Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mishra

ODIS: Rohit vs Kohli

Recommended Posts

Stats;

    Mat     Inns     NO     Runs     HS     Ave     BF     SR     100     50     4s     6s     Ct     St
Kohli    212     204     35     9919     183     58.69     10722     92.51     36     48     931     106     101     0
Rohit    189     183     30     7217     264     47.16     8196     88.05     20     36     627     194     63     0

 

 Rohit is the one who is facing the ball each match bowler has some teeth. While even player like Rayudu avaerages over 50. So average can not be considered as criteria to compare a opener with number 3 or 4.

 

Objectively (do not bring test matches and all). Given the option to choose one for odis, Who would you rather have. Rohit or Kohli?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Kohli any day.

 

1. If conditions are a bit tough, you can bet on Kohli outscoring Rohit.

2. Kohli's record outside Asia is far better.

2. Kohli is far more consistent.

3. Kohli has,in the last couple of years, rested many easy series where he could have scored many more runs than he already has. Rohit has used these series to bulk his record.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Other than batting aesthetics, in which way is RS even comparable to VK?

VK is probably GOAT batsman in ODI cricket. He leaves other batsmen such as RS, Root behind in the dust...

Rohit Sharma has allready won more trophies than VK without VK in team. There must be something in him, why even a team with Dhoni/DK/Rahudu at number 3-4-5 wins a trophy.

Edited by mishra

Share this post


Link to post

On patta wkt against less skillfull attack rohit can cause a damage like no one can 

But against better challenge kohli is miles ahead 

 

I wud take dhawan ahead of rohit many days

  • Dhawan is a beast in ICC tournament

 

  • Even If we see in SENA countries in odi

Rohit has done well in - Eng, Aus

Dhawan - ENG, AUS and SA to this year 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Kohli any day.

 

1. If conditions are a bit tough, you can bet on Kohli outscoring Rohit.

2. Kohli's record outside Asia is far better.

2. Kohli is far more consistent.

3. Kohli has,in the last couple of years, rested many easy series where he could have scored many more runs than he already has. Rohit has used these series to bulk his record.

 

 

 

I do not understand what basis You make the statement 1,2,3. Point 4 is hypothetical

The last serious series outside Asia I remember is this. No agenda. I went to check the stats to paste here. If you forget average column Rohit has bigger impact than Kohli.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/icc-champions-trophy-2017/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=11237;type=tournament

S Dhawan (INDIA)     5     5     0     338     125     67.60     332     101.80     1     2     0     44     4
RG Sharma (INDIA)     5     5     1     304     123*     76.00     350     86.85     1     2     1     29     7
Tamim Iqbal (BDESH)     4     4     0     293     128     73.25     340     86.17     1     2     1     25     7
JE Root (ENG)     4     4     1     258     133*     86.00     264     97.72     1     1     0     19     3
V Kohli (INDIA)     5     5     3     258     96*     129.00     261     98.85     0     3     1     26    

Edited by mishra

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Kohli any day.

 

1. If conditions are a bit tough, you can bet on Kohli outscoring Rohit.

2. Kohli's record outside Asia is far better.

2. Kohli is far more consistent.

3. Kohli has,in the last couple of years, rested many easy series where he could have scored many more runs than he already has. Rohit has used these series to bulk his record.

 

 

 

Rohit has 4 100s in Australia plus a 99. Plus the 66 with SRT in a series finale.

And 2 hundreds in england plus a t20 100.

 

Rohit actually scores more than kohli in australia and in england. The only place where kohli outscores rohit outside asia is in South africa.

Share this post


Link to post

In ODIs these days, the higher position you bat at, the easier for you, whereas in tests, it's quite opposite. That's why you see every other opener in the last decade has racked up good numbers. In contrast, good middle order batsmen have becom scarce. Kohli has been phenomenal in the middle order, not only at 3, but also at 4, where he averages 50+ too. We all know how Rohit sucked before he was moved up the order. So it's no brainer really. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

On patta wkt against less skillfull attack rohit can cause a damage like no one can 

But against better challenge kohli is miles ahead 

 

I wud take dhawan ahead of rohit many days

  • Dhawan is a beast in ICC tournament

 

  • Even If we see in SENA countries in odi

Rohit has done well in - Eng, Aus

Dhawan - ENG, AUS and SA to this year 

I remember two occasions where we were challenged. In both occasions it was against Pakistan. One in Asia and one in England. Rohit failed on both occasions while Kohli succeded in Asia but failed miserably outside Asia. Rohit has walked several miles since those failures.

 

 

Point is, More often then Not, Rohit does the job.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, UnknownGenius said:

Easiest place to bat in ODI's is opening


TOughest place to bat in test matches is openeing


Kohli and it's not even remotely close. Rohit Sharma is a FTB against mediocre attacks. 


kohli is the greatest ever ODI batsman barring none and it's an insult o compare Kohli to a FTB and selfish cricketer like ROhit who always starts innings slow while asking Dhawan to take risks so he can get set.

 

In fact I would take Dhawan over Rohit

Why is it easiest. Care to explain please? In odis, only time you can get a wicket is with new ball? So Rohit is allways facing the new ball. Once ball is 10+ overs older, only way to get a wicket is when batsman are trying to play a attacking shot to slow bowlers.

 

Rohit does plays those shots flawlessly

Share this post


Link to post

Obviously Kohli is already ODI Goat.

 

But for the thread here are stats of both in last 5 years.

SM5uuGd.png

 

In Odis 95% pitches are flat so don't tell rohit has scored on flat roads while kohli has scored on green tops (don't mix test format here). The Failure in odis for rohit has been in south africa. He has done well everywhere but again those were pretty flat decks and he should have scored one more century (I feel his test performance affected his odi performance & confidence). Other than that has nothing to prove in odis. He has scored minimum one century in all last 9 series. For rohit to become great in odis he will have to play great knock in worldcup.

 

For Kohli i don't think he has anything to prove imo already considered as great batsman in all formats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, UnknownGenius said:

Time to get set, field restrictions, ball does nothing after first 2-3 overs.

So you mean to say 1-2 over old ball does nothing. Are you kidding me. there are two new balls and they both have shine and seam for atleast 4-5 overs each irrespective of how dead the surface is.

 

Just now, UnknownGenius said:

No pressure knowing you have 9 other wickets.

 

Kohli is supposed to come as one down. So everytime he walks in, only 9 wickets are left. So he must be seasoned mentally on that part. So what difference does it makes to him because one extra wicket is down? If anything shine is most likely gone or little left by the time one wicket is down.

 

Just now, UnknownGenius said:

Meanwhile in other positions, you have the field spread which means harder to score boundaries, sometimes you have to go from ball 1

Over number 15-50 are easiest to bat on as ball is dead, its not spinning, its not soft, its not swinging, all you got to do is bat sensibly and go through the inning. Just yesterday, Rohit scored 150, he has scored double hundred, in same kind of field restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Time to get set, field restrictions, ball does nothing after first 2-3 overs. No pressure knowing you have 9 other wickets.

 

Meanwhile in other positions, you have the field spread which means harder to score boundaries, sometimes you have to go from ball 1

So Virat has pressure when 1 wicket is gone? What about #6 or #7  batsman then? They must be considered as goat for handling such pressure.

 

Rohit is only player in team who has ability to bat for long and score at high rate till end so obviously he has faced all field restrictions and pressure situation. Has 6 x 150 scores in odis already and has played till end many times. His strike rate gets better in middle and end overs lol. If you go through stats he has strike rate of 270+ in last 10 overs (better than any player in history).

Edited by Nikola

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Yeah give him flat track against mediocre attack and he will feast. A bit of movement and he is in trouble. Not only in ODI even in IPL cricket where Deepak Chahar with a bit of swing makes Rohit look like a tialender

In Todays world odis and t20s is mostly played on flat tracks and almost all batsman get troubled by swing. What are you trying to prove here?

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Yes that's why MSD is an all time ODI great up there with Virat as India's two best ever ODI batsman of all time. because batting at #6 etc is very difficult. 

 

That doesn't mean ms will get free pass for lifetime? His time is over and should have retire in 2015 where was already past expiry date.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Little bit swing and against bit of pace: Rohit sits around at 2(14) before getting out lol. 

Only time when he failed was against South Africa in South Africa. Even there also he was second best opener ahead of Amala. Now, Kohli may have done well, but by the time Kohli walked in, Was the older ball dong exactly same thing as new ball and new ball bowlers?

 

Player     Mat     Inns     NO     Runs     HS     Ave     BF     SR     100     50     0     4s     6s
V Kohli (INDIA)     6     6     3     558     160*     186.00     561     99.46     3     1     0     54     6
S Dhawan (INDIA)     6     6     1     323     109     64.60     310     104.19     1     2     0     47     2
RG Sharma (INDIA)     6     6     0     170     115     28.33     205     82.92     1     0     1     19     6
HM Amla (SA)     6     6     0     154     71     25.66     202     76.23     0     1     0     16     0

AM Rahane (INDIA)     6     5     1     140     79     35.00     182     76.92     0     1     0     9     2
AK Markram (SA)     6     6     0     127     32     21.16     159     79.87     0     0     0     13     3

 

 

Every other time, Rohit has been better

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, mishra said:

Only time when he failed was against South Africa in South Africa. Even there also he was second best opener ahead of Amala. Now, Kohli may have done well, but by the time Kohli walked in, Was the older ball dong exactly same thing as new ball and new ball bowlers?

