Indian Premier League IPL - Dates, Itinerary and team discussion

Feed

^...agreed....Rahul Dravid will come in at #3 and play himself in for 7-8 overs and then make sure he holds one end up and prevent Bangalore from getting allout...when suddenly umpires will say "20 overs" :D
Do u remember Rahul's 92* from 63 against Eng last august????????

IPL has created history: Brett Lee Comparing the Indian Premier League to the 1970s World Series Cricket, Australia's pace spearhead Brett Lee SAID the cash-rich Twenty20 venture has created history in the game. Lee, who was sold for a whopping Rs 3.6 crore at the IPL auction in Mumbai on Wednesday, said the Indian initiative would revolutionise cricket. "I think it's definitely history. If we look back in 10 years time this is going to be a massive landmark in cricket. It's a bit like when the World Series started," Lee was quoted as saying in The Daily Telegraph. The tearaway bowler, however, did not think that IPL would anyway affect the traditional form of the game -- Test cricket. "It's completely different from Test cricket, it's completely different from one-day cricket," Lee said. "I've always enjoyed putting the baggy green cap on and I've loved playing one-day cricket, but since Twenty20 cricket has come in it's been pretty exciting. "To me we take it serious and enjoy it, but it's also having a bit of fun." Lee, who was bought by Bollywood star Preity Zinta-owned Mohali franchise, also supported the auction process of players. "I'm pretty excited. I think it's a really different way to do it," he said. Left-arm seamer Nathan Bracken, who was also auctioned for IPL Twenty20 contest, was also excited about the league. "You want to know what you are worth and you don't want to know what you are worth. It's a catch-22 but I think it's a good opportunity to play some more cricket," he said.

Symonds stunned by IPL offer Andrew Symonds' popularity in India since the racism row is anybody's guess and the Australian himself admitted he did not expect to land a staggering US $ 1.35 million deal in the Indian Premier League. Symonds shares a stormy relation with the Indian crowd and was subjected to monkey chants when Australia toured India for a one day series last year. Things subsequently turned worse in the Sydney Test where Symonds accused Harbhajan Singh of racially abusing him, an allegation that threatened to rip apart the cricket world with the Indian Cricket Board threatening to pull out of the tour. The all-rounder, however, was taken aback after learning that the Hyderabad franchisee of the IPL has bought him for a huge USD 1.35 million, higher than any of his teammates and second only to Mahendra Singh Dhoni (USD 1.5 million). Quite amused by the deal, Symonds said, "If I could tell you why that would probably be quite a good news story, but there is no sort of logical sense to what each player's worth ... I can't see a pattern." Incidentally, his captain Ricky Ponting went for much less, US $ 400,000, to Kolkata, while Brett Lee, arguably the most popular Australian cricketer in India, managed US $ 900,000 from the Mohali team. Symonds admitted he had no clue as to what drove the bidders and could offer no explanation for the huge difference between his deal and that of Ponting. "That's quiet amazing how that's unfolded. Unfortunately it's got nothing to do with me but that just the way things turned out," Symonds was quoted as saying by Herald Sun. He also refused to call himself a cricket mercenary. "That's what they offered to pay for me, I didn't ask for it," he said.

out of all the teams, delhi will end up getting the strongest teams and should easily lift the championship. in ipl, at most 4 foreign players can play at the same time for a given team, so it can weaken some teams which look to be very balanced. delhis catchment areas include delhi & up, both the finalists from this years ranji trophy & both have exciting youngsters which will be playing for delhi team in ipl - shikhar dhawan(highest run getter in 2004 u-19 wc & eurasia cup 2006), pravin kumar(highest wicket taker for in 2005/06 ranji trophy taking up to a ranji win), sudeep tyagi(highest wicket taker in 2007/08 ranji trophy), virat kohli(india u-19 captain), pradeep sangwan(india u-19 fast bowler), tanmay srivastav(india u-19 opening batsman) and add it to it, experienced ranji players like manhas & bhatia will also be signed up by delhi, so if u include the local cricketers as well to the squads after bidding, delhi will end up with the strongest squad

breaking news Justine lnager decided to quit IPL and mentioned commitment with Somerset forced him. What a looser. I am sure after seeing his value is S..t he decided not to go for it. on other hand David Hussey is been warned by his county to obey the contract rules.

