The Kookaburra softens and doesn’t swing for a long time, says Graeme Smith

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/the-kookaburra-softens-and-doesnt-swing-for-a-long-time-says-graeme-smith-5432090/

Not many moons ago, Virat Kohli made a scathing assessment of the SG ball used for Tests in India, saying, it gets “scuffed up in five overs”… On Friday, while delivering the Jagmohan Dalmiya Lecture at Eden Gardens, former South Africa captain Graeme Smith criticised the quality of the Kookaburra ball as well.

“For me, the ball in Test cricket is a huge issue. I saw some of the boys complaining about the SG. In particular, the Kookaburra ball is letting people down. It’s a ball that softens and does not swing for a long period of time. I think Test cricket cannot afford to have boring draws. It needs the ball to spin; it needs the ball to swing and move in the air. It needs competition between the bat and the ball so as to keep Test cricket stay relevant,” Smith said.

The SG and Kookaburra’s pain could be the Dukes gain in the long run, although the BCCI has decided to stick to the SG for India’s home matches. The company has been asked to improve the quality.

The Indian team will have to deal the Kookaburra red during their Test series in Australia, starting next month. The Indian seamers have traditionally struggled to bowl with the Kookaburra red. Smith, however, has a lot of respect for the present crop of the Indian fast bowlers.

“India’s seam attack is one of the best that we have seen. It’s the whole attack, not just one outstanding bowler,” said Smith, who captained the Saffers in 109 of the 117 Tests he played. He felt that India missed opportunities to win series in South Africa and England but hoped that they would do well in Australia.

“They will be disappointed that they haven’t won the Test series in South Africa and England. Certainly the ability is there. I think they can challenge teams in their own conditions. Hopefully, those two tours have given them some lessons to take going forward into Australia. If the selection panel gets the right combination in place and everyone plays well, I expect India to be very successful in Australia. They have the talent and ability to do well in Australia.”

And Smith was once again effusive in his praise for Kohli. “The world cricket is lacking huge amount of superstars. Maybe, one or two in England… I think Virat is the guy. The fact that he loves Test cricket and puts in performance, it keeps Test cricket relevant in a country that loves the game with IPL and other T20s. It’s huge for the game. As long as Virat keeps promoting Test cricket as an icon and superstar, we all have the chance to keep the game relevant.”