 

Player     Mat     Inns     NO     Runs     HS     Ave     BF     SR     100     50     0     4s     6s
V Kohli (INDIA)     6     6     3     558     160*     186.00     561     99.46     3     1     0     54     6
S Dhawan (INDIA)     6     6     1     323     109     64.60     310     104.19     1     2     0     47     2
RG Sharma (INDIA)     6     6     0     170     115     28.33     205     82.92     1     0     1     19     6
HM Amla (SA)     6     6     0     154     71     25.66     202     76.23     0     1     0     16     0

AM Rahane (INDIA)     6     5     1     140     79     35.00     182     76.92     0     1     0     9     2
AK Markram (SA)     6     6     0     127     32     21.16     159     79.87     0     0     0     13     3

 

 

Every other time, Rohit has been better

Rohit didn't last enough to get ball old for Kohli. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, mishra said:

Only time when he failed was against South Africa in South Africa. Even there also he was second best opener ahead of Amala. Now, Kohli may have done well, but by the time Kohli walked in, Was the older ball dong exactly same thing as new ball and new ball bowlers?

  

Player     Mat     Inns     NO     Runs     HS     Ave     BF     SR     100     50     0     4s     6s
V Kohli (INDIA)     6     6     3     558     160*     186.00     561     99.46     3     1     0     54     6
S Dhawan (INDIA)     6     6     1     323     109     64.60     310     104.19     1     2     0     47     2
RG Sharma (INDIA)     6     6     0     170     115     28.33     205     82.92     1     0     1     19     6
HM Amla (SA)     6     6     0     154     71     25.66     202     76.23     0     1     0     16     0

AM Rahane (INDIA)     6     5     1     140     79     35.00     182     76.92     0     1     0     9     2
AK Markram (SA)     6     6     0     127     32     21.16     159     79.87     0     0     0     13     3

 

 

Every other time, Rohit has been better

There was no swing and seam in odis and t20s. Rohit's failures were of other reason not swing and seam in south africa. Few people are getting confused between pitches in test series and odi series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, UnknownGenius said:

That Kohli is the greatest ODI Indian batsman along with MSD and Rohit is not even close

No comparision with Kohli agreed. Why bring dhoni in between? If he plays and loose us worldcup next year then he won't even be considered as one of the great for me.

Share this post


Link to post

Virat is definitely more reliable no doubt about that, more so while chasing.

But people talking about big games and all at least Rohit rescued us in WC QF and was provably our best bat in the SF. 

Kohli has done nothing in big tournaments.

 

Edited by Number

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Obviously Kohli but geeez the numbers are seriously close and it's not like Kohli has done any better than Rohit when it comes to big matches.

If Kohli is GOAT then Rohit is GOAT too.

 

I have allways maintained,  Instead of reading headlines, If you give a thought, Rohit is standout bat for India in odi's.

 

Just check yesterdays game. Rohit scores 150+ and finsihes the game, But Bunty stooges in media give all credit to Kohli.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Number said:

Virat is definitely more reliable no doubt about that, more so while chasing.

But people talking about big games and all at least Rohit rescued us in WC QF and was provably our best bat in the SF. 

Kohli has done nothing in big tournaments.

 

Kohli has that knock in 2013 CT and 2016 World T20. Rohit has the knock in 2007 T20 final where dhoni almost screwed us and the 2015 WC QF.

Share this post


Link to post
But how often do you employ defense in odis? You are making your choice based on test cricket.
His ability to not throw his wicket away in It is or defend good balls to attack bad ones later sets him apart from all odi batsmen. Kohli continues this for 5 more years, he will be the greatest odi batsmen ever. Odis were always played on better pitches so comparison over the years is quite feasible.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Adi BB said:

Yeah pretty much ,didn't even bother mentioning the other jokers :cantstop:

It's scary. If those 3 get out early let's say less than 100, any decent team can best us. They have a great chance to restrict us to 200 and if we're chasing 200 or 220 with those 3 gone, forget about it.  :fear:

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Number said:

Virat is definitely more reliable no doubt about that, more so while chasing.

But people talking about big games and all at least Rohit rescued us in WC QF and was provably our best bat in the SF. 

Kohli has done nothing in big tournaments.

 

Kohli almost won us the wt20 in 14 and 16 single handedly but for others to screw it .

But talking about odis ,yeah he hasn't done much in the KOs but I am pretty sure he will own the next world cup and probably play a couple of match winning knocks in 1 or 2 KOs in the next or the 2023wc and settle this "choker in Ko" debate once and for all just like how he shut that "can't bat in England " debate !

