Even top footballers are not picked for World Cup: Shreyas Iyer on pain of rejection

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/even-top-footballers-are-not-picked-for-world-cup-shreyas-iyer-on-pain-of-rejection-5421490/

“It’s not just cricket but even football and other sports, if you see, there also we find breakdowns (heartbreaks). You can find a lot of top footballers not being selected for World Cup despite performing for their clubs. All these small, small things matter and helped me focus on what I am doing at the present,” Iyer said on Saturday.

“I have realised that it’s not only me but there are a lot of other players also who are not being selected. So I can see their frustration as well at the same time and I think it’s just part and parcel of every sportsman’s life. They all go through it,” the 23-year-old Mumbaikar said after his 148-run knock nearly took India B to Deodhar Trophy victory.

“I have been playing matches continuously. So I just go match by match as selection is not in my hands. My job is to keep scoring runs and I am lately focussing on that only. Earlier, selection matters used to really play on my mind. Now I have just forgot those things and focussing on things that are necessary,”Iyer said.

“When we go in India A team and all of us have performed well for our domestic circuits. Main aim is to enjoy each other’s success. When someone gets a hundred, all of us feel happy and cheer that person. It’s not like someone is jealous and someone is not,” he added.

“To be honest, I didn’t react when I got selected. I was focussing on the match as it was really important for me going forward. Deodhar Trophy is the tournament where all performers in Vijay Hazare and Ranji Trophy are playing.

“If you play a good knock over here, you are recognised and selectors have eyes on you and I am in the scheme of things. On and off it doesn’t really matter as you play cricket for passion,” said Iyer.

The only question he sidestepped was on the communication issue with the selectors.

“I am not going to say anything on that,” he smiled as everyone present had a good laugh.

Iyer has every right to feel hard done.  Avg:ing 42 at 96+ str: after 5 inns is a great start indeed. Not only that, in SAF he was scoring runs with out any  trouble  at all and was rotating the strike brilliantly as his 48 runs in 58 balls (82.76 str:) show @24 avg: . Of which, his 30 0f 37 was scored when even Kohli could score only 36 of 54 balls.

https://www.crictracker.com/shreyas-iyer-hopeful-of-a-long-run-in-the-national-side/

Iyer aims to play 2019 World Cup

Shreyas Iyer dreams of playing the ICC World Cup scheduled in England next year and he is optimistic about his chances. The Mumbai batsman, who averages over 51 in first-class cricket and has a fair experience in captaincy by now, spoke to India Today in an exclusive interview where he highlighted a variety of issues.

Iyer was recently called back to the Indian squad for the six T20Is lined up next month against the Windies at home and Australia Down Under. “I couldn’t make it to the ODI squad (against the Windies) but I was expecting my selection in the T20 format as I have done well recently. Good thing is that I am in the T20 squad going to Australia too. So, at the back of my mind, I know that I have been given a long run to perform,” Iyer said.

The Indian middle-order has seen an intense competition for berths of late though Iyer doesn’t complain about it. According to him, it is actually a “great thing” to have. Iyer feels India has so much talent available at the moment that it can have two teams.