Over-aggression, over-stepping - but no over-coaching for Tushar Deshpande

Mosher

The queue for batting at the Shivaji Park Gymkhana Academy was too long. And he had travelled from too far. From Kalyan to Dadar, on a local train. So Tushar Deshpande joined the fast bowlers' queue instead. And how good it was for Mumbai cricket that he did.

Twenty-one wickets in eight previous first-class matches won't pop out of any screen. The statistic that pops out is his 67 no-balls in those eight matches. This is word that travels fast and can stick, but he has something that is usually natural. Pace. The no-ball problem can be sorted, but you can't coach pace if you don't have the basics for it. On a placid pitch at Karnail Singh Stadium, Deshpande had batsmen jumping around, hitting them on the body, getting catches off the glove. So accurate and quick was he that the batsmen didn't have time to get out of the way. And he had six wickets to show for his effort. All this despite struggling with the Delhi pollution. He fielded wearing a mask, and had headaches and a bout of vomiting before the start of the match.

When Deshpande bowled opener Nitin Bhille, the bail flew to the fine leg boundary. Two batsmen gloved him behind when he bounced them. Hooks off his bowling sailed well over the boundary. Deshpande is not too tall - 5'11" perhaps - but he is strong. He has a build similar to that of the man he replaced in the Mumbai side, Shardul Thakur. He has similar pace too. If Thakur had a problem with accuracy when he first broke through, Deshpande's problem is no-balls.

Some Mumbai observers have counted 12 wickets off no-balls before this match. He added Railways' best batsman Arindam Ghosh to that tally. It was one of his four no-balls in this match. Deshpande is a softly spoken young man, but he puts those no-balls down to aggression. And he is aggressive on the field.

"Over-aggression. Sometimes your stride becomes too long, sometimes you over-run, all for pace," Deshpande says.

The good thing, he says, is that now he understands what is happening and when he is going to bowl a no-ball. On day two of this match, he bowled four no-balls. On day three he bowled none. That's because he realised twice that he was going to over-step and pulled out of the delivery. "Now I have started realising," he says. "When you reach the umpire too soon, or just when you are about to enter the delivery stride, you realise. So that is a good thing."

Some coaches say that avoiding no-balls is not as easy as just starting six inches behind from where you usually do, but Deshpande says it is easy, just that he has not been able to do it yet.

The aggression shows in his wicket-taking plans. He admits he is not the kind who will wait for a long time for the batsman to make mistakes. He bowls in short bursts, and makes the batsmen make mistakes. Just bowl stump to stump, and bowl fast, and intimidate the batsmen with bouncers if you need to. The ball thudding into the body of the batsmen could he heard around the Karnail Stadium, where usually the most dominant sound is the train horns from the nearby New Delhi railway station.

Son of an A-Division Mumbai club player, Uday Deshpande, Tushar is an example of someone who is not over-coached and has the intelligence to work things out on his own. He knows his pace is not all natural; it is training, rehab, prehab, technique, everything. He knows he can't afford to be inaccurate at his pace. "Can't just turn up and bowl like a madman." He has already helped Mumbai seal the Vijay Hazare title this year, and if he can keep up what he has done in the season opener, a spot in an A team might not be too far.

Things that stand out regarding Deshpande --

--   Consistent high pace in 50 over games.  (  Have not watched him in 4 day games  ).  Looks quick visually and hurries batters.

--   Hostile bowling style and mindset.  Gets a lot of purchase off the pitch.

--  Gets good bounce even off short of length balls.

--  But is accurate despite being a genuine fast bowler.

--  Can swing the ball too.

-- Is picking a lot of wickets and running through sides this season.

Should be picked for our A-team ASAP.

Edited by express bowling
21 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Don't know but have a feeling he is another Shardul

Shardul used to run out of steam quickly and start trundling. This guy is more quicker and stronger than Shardul. More importantly like @express bowling said he has that fast bowler's mindset and wants to bowl quick. In the few matches that I have seen he has never looked to bowl within himself.

3 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Hopefully he doesnt turn out to be ishan porel....128-32 speeds after hype of 145.

Are you talking about Ishan's pace in U19 WC? Ishan was injured during the U19 WC and so was clocking slower speeds. But don't think Ishan is a 145k bowler more like 133 to early 140's. Bounce is his forte. 

Tushar was matching Aaron for pace in VH trophy. Link for videos of him bowling below,

https://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/vijay-hazare-trophy-2018/deshpande-shocks-bihar-with-523/2001619534

https://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/vijay-hazare-trophy-2018/deshpandes-355-dents-hyderabad/2001619645

The Khaleel matter has shaken me a bit

I was quite excited to see the next crop of young fast bowlers coming through the grass root level,

The same old story with Indian cricket resurfaces yet again with Khaleel dropping pace for line and length,the culture needs to be changed,why we hate genuine fast bowlers,we anticipate great line and length from our young tearaways straightway,

Thats not the way to go,

I fear for their transition to the next phase specially the current incompetent regime wanted a Mustafizur out of a genuine pacer Khaleel

Wud you turn up to Starc ask him to bowl cutters ,slowers like Mustafizur?

Their journey to the next level is a matter of concern,to break into the national side and to bowl strictly according to team management tinkers with their natural ability,im not sure these bowlers may rollback  to their stonger suite or original way of bowling again

So a loss of talent

2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Don't know but have a feeling he is another Shardul

Diffrance between shardul and tushar is length, while shardul was shorter or short of length this guy can hit good length consistently and doesn't hesitate to pitch it up in full length zone, all in all is wicket taking bowler. moreover, he is more accurate and quicker than shardul.

2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

The Khaleel matter has shaken me a bit

I was quite excited to see the next crop of young fast bowlers coming through the grass root level,

The same old story with Indian cricket resurfaces yet again with Khaleel dropping pace for line and length,the culture needs to be changed,why we hate genuine fast bowlers,we anticipate great line and length from our young tearaways straightway,

Thats not the way to go,

I fear for their transition to the next phase specially the current incompetent regime wanted a Mustafizur out of a genuine pacer Khaleel

Wud you turn up to Starc ask him to bowl cutters ,slowers like Mustafizur?

Their journey to the next level is a matter of concern,to break into the national side and to bowl strictly according to team management tinkers with their natural ability,im not sure these bowlers may rollback  to their stonger suite or original way of bowling again

So a loss of talent

Lack of fast bowling culture was a genuine issue a decade ago , I don't think that's the case anymore .  You often hear young pace bowlers claiming they won't cut down on pace for line n lenght these days , so I don't think they are told do that either by coaching / mgmt . In  domestic it's easy to intimidate batsmen with genuine pace can get away with loose balls  , they get a bit of reality check when they play international teams . To survive not just pace , but also good line and lenght becomes important else you get tonked around . Its at this point how they react  is makes/breaks them .Stark does all three , pace , line and lenght well , the reason he is so good .I wouldn't judge khaleel or any other bowler based on a match or two , will see how he comes back 

1 hour ago, jusarrived said:

Lack of fast bowling culture was a genuine issue a decade ago , I don't think that's the case anymore .  You often hear young pace bowlers claiming they won't cut down on pace for line n lenght these days , so I don't think they are told do that either by coaching / mgmt . In  domestic it's easy to intimidate batsmen with genuine pace can get away with loose balls  , they get a bit of reality check when they play international teams . To survive not just pace , but also good line and lenght becomes important else you get tonked around . Its at this point how they react  is makes/breaks them .Stark does all three , pace , line and lenght well , the reason he is so good .I wouldn't judge khaleel or any other bowler based on a match or two , will see how he comes back 

You need not to cut down pace for line and length

He was pretty much bowling well when he was bending his back

The thing is when you have pace as an surprise weapon in placid tracks ,you have more chance of getting a wicket than going wicketless,even on those featherbeds you have to halt the flow of runs by taking wickets,point to be noted im not saying bowl like a bull without thinking,just be at a channel vary your pace

On 11/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, speedheat said:

Diffrance between shardul and tushar is length, while shardul was shorter or short of length this guy can hit good length consistently and doesn't hesitate to pitch it up in full length zone, all in all is wicket taking bowler. moreover, he is more accurate and quicker than shardul.

i am also hearing this that deshpande may play for DