Jump to content
Ankit_sharma03

Ranji trophy 2018-19

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

You mean in a series where he scored a match-winning double hundred and another hundred on a rank turner?

Even on a raging turner at Wankhede he scored a hundred iirc

He was undone by Swann later,but then it was a relentless hunting pair of swann,panesar

Happens to the best,that test match was sealed by Kevin Peiterson's atg knock,his innings came on a surface which had became far more worse than the one which Pujara played on

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Even on a raging turner at Wankhede he scored a hundred iirc

He was undone by Swann later,but then it was a relentless hunting pair of swann,panesar

Happens to the best,that test match was sealed by Kevin Peiterson's atg knock,his innings came on a surface which had became far more worse than the one which Pujara played on

That's the hundred I was referring to. Pietersen's knock was great but he was up against an inferior attack at that point of time.

Share this post


Link to post

It is almost like win the toss win the match. Pitch got progressively worse. But i have to question the technique of some of the batsmen. Also Saurashtra was guilty of allowing the opposition to claw back by having defensive field set. I must say as bad as Unadkutter he is way better than this Khaleel pie chucker. He landed his yorkers well. India is woefully short of quality of left arm seamers. Definitely Khaleel is not the best of the worst. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

That's the hundred I was referring to. Pietersen's knock was great but he was up against an inferior attack at that point of time.

Infact i remember panesar's bowling,it was prime example of pelting cherry to the batsmen,rest was done by the minefield

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

You mean in a series where he scored a match-winning double hundred and another hundred on a rank turner?

owned @R!TTER

 

Pujara is as good player against spin as good as you can ever find.  He averages 60 plus in India in an era where we have seen quite a few minefields in test cricket.  His innings at Kotla minefield in 2012-13 against Aus was a masterclass against off spin.  No batsman is supposed to score runs every game or will have a high motivation level in a domestic game especially after winning a grueling test series in Aus and it would also take some time to get adjusted to a slow and low Indian rank turner pitch coming from Aus pitches.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Now you are trying to mix 2 separate topics because you do not have a definitive answer to the first question. Slow down. Btw, Kumble and Bhajji struggled in all SENA countries, not just Australia!

and i am talking about all of them, not just Australia.  my initial argument was that pitches all over the world have become more spin friendly in last 5 years or so starting with England.  SA is still a bit of exception in test cricket.  but last ODI series, we played there, pitches were helping spinner.  Take an example, Ashwin in 2014 NZ tour in 4 ODIs could not buy a wicket and ended up at an average of 219.  Jadeja struggled as well.  NZ spinners also did not do anything great. This time, spinners from both sides well.  Even NZ is encouraging pitches that would help spin, so that their batsman could learn to play spin starting from domestic cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

The match winning double was on a flat pitch, the other hundred was good but then Swann psyched him out. He barely scored much after that, you remember that part?

Nagpur pitch was a slow and low patta, neither helped spin nor pace, match ended in a dull draw.  So if Ahmedabad was patta, Nagpur was a bigger patta as India only played one innings there. Lets discount that.  So now come to Eden test.  First innings, he got out to Panesar, not swann and second innings he was run out.  When did Swann psyched him out then?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, G_B_ said:

2 in a row

 

Stength of Indian cricket that new sides are lifting the ranji trophy?

Yeah, I think our domestic cricket is the most stronger overall, producing top bowlers, batsman and young players.

 

Our system to promote them and transition them to Indian team require changes, but our Ranji Trophy as a circuit is probably way ahead of other domestic circuits around the world.

 

Just look at Sheffield yield, same winners - Victoria or Queensland, or NSW from the past. Our domestic circuit has moved on from just one same winner like what Mumbai used to do. Players and top teams are coming from different parts of India and selection has been a headache for most teams.

 

Great signs overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, G_B_ said:

2 in a row

 

Stength of Indian cricket that new sides are lifting the ranji trophy?

also 'professional' players playing for other teams like Jaffer and Satish helps as well ..same was the case for Rajasthan a few years back but the core is still local. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, rkt.india said:

and i am talking about all of them, not just Australia.  my initial argument was that pitches all over the world have become more spin friendly in last 5 years or so starting with England.  SA is still a bit of exception in test cricket.  but last ODI series, we played there, pitches were helping spinner.  Take an example, Ashwin in 2014 NZ tour in 4 ODIs could not buy a wicket and ended up at an average of 219.  Jadeja struggled as well.  NZ spinners also did not do anything great. This time, spinners from both sides well.  Even NZ is encouraging pitches that would help spin, so that their batsman could learn to play spin starting from domestic cricket.

Pitches have become a tad flatter, not spind friendly. However, for a long time, Indian spinners were spoilt at home with absolute turners. The spinners of today, when it comes to playing abroad, are better than the spinners of the past.A point can be made that Chahal and Yadav would take wickets even in 90's, playing anywhere.

Also, one cant discount the fact that atleast from 2009-2010 onwards, INdian fast bowling has become pacier and more penetrative. The opposition no longer prefers to prepare a green bouncy wicket for Indians for the fear of bundling down to Indian fast bowlers.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×