Ambati Rayudu to retire from longer version of game

In a surprise development, India player Ambati Rayudu has decided to retire from the longer version of the game, including Ranji Trophy.

In a communication to the Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA) on Saturday, Rayudu informed that he wanted to focus more on limited-overs cricket and the T-20 format.

"I will continue to play international and domestic matches of the shorter version. And, I take this opportunity to thank the BCCI, HCA, Baroda Cricket Association and also Vidarbha Cricket Association for giving me the opportunities over the years," he said in the letter.

"It has always been an honour to play for Hyderabad and I can never forget the kind of support I got from all those here, including my fellow players, coaches and the officials. And especially, the way I was welcomed back into the BCCI fold after the stint in the rebel ICL," he said.

This has come as a huge surprise to the cricketing circles as Rayudu is expected to join Hyderabad for its second match of the season against Tamil Nadu next week, having missed the season opener against Kerala as he was on national duty.

Link- https://www.sportstarlive.com/cricket/indian/ambati-rayudu-retirement/article25413509.ece

1 minute ago, Khota said:

He is doing the right thing. Tests and crap are dying and this is another  nail in the coffin.

Yes you are right. Test Cricket lost a prodigy today with the retirement of Ambathi Raydud. How will they ever cope with this loss as they try to make test cricket appealing to today’s generation?

test cricket loss and LOI gain. Raydud has made Odi cricket exciting in the middle overs. Kudos to him.

2 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Yes you are right. Test Cricket lost a prodigy today with the retirement of Ambathi Raydud. How will they ever cope with this loss as they try to make test cricket appealing to today’s generation?

test cricket loss and LOI gain. Raydud has made Odi cricket exciting in the middle overs. Kudos to him.

I am glad you recognize his greatness/awesomeness.

Edited by Khota

Following in the footsteps of his CSK captain Dhoni. Why toil in the long format of the game when you can mint money playing limited overs? BCCI should stop the practice of players "retiring" from one format while hanging around like leeches for years together in others. Either players make themselves available for selection in all formats or else GTFO.