Khaleel Ahmed progression watch.

What I liked about his bowling yesterday was the attacking lines and lengths that he bowled.  He targeted the top of off stump consistently and that is a very good thing to do.  And he did not bowl half volleys while trying to do this 

Another good quality he displayed was the ability to bring the ball back to the right handers.  And he got some balls to carry straight through. This can be priceless for a left arm pacer.

BUT

He should not bowl at an average speed of 130 k.  This is poor.  Perhaps a reflection of his poor fitness and unaggressive mindset.  

Here he was averaging 138 k in the first match of the Asia Cup (  excluding slower balls ).  A 8 kph decrease in 5 matches.

Disappointing  !

I have never seen a top pace bowler bowl slower than what he is capable of.  

Edited by express bowling
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

What I liked about his bowling yesterday was the attacking lines and lengths that he bowled.  He targeted the top of off stump consistently and that is a very good thing to do.  And he did not bowl half volleys while trying to do this 

Another good quality he displayed was the ability to bring the ball back to the right handers.  And he got some balls to carry straight through. This can be priceless for a left arm pacer.

BUT

He should not bowl at an average speed of 128 k.  This is poor.  Perhaps a reflection of his poor fitness and unaggressive mindset.  

Here he was averaging 138 k in the first match of the Asia Cup (  excluding slower balls ).  A 10 kph decrease in 5 matches.

Disappointing  !

He was swinging the ball though. Let us hope it was a case of him cutting down on pace to get swing. What I have noticed about him is he is not a brainless one dimensional bowler.

I have always said Varun Aron or Tino Best are as much of a trundlers as Vinay Kumar.

However someone like Philander or Abbas cannot be called trundlers despite their pace. 

Edited by Global.Baba
1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

He was swinging the ball though. Let us hope it was a case of him cutting down on pace to get swing. What I have noticed about him is he is not a brainless one dimensional bowler.

I really liked the fact that he was swinging the ball.  But this kind of late swing can happen around 140 k too.   Infact it is more effective.

The fact that he is not brainless makes it even more important for us  that he bowls at his full pace.

This tendency of cutting down pace, is not a good one.

I have always said Varun Aron or Tino Best are as much of a trundlers as Vinay Kumar.

However someone like Philander or Abbas cannot be called trundlers despite their pace. 

Philander has had the advantage of playing half his games in S.A. ...  the best place for seam bowling as the pitches provide the pace and bounce and there is consistent movement on offer.   And he ends up playing 75% of his games outside Asia.     Asian pacers dont have this luxury.

We end up playing 60% of our games on low and slow pitches not aiding movement  ...  so, seamers have to generate their own pace.

Abbas has had a very good start to his career ... but we have to see how his career progresses after 30 matches, when he comes up against good batting lineups.  

Edited by express bowling
10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I really liked the fact that he was swinging the ball.  But this kind of late swing can happen around 140 k too.   Infact it is more effective.

The fact that he is not brainless makes it even more important for us  that he bowls at his full pace.

This tendency of cutting down pace, is not a good one.

Philander has had the advantage of playing half his games in S.A. ...  the best place for seam bowling as the pitches provide the pace and bounce and there is consistent movement on offer.   And he ends up playing 75% of his games outside Asia.     Asian pacers dont have this luxury.

We end up playing 60% of our games on low and slow pitches not aiding movement  ...  so, seamers have to generate their own pace.

Abbas has had a very good start to his career ... but we have to see how his career progresses after 30 matches, when he comes up against good batting lineups.  

Thing with young pacers deliberately bowling at low pace for a reasonable period of time loose their pace permanently,

I think Khaleel should get back to his old self before its too late to switch back

He was effective  then also

Khaleel is just 20 years old and its worrying that he is deliberately bowling slow. He was selected for his pace and bounce which he has said so himself in the interviews. So for him to suddenly start trundling is very surprising. Is he carrying an injury?

He has a lot of things going for him and I think he is someone who can be a good bowler for India for a long time. Hope he does not go the Munaf way.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

And also Philander does not play LOIs. Without sufficient pace and skills, bowlers will be butchered on today's flat wickets. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

BUT

He should not bowl at an average speed of 130 k.  This is poor.  Perhaps a reflection of his poor fitness and unaggressive mindset.  

Here he was averaging 138 k in the first match of the Asia Cup (  excluding slower balls ).  A 8 kph decrease in 5 matches.

Disappointing  !

he got swing because he bowled at 130.  He would not get the same swing if he bowls at 140.  I have no problem him bowling 130-132 with new ball if he is getting swing and I have seen he can suddenly increase the pace once the ball gets older like he did in Asia cup.

37 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Every bowler is different.  If Starc can swing the ball at 140-145 does not mean he can swing the ball at 140 as well because to swing the ball, you need a lot of things going right for you like seam position, wrist position, your non-bowling arm position, which may not happen when he tries to bowl quick.  Starc has a different bowling action, more suitable and easier for swing. 

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

he got swing because he bowled at 130.  He would not get the same swing if he bowls at 140.  I have no problem him bowling 130-132 with new ball if he is getting swing and I have seen he can suddenly increase the pace once the ball gets older like he did in Asia cup.

Can he suddenly increase his pace with the changed action,becoz he has changed has action a bit more,can he do it with this change?

32 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Can he suddenly increase his pace with the changed action,becoz he has changed has action a bit more,can he do it with this change?

yes, should be as he gets used to it.  Its not just about pace.  you need to be able to move the ball at 140 as well.  if he can get that ball moving by adjusting his action and then slowly increase his pace with swing remaining intact then he will be far more dangerous than 140 without movement.

Edited by rkt.india
7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, should be as he gets used to it.  Its not just about pace.  you need to be able to move the ball at 140 as well.  if he can get that ball moving by adjusting his action and then slowly increase his pace with swinging remaining intact then he will be far more dangerous than 140 without movement.

But what if the pitch doesnt offer anything,can he get back to his old speeds when gets used to his new action