Kedar Jadhav not picked because of dubious fitness history, says chief selector

rkt.india

MSK Prasad, the chairman of selectors, has clarified that Kedar Jadhav was not picked for the last three ODIs against West Indies because of his dubious fitness history. "We did not pick Kedar because of his history of fitness," Prasad was quoted as saying by PTI. "There have been occasions earlier when he has come back fit and then broke down, a case in point being the Asia Cup last month."

Jadhav's hamstring - "compromised", as his CSK coach Stephen Fleming described it during commentary - has long been a source of frustration. He injured it in his first IPL match and missed the entire tournament because of that, and then reinjured himself during the Asia Cup.

When the team was announced for the first two ODIs against West Indies, Prasad had said at the press conference that Jadhav was on course to come back after the first two matches. Fit again, Jadhav was drafted into a Deodhar Trophy side in Delhi to play on the same day as the selectors were supposed to announce the squad. Jadhav batted, bowled and fielded, running twos without any apparent trouble, but he was left shocked when told moments after the match that he was not part of the XV that wasannounced during the game.

Jadhav's reaction when informed he was not selected spoke a lot even though he was too shocked to react verbally. "I didn't know [that I have not been selected]," Jadhav said in a press conference minutes after the match. "Obviously, I have to see [why]."

When asked if he was surprised because form and quality are not a concern with Jadhav, and he had proved his fitness at both the NCA and Kotla, Jadhav said: "Let's see. I don't know. You are the first one to tell me this [that I have not been picked]. I have to see why they have not picked me."

Prasad clarified that they wanted Jadhav to play at least two games before they get him back, given his fitness history, but Jadhav's team crashed out of the tournament and he won't get that chance now. "Actually, we were thinking that if India A won today, then Kedar would have got another match, which would have given us a fair assessment of his match fitness," Prasad said. "Maybe we could have added him as an additional player (in Indian team) before the fourth ODI as the Deodhar final is on Saturday. Players need to understand that there is a process that we follow while selecting the team."

Jadhav said after the match that he had come back fully fit. "The rehab was good, I cleared all the fitness tests, I was cleared match fit, which is why I was playing here," Jadhav said. Jadhav ran hard in his 25-ball 41, pinching three straight couples in the last over of the innings. He bowled and fielded too, although he did leave the field for a few minutes before coming back on. However, it is unlikely there was any assessment made on the day because the team was announced at around 3.30pm IST. Three selectors were at the Feroz Shah Kotla, watching the match, so it is unlikely the meeting happened today.

"They pick you only if you clear all the tests [at NCA] and you are completely fine," Jadhav said.

In another context, Jadhav said there was no need to doubt yourself despite repeated injuries as long as the NCA has cleared you. "Only if you have followed all the rehab, all the fitness rules, all the exercises do they clear you at NCA. As long as they clear you, you shouldn't be having any doubt when playing on the field. You should express yourself. That is what you are supposed to do. When I get clearance from NCA, I don't hold myself back to play or to dive or to bowl."

"Whatever injury it might be, when you are playing well, batting well, bowling well, it sets you back," Jadhav said. "You don't know how long you will be out for, and when you do come back whether you will rediscover the touch you were in. And you lose out on the matches in between. It hurts, but then you have to accept it and move on."

These three ODIs against West Indies are the last India play this year. The only short-format international cricket left is a bunch of T20Is. Jadhav doesn't know whether he will be selected for those. He is now expected to turn out for Maharashtra against Vidarbha in Ranji Trophy at the start of November.

14 minutes ago, velu said:

ok .. they should have communicated this to jadhav , but now they are communicating this to him through media

@rkt.india  if dhoni wont pick any calls when off-duty , how do these selectors convey their message to him ? 

By knowing his whereabouts

They will display message "You are fired"

Offcourse using firecrackers

Happy Diwali in advance to all of you

28 minutes ago, velu said:

ok .. they should have communicated this to jadhav , but now they are communicating this to him through media

@rkt.india  if dhoni wont pick any calls when off-duty , how do these selectors convey their message to him ? 

i think non-selection is enough message for him.  no selector has to convey to a player.

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Hamstring issue is something which may crop up in England too. Someone needs to work with Jadhav.

Allthough, Anyone could get hamstring in Dubai heat. Dropping Jadhav on basis of that is very very unfair

he got hamstring in first IPL game.  Dubai was second instance and he had just made his come back.

2 minutes ago, Khota said:

That is called authoritarianism. You need to sit down, give reasons and show them where they need to improve. You cannot treat people like cattle or a disposable commodity. Wrong.

Agreed but only to players who have played for India for a long time and were regular members in the team but dropped due to poor form or you are a future young prospect like Iyer.  Jadhav is none of them.  He has played 1 game in last 6 months for India.  So, i dont see what selectors should explain to him.   

2 hours ago, mishra said:

Hamstring issue is something which may crop up in England too. Someone needs to work with Jadhav.

Allthough, Anyone could get hamstring in Dubai heat. Dropping Jadhav on basis of that is very very unfair

Jadhav is struggling with this injury for 7 months now.  Has played very few matches in this period.

39 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

What about pot belly Sharma? Or Ramesh powar back in the day?

Oh wait, it's BML making the decisions...

BML? Jadhav is csk player and dhoti is the reason why biryani, darter & dhongi himself is in playing XI & by the way Mr. UnknownGenius to become Known Genius try to know facts correctly else i fear you will be unknown for life.

Edited by Nikola
6 minutes ago, Nikola said:

BML? Jadhav is csk player and dhoti is the reason why biryani, darter & dhongi himself is in playing XI & by the way Mr. UnknownGenius to become Known Genius try to know facts correctly else i fear you will be unknown for life.

spotted 

online-bakra-500x500.jpg

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Agreed but only to players who have played for India for a long time and were regular members in the team but dropped due to poor form or you are a future young prospect like Iyer.  Jadhav is none of them.  He has played 1 game in last 6 months for India.  So, i dont see what selectors should explain to him.   

It is called being professional and courteous.