He's closest to the GOAT for a reason  

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

It's scary. If those 3 get out early let's say less than 100, any decent team can best us. They have a great chance to restrict us to 200 and if we're chasing 200 or 220 with those 3 gone, forget about it.  :fear:

Yeah that's what Amir did in that CT final .he was my MOTM for sure ! 

Teams should just device ways to get at least 2 of these 3 out quickly and they'd fold India quickly. England did just that in the final 2 odis ,even kohli's 70 odd wasn't enough 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Against top class bowling line up on a relatively tough pitch , this is the order of trust:

kohli

dhawan

rohit 

 

What has dhawan done to be considered as better on tough pitches? Don't tell me south african pitches were real tough in odis. In that way i can pick series where kohli failed or dhawan failed and say both have flaws. Everyone can have failures. Those Pitches in SA odis were not helpful like they were in test series. Kohli failed in Aus Home series. Dhawan failed in NZ series so i will say both have flaws? Dhawan in end have just 1 century in SA after scoring runs for fun. If rohit would have been scoring runs for fun in SA it would have been 2 - 3  centuries easily. Rohit should have never been picked in SA Tests where he knew his test career is over and his confidence went down in both odis & t20 series cause of that. 

Edited by Nikola

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Number said:

Virat is definitely more reliable no doubt about that, more so while chasing.

But people talking about big games and all at least Rohit rescued us in WC QF and was provably our best bat in the SF. 

Kohli has done nothing in big tournaments.

 

His partnership with Gambhir in 2011wc final won us the trophy. 

43 in 2013CT final in a low scoring game. 

MOS in 2014 WT20. 

MOS in 2016 WT20. 

 

Rohit is good, very good, but Kohli is way better. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nikola said:

What has dhawan done to be considered as better on tough pitches? Don't tell me south african pitches were real tough in odis. In that way i can pick series where kohli failed or dhawan failed and say both have flaws. Everyone can have failures. Those Pitches in SA odis were not helpful like they were in test series. Kohli failed in Aus Home series. Dhawan failed in NZ series so i will say both have flaws? Dhawan in end have just 1 century in SA after scoring runs for fun. If rohit would have been scoring runs for fun in SA it would have been 2 - 3  centuries easily. Rohit should have never been picked in SA Tests where he knew his test career is over and his confidence went down in both odis & t20 series cause of that. 

So what's the order then ? 

Kohli 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dhawan and rohit 

Something like that ?fair enough. 

Rohit never scores runs in saf ,earlier it was Steyn,this time rabada 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, mishra said:

If Kohli is GOAT then Rohit is GOAT too.

 

I have allways maintained,  Instead of reading headlines, If you give a thought, Rohit is standout bat for India in odi's.

 

Just check yesterdays game. Rohit scores 150+ and finsihes the game, But Bunty stooges in media give all credit to Kohli.

India had won the game by the time Kohli was gone. He was the one who went after the bowlers right from the start while Rohit was taking his own time and only increased his strike rate later on. Kohli deserves the MOTM yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Jamadagni said:

His partnership with Gambhir in 2011wc final won us the trophy. 

43 in 2013CT final in a low scoring game. 

MOS in 2014 WT20. 

MOS in 2016 WT20. 

 

Rohit is good, very good, but Kohli is way better. 

Rohit has scored 50 vs SA in 2007 t20 cup, 30* (of 15) in Finals vs Pakistan.

Has scored more than kohli in CT 2013, WC 2015 & CT 2017. Was Good in 2014 T20. Failed only in 2016 t20 wc i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Obviously Kohli but geeez the numbers are seriously close and it's not like Kohli has done any better than Rohit when it comes to big matches.

At the end of the day, Rohit averages 47 while Kohli does 59. 12 point difference is big. Kohli is miles ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Adi BB said:

So what's the order then ? 

Kohli 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dhawan and rohit 

Something like that ?fair enough. 

Rohit never scores runs in saf ,earlier it was Steyn,this time rabada 

Those 2013 conditions were real though where every one struggled. 2018 Was pretty easy in both ODIs & T20s but failures were never due to conditions this time.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Rohit has scored 50 vs SA in 2007 t20 cup, 30* (of 15) in Finals vs Pakistan.

Has scored more than kohli in CT 2013, WC 2015 & CT 2017. Was Good in 2014 T20. Failed only in 2016 t20 wc i guess.

Kohli was MAN OF THE SERIES in two back to back t20 world cups. Scored in 2013 CT when it mattered the most. 2017 CT, both were good/bad. Its only 2015wc in which Rohit outperformed Kohli. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×