What are your world cup expectations from India?

vvvslaxman

Going by the history

1983 - Everyone thought they would be kicked first round easily from what i read 

Result - Winner

1987 - Expected to reach the finals easily

Result - kicked out in the semi

1992 - Expected to be getting kicked out early

Result - Happened as expected

1996 - Expected to get to the finals

Result - Resurgent SL knocked us out

1999 - Not much expectations with Tendulkar in peak form had to leave to attend the funeral of his dad

Result - KIcked out early

2003 - Expected sound thrashing after NZ beat us on designer pitches

Result - Surprised everyone by reaching final in dominating style

2007 - Expected to get to the first round

Result - That didn't even happen

2011 - Expected to get to the final

Result - Winners

2015 - Expected to get to the semis

Result - Did just that

2019 - What are your expectations

I expect us to do reasonably well despite unsettled middle order, over-reliance top order. One thing that goes in favor of India is in a multinational tournament it is mostly one match against one team not several matches against one team. So being switched on all the time is important. India has the experience of handling pressure. A reason why India often reached CT finals more than lot of other teams.  Usually somebody steps up. 

Regardless of who they play they have to play as a unit for a while before world cup so that everyone knows their role clearly.

Edited by vvvslaxman
  • Ind usually does not do well in WCs w/ round robin formats and super stages (round robin among group winners) -> 1992, 1999 and 2007 .... 2003 was an exception 
  • SENA teams have a better chance of doing well in a round robin format group stage (less KO pressure) in SENA  
  • Teams like WI are getting dangerous 

To reach SFs, we have to win 6-7 games or 5-6 games w/ great NRR .... Assuming that we beat Pak, SL, BD and AFG. Reaching SFs depends up on beating WI (which could peak) and one/two of Aus, Eng, NZ and SA 

Edited by zen

Semis is the expectation ,if we reach the finals it'll be like exceeding the expectations. 

We won't win the wc unless individual brilliance/madness in the KO  

If we don't reach the semis it'll be a disappointment due to the low quality in teams nowadays in general especially the fall of Windies,srl,pak 

6 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

My Expectations: To win the Damn World CUp

Reality: We will get knocked out in first round. Dhoni will be made scapegoat and he will kicked out. Maybe Jadeja and Biryani will a boot. Rest will remain same. Shahstri will still continue.

if we get booted in WC in 1st round , kohli wnt remain the captain atleast in ODI and ppl are waiting to pounce on shastri

Already ppl have started make rohit the captain

biryani wnt last to coz he cnt be in plan for scheme of next Wc

Win the damn World Cup. There are no great teams. England has a gun odi batting but the bowling is unknown. Can’t tell with RSA. Pakistan if they have a good day they will be hard to beat and don’t forget they play like 6 Odis in England before the World Cup so that’s great practice.

Nz not afraid of them. Aussies are crap without smith and warner.

1 minute ago, Laaloo said:

Win the damn World Cup. There are no great teams. England has a gun odi batting but the bowling is unknown.

If it starts to spin or reverse (which pak bowlers does tend to get it)

those eng hacks will struggle to 

Also i feel those eng players are mentally not gr8 in Wc situations where subcontinetal teams have always an edge

1 minute ago, Laaloo said:

Can’t tell with RSA. Pakistan if they have a good day they will be hard to beat and don’t forget they play like 6 Odis in England before the World Cup so that’s great practice.

N pak have generally done well in england 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

if we get booted in WC in 1st round , kohli wnt remain the captain atleast in ODI and ppl are waiting to pounce on shastri

Already ppl have started make rohit the captain

biryani wnt last to coz he cnt be in plan for scheme of next Wc

Captain Rohit ex players already praising him a lot he will be there and my fear is that Pant might face the axe due to the bowling options top 4 are confirmed 

5)MS/PANT

6)HARDIK

7)JHADAV/JADEJA (6th bowling option)

8)Kuldeep/Khaleel

9)Chahal/Shami/Umesh

10)Bhuvi

11)Bumrah 

Thakur and Pandey will be there as well be in the 15 man squad 

I am expecting semis not beyond that first 4 games are crucial South Africa,Australia,Pakistan and Kiwis need to win at least 3 out of 4.

1 minute ago, Switchblade said:

Captain Rohit ex players already praising him a lot he will be there and my fear is that Pant might face the axe due to the bowling options top 4 are confirmed 

5)MS/PANT

6)HARDIK

7)JHADAV/JADEJA (6th bowling option)

8)Kuldeep/Khaleel

9)Chahal/Shami/Umesh

10)Bhuvi

11)Bumrah 

Thakur and Pandey will be there as well be in the 15 man squad 

I am expecting semis not beyond that first 4 games are crucial South Africa,Australia,Pakistan and Kiwis need to win at least 3 out of 4.

not thinking to much about the squad, still their is some cricket left before the WC

Injuries , Form, other format perfomances will impact a lot of things