out of all the teams' date=' delhi will end up getting the strongest teams and should easily lift the championship. in ipl, at most 4 foreign players can play at the same time for a given team, so it can weaken some teams which look to be very balanced. [b']delhis catchment areas include delhi & up, both the finalists from this years ranji trophy & both have exciting youngsters which will be playing for delhi team in ipl - shikhar dhawan(highest run getter in 2004 u-19 wc & eurasia cup 2006), pravin kumar(highest wicket taker for in 2005/06 ranji trophy taking up to a ranji win), sudeep tyagi(highest wicket taker in 2007/08 ranji trophy), virat kohli(india u-19 captain), pradeep sangwan(india u-19 fast bowler), tanmay srivastav(india u-19 opening batsman) and add it to it, experienced ranji players like manhas & bhatia will also be signed up by delhi, so if u include the local cricketers as well to the squads after bidding, delhi will end up with the strongest squad
Let me stop you right there. Being finalist in Ranji (4-day competition) trophy has nothing to do with T20 :finger:

Let me stop you right there. Being finalist in Ranji (4-day competition) trophy has nothing to do with T20 :finger:
how can u say that ranji finalist has nothing to do with 20/20. a player who can do well in the longer formats can adjust himself to any format and both the ranji finalists delhi & up r full of such players & have talented youngsters coming up. look at the indian players squad of the delhi ipl team. no other ipl team can have such a strong indian squad - Virender Sehwag, Dinesh Karthik, Manoj Tiwary, Gautam Gambhir, Pravin Kumar, Sudip Tyagi, Tanmay Srivastav, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Pradeep Sangwan, Mithun Manhas, Rajat Bhatia comparing the indian squads of the ipl teams will give better ideas about a teams strength

How do you guys rate Clarke, Johnson and Haddin now though? Clarke has drawn a lot of flak on this forum for his actions on the field, but with this one move, he's won my respect like nothing else he could have done. Ditto Johnson. Both would have been instant millionaires under the IPL bidding madness, although Haddin would probably have been a bit player. To put your country ahead of just about everything else, including an instant guarantee of an assured retirement in the sun...that takes some cojones.

How do you guys rate Clarke, Johnson and Haddin now though? Clarke has drawn a lot of flak on this forum for his actions on the field, but with this one move, he's won my respect like nothing else he could have done. Ditto Johnson. Both would have been instant millionaires under the IPL bidding madness, although Haddin would probably have been a bit player. To put your country ahead of just about everything else, including an instant guarantee of an assured retirement in the sun...that takes some cojones.
Yup. Says a ton about both men's characters. And what of Flintoff too? Ankle problems for god knows how long. No guarantee that he'll play test cricket, and he's got enough name value and talent with the willow and ball that he could have played 2 months of IPL, probably been a huge buy and not had to worry about straining his body for England while collecting a huge paycheck. And instead he's making comments like "Lancashire and the ECB have looked after me well and my concern is to get on the field for them." Bravo.

In Fleming's case, you weren't naive. This is a guy who's served his time with New Zealand for a long, long period and is now slowly watching his worth to the team drop rapidly. Shunted out of the ODI team with the captaincy passing to Vettori in both forms, and now dealing with a loose cannon maniac of a coach who's caused far too many premature retirements in the past. He's a month away from his 35th birthday and by that time has better things to do than play politics with Idiot Braces.

they are not that desh premi , they didnt join as they are trying to establish themselves in the side ... Like Pup who wants to captain , Johnson and haddin also wanna become regulars in the side and can not afford to miss out on any opportunity or risk any injury as it will end their career. Clarke mentioned that he has another 10 yrs of cricket left in him and he can make this kind of money later anyway !

Doc, Dont glorify M.Clarke just yet. He is after Aus captaincy, and will "demonstrate all the patriotism" currently...he knows with his age, time is on his side. And after he gets to become Aus captain for a year or two, his stock price will shoot up. He will then join IPL or whatever it is called then and his bid may be $3 million or whatever then.