Ganguly & Ravi Shastri.. rift out in the open

diga

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25126224/sourav-ganguly

In a letter to the BCCI's office bearers, Sourav Ganguly, the president of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB), said he has a "deep sense of fear and worry" about how cricket is being run in India and that the game's popularity is "in danger" because of the current administration.

In his letter, which ESPNcricinfo has accessed, he has also spoken publicly for the first time about the "appalling" way in which Ravi Shastri was selected as the national team's head coach. He also criticised the handling of the recent sexual harassment case and the changing of playing conditions in domestic cricket in the middle of the season.

Two of these three decisions - made with the blessings of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) - directly involved Ganguly, and possibly overruled him.

Ganguly was on the Cricket Advisory Committee that selected Shastri as India's coach after the bitter falling out of captain Virat Kohli with incumbent coach Anil Kumble. First, the deadline for the application was extended, allowing Shastri to apply. After the interviews, Ganguly said in a press conference he wanted to give Kohli some time to think about his demand. However, the CoA and the BCCI announced Shastri's appointment the same evening. The first press release said Rahul Dravid and Zaheer Khan had been appointed batting and bowling consultants, but neither Dravid nor Zaheer ever got to work with the team.

"My experience in the matter of coach selection was appalling," Ganguly wrote. "The less said the better."

1 minute ago, UnknownGenius said:

Can't speak the truth here? Why are my posts being deleted. Seems like there is one thin skinned person here. We all know who it is.

Again only reason Shastri is India's headcoach is because of BML and Tendulkar particularly. Ganguly had the right intentions for Indian cricket and is right to be pissed off

can not upvote your content.

Lol 

But yeah this is all on Mumbai ex cricketers.

Its not some club rivalry anymore. 

Mumbai cricket community needs to take a hard look at themselves, is supporting Ravi more important that cricket in India ?

I think Ganguly is brave in pointing this out. 

Just now, UnknownGenius said:

Can't speak the truth here? Why are my posts being deleted. Seems like there is one thin skinned person here. We all know who it is.

Again only reason Shastri is India's headcoach is because of BML and Tendulkar particularly. Ganguly had the right intentions for Indian cricket and is right to be pissed off

Shastri is coach because Virat insisted on him. 

Is Virat part of the "BML"? 

Is anybody north of Chennai, part of the BML?

Your constant vitriolic diarrhea is polluting the forum.  Better rein it in a bit before you force the laissez faire mods to clean up the crap.

Just now, Vilander said:

can not upvote your content.

Lol 

But yeah this is all on Mumbai ex cricketers.

Its not some club rivalry anymore. 

Mumbai cricket community needs to take a hard look at themselves, is supporting Ravi more important that cricket in India ?

I think Ganguly is brave in pointing this out. 

You will find plenty of Bombay folks who dislike Shastri as coach.  There is no shadowy illuminati Bombay lobby controlling cricket.

Just now, sandeep said:

You will find plenty of Bombay folks who dislike Shastri as coach.  There is no shadowy illuminati Bombay lobby controlling cricket.

Sandeep you should resist your urge to defend mumbai a bit.  I think in Sashtri's case there was coordinated old boys network in play, may be its incorrect to call is mumbai lobby etc ( frankly this is more important that some IPL fan wardom)

but there is clearly some outside of ability preference for shastri, Kohli did stop Kumble which was pathetic to see - but several erstwhile players from mumbai supported Shastri( i will leave it at that and not name them as i do not want to hurt some people here :--D) but yeah - does not look like they have the nations interest at heart. 

1 hour ago, Riju23 said:

I find no issue with what Saurav is saying, especially with respect to the manner in which Kumble was removed and Shastri hired.

Ganguly is kinda correct. 

Zak n dravid had credentials better than shastri so shastri did not want them. 

If Zak n dravid were ready to work under shastri.. Shastri should have agreed for team's benefits. 

But he choose bangar and fat bharat Arun.  

That team was a clever shastri master batsman and a shrewd pacer

55 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Zak n dravid had credentials better than shastri so shastri did not want them. 

honestly for me, Shastri had his value as a kind of cheer-leading positive motivator - He should have had Zak and Dravid in there- but i think he wanted less prominent yes men who he can control - he went wrong there - he put himself before the team.

1 hour ago, diga said:

maybe I have not digged hard, but none of ex-mumbai cricketers have raised a whisper about the haphazard way in which Ravi shastri was made the coach

The panel that was tasked with appointing the coach, IIRC included Tendulkar. And the panel did its best to get Kohli to reconcile with Kumble.  And the panel's public statement even after appointing shastri included an admonition of Virat and the players - an indirect one - that this is not what's expected from the players in terms of politicking about the coach appointment.  

Maybe they haven't been as vocal as Ganguly - but Ganguly had a pre-existing feud with Shastri already.  Makes it easier for him to be vocal.  Just because the well-wishers of Indian cricket may not want to air out dirty laundry in public, doesn't mean they are unanimously supportive of Shastri.