vocal about Kashmir on Twitter where  I saw him critical of AAP and Bjp in fact gets into tussle with politicians on twitter Omar and few days ago there was some other guy too but as you said he’s too frank and this thing doesn’t works in India.

1 minute ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

I hate to say it here - but from What I hear, Dhoni might be a brilliant captain but he wasted his prime years cracking down dissidents rather than concentrating on his game.
Now Dumber Kohli going the same way

Actually I was disappointed with Gambhir he did well in the finals got 11 crore in Ipl highest paid guy at that time got carried away with the hype while his form was going downhill made statements about leading test side when his form was poor that was disappointing eventually he lost his place would have made a good test skipper.

Let's settle for Dumb(MSD) and Dumber(Kohli)
Kohli is doing the same thing LMAOO-treating his contemporaries like Rohit and Dhawan the same way Dhoni treated VVS.
The only difference is VVS and the oldies were already old plus he neither has Dhoni's backing neither political acumen.

https://www.crictracker.com/mumbai-stalwart-backs-gautam-gambhir-for-the-no-4-slot-in-the-indian-side-for-the-world-cup-2019/

Amol Mazumdar wants Gambhir to play at 4

Counted as one of the stalwarts of Indian domestic cricket, Amol Mazumdar thinks Gambhir fits into the Indian middle-order at No.4 in ODIs. In his opinion, age is just a number for anyone to stage a comeback. He gives priority to fitness and the agility, to be considered as the sole parameters apart from an individual’s skills.

“If I take my own career as an example, I am of the firm view that age is but a number. For someone to make an entry or comeback to international cricket, there are a number of boxes to be ticked and anyone, who ticks most of those boxes, should be under consideration,” Muzumdar was quoted as saying by Mid-Day

“The hard new ball helps you get runs. But at No. 4 or lower, the ball is softer, the field is spread and you have to start afresh,” said Muzumdar.

The cricketer-turned-commentator also believes that if selectors feel there is still a possibility for Gambhir making his way back in the Indian side, then he must be talked to, for batting in the middle-order. “If they feel Gambhir still has it in him, have a quiet word and maybe the second Vijay Hazare semi-final against Jharkhand on Thursday could be when he drops down the order in an attempt to make his way back to international cricket,” he stated.

2 minutes ago, nevada said:

Wow! At first I thought this is a 4-5 year old article. It's a nice thought to have the experienced Gambhir at 4 but batting against domestic bowlers vs international bowlers is worlds apart and Gambhir is older with slowed down reflexes these days. 

Agree with you plus we need more of power hitters as after 3 our batting is more or less a joke.