When I was 18, I wasn’t as powerful as Prithvi Shaw: Brian Lara

https://www.crictracker.com/when-i-was-18-i-wasnt-as-powerful-as-prithvi-shaw-brian-lara/

When I was 18, I wasn’t as powerful as Shaw

Prithvi Shaw scored a century and a half century in his debut series. Lara minced no words in saying that he wasn’t close to Shaw at the same age. While he mentioned that his was a completely different era, Lara added that the youngster is a great striker of the ball.

“First of all, Prithvi is a right-hander and he is more of a mix of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag. I remember when I was 18, I was not as powerful as he is. Also, the way we were accustomed to bat was very different back in those days. Prithvi strikes the ball very well and looks a very good player, very solid,” he was quoted as saying by DNA.

Shaw has a great appetite to learn 

Lara continued to shower praises on the youngster. The U19 World Cup winning captain has elevated to higher levels in a really short time. The Windies legend described Shaw as someone who had an immense hunger to learn. He was confident to watch him improve even more as time passes.

“I see Prithvi as somebody who has a great love and passion for the game. I see in him a great appetite to learn and that is the most important thing as no matter how much talent you possess, you must keep learning and he has that humbleness. I know he will keep improving.” Lara said in the interview.

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

for me, yuvraj was the most watchable left handed batsman, not lara.

Yuvi had that punch . But In case of Lara their was that foot movemvert, transfer of weight, backfoot, front foot. He had very good(slim fit) physique to look it so elegant.

Edited by mishra
20 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Too much hype given to this kid which might actually affect his game. Why cant oldies like Sachin/Lara etc just let the kid play at least 10 tests first? Hope these praises don't jinx him :facepalm:

Agree with you he is a great talent but Windies are a weak side real test would be in Australia where he has to face Starc,Cummins,Lyon or Hazlewood but he will be touring for the first time so have to be easy on him.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

for me, yuvraj was the most watchable left handed batsman, not lara.

Yuvraj was treat and one of the most elegant batsmen ever against fast bowling. But Lara I would say overall was class when playing spin also. Lara’s elegant game against spin was the most fun part about Lara. 

Those coverdrives and backfoot cut and sweeps to spinners along with dancing down the track, made Lara a sight to behold against spinners.

don't know, but for me Sachin was the more elegant when compared to Lara. To put it precisely, those batsmen that made batting look so simple  were the more pleasing to the eye for me. In short these batsmen made all the movements,  namely   forward movement of the feet ,  back lift of the bat, and the push at the ball  appear as if to happen  as uniformly( all at the same moment of time as possible it could be)) as possible when they played the shots. In that sense  Anwar,Laxman,Martyn,Mark Waugh &  Hooper were those batsmen who appeared the most pleasing to the eye for me. But it might had been  that they tried to be  as pleasing when ever they  played each and every shot which is  not at all possible and hence  they  got out  more often than those  ATG batsmen  in playing those risky shots and there by their inconsistancy  that resulted in  all of them being 'good to very good' batsmen at best.

In that sense Sachin's movements at the crease were more  uniform at the crease when compared to Lara for me. Lara's high back lift,

too much shuffle at the crease,  and  relatively harder push  at the ball made  lesser pleasing  to the eye .

Edited by rtmohanlal
1 hour ago, UnknownGenius said:

Sachin's movement at the crease were ugly tbh. His main movement was to keep adjusting his abdomen guard and undies by doing that funky 1/8th of a squat

every body has his own  preference when it comes to  pleasing to eye element. I have my own and have provided the reasons. That's all.