Virat Kohli drawing power from administrative vacuum in BCCI

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/virat-kohli-drawing-power-from-administrative-vacuum-in-bcci/story-t0L4ptPQwuwFbVx62TI5AL.html

Viv Richards is considered the top batsman in the world over the last 50 years and there is widespread agreement that during the same period Imran Khan was cricket’s most powerful captain. Inspirational, charismatic and autocratic, such was Imran’s control over Pakistan cricket that nobody dared to mess with him.

Now, Virat Kohli (no less inspirational, charismatic or autocratic) is fast emerging as a worthy successor to Imran. Captain Kohli wields enormous power and people have learnt not to cross his path. He appoints/sacks the team coach, selects players, lays down fitness standards, negotiates player fees and has strong views on a range of policy matters.

Imran and Kohli assumed unlimited power because of a general breakdown of cricket administration. Pakistan’s cricket system was always dysfunctional and whatever existed was blown away by the forceful Pathan. The transfer of power in Gaddafi Stadium was quite seamless.

Like Imran, Kohli enjoys a free run because there is no resistance in sight. The BCCI is in a state of collapse, run by administrative tailenders incapable of telling the difference between short leg and square leg. The CoA are no better than tenants on a short lease and in no position or mood to disagree with the Indian skipper. The national selectors are powerless — with collective experience of 13 Tests, and as Kirmani pointed out, they can’t stand up to Kohli.

It can be argued every Indian captain is strong and Kohli’s predecessors were no less powerful. Ganguly and MSD were leaders, not just captains, but there was a difference: both drew their power, in part, because they had the BCCI president on speed dial. Kohli, however, is an independent power centre, his authority a result of an aggressive personality and astonishing batting success. When Ramchandra Guha wrote about the influence of the ‘superstar culture’ he had Kohli in mind.

Focusing power in a single person, it is argued, can be detrimental to the team. Mike Brearley said that an overpowering personality in the dressing room can intimidate others and inhibit free discussion. The reality is Kohli is a giant, the only 100% certainty in the India’s starting XI now that seniors Pujara/ Rahane/Ashwin have shrunk in stature.

Imran and Kohli have both made judgement calls and some turned out horribly wrong. In the famous 1987 Bangalore Test, Salim Jaffer was picked ahead of Qadir on a raging turner -- but didn’t bowl a single ball in the game! In England, critics jumped on Kohli for selection mistakes. Yet both captains command respect because there is no doubt about their integrity, the passion to succeed and firm commitment to put team interest ahead of everything else.

In their dissimilar ways, Imran and Kohli have taken cricket forward. Imran taught Pakistan to win and was the first captain to ask for neutral umpires. Kohli is completely driven by the desire to push Indian cricket ahead and his is a different Indian team, one which plays off the front foot and talks tough.

When Imran stepped on to the field you noticed the Pakistan flag fluttering in the background. Kohli, on his way to cricket greatness as a batting tiger, wears the tricolour proudly on his helmet. When India wins overseas he will join the select group of powerful and great captains.

Unlike Imran, Kohli lacks political acumen - and once when CoA will be gone, Kohli will be forced out of captaincy and probably be replaced by somebody else.

I know some people might think otherwise but Captaincy change is more about management change than records.

Kohli is on the verge of being fired not because he's not winning matches - but because the older members of the dressing room don't like him.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Other than the way in which they world power, there is no similarity between Imran and Kohli. Kohli doesn't have the eye for spotting talent nor has he led the team to series win in England. Nor can he take on a most feared opponent in their own den and draw test series like Imran & co did in 1988 vs West Indies. Kohli is an all around flop as captain in tough overseas tours and will most likely add a series loss in Australia to his resume very soon.  

Edited by nevada

Other than the way in which they world power, there is no similarity between Imran and Kohli. Kohli doesn't have the eye for spotting talent nor has he led the team to series win in England. Nor can he take on a most feared opponent in their own den and draw test series like Imran & co did in 1988 vs West Indies. Kohli is an all around flop as captain in tough overseas tours and will most likely add a series loss in Australia to his resume very soon.  

Also note to be added , PCB is a government sponsored sports admin which is effectively run by the Prime Minister (what they say on face) and the Army(in reality)

However- BCCI Is in effect a corporate body which doesn't have much ruling party influence right now and has more stakeholders including corporate bodies.
The administrative mess is due to the Lodha Commission and Shashank Manohar who are stooges of Congress/NCP .

Kohli doesn't really have a noteworthy backer apart from the CoA .
His Original Corporate Backer Vijay Mallya is now a pauper with zero influence , the BJP apparently gives shite about him and unlike Mumbai, Delhi ex players are not united to support their cause.
Uparse he managed to lose Bombay Lobby's support by fighting with Rohit.

I know Prithvi Shaw yada yada , but I don't think bombay Lobby and Nita Ambani is going to back down before making Rohit the captain.

Believe it or not, Kohli is one of the least powerful cricketers.
He' gets what he wants because his dissidents aren't powerful enough to counter him.

I don't know about series wins - but there are news that he might be possibly fired BEFORE the WC19.
Which I really find unbelievable at this moment - but given how things worked out so fast, I won't be surprised if it really happens.

Kohli doesn't have the support of public either.
His popularity has rapidly decimated to the point that nobody cares about his centuries anymore while Rohit can make public swoon by telling the story of how he triumphed over Pakistan with a pace battery of Deepak Chahar, Shardul Thakur, Sid Kaul.
I think Kohli might've been better served if he treated his contemporaries like Rahane, Pujara , Vijay even Rohit and Dhawan with more respect.
The support he gives to a Pant, a Rahul and A Shaw is completely different from how he treated his contemporaries in the beginning when their Test Careers were on the nascent stage.
If Kohli thinks all the Pants and Shaws will rescue him from his old buddies, then he can eat Anushka and Karnesh's **** and go to sleep because they right now yield Even less individual political power than Bhuvaneswar Kumar.

16 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Unlike Imran, Kohli lacks political acumen - and once when CoA will be gone, Kohli will be forced out of captaincy and probably be replaced by somebody else.

I know some people might think otherwise but Captaincy change is more about management change than records.

Kohli is on the verge of being fired not because he's not winning matches - but because the older members of the dressing room don't like him.

NO Chance...Kohli is becoming Powerful day by DAY.

He is already very powerful as he has got a coach who is in his pocket.

2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

NO Chance...Kohli is becoming Powerful day by DAY.

He is already very powerful as he has got a coach who is in his pocket.

Once he loses his batting form in a couple of series losses, he will become vulnerable. He has pissed off too many people with the unquestionable power he has enjoyed.

Edited by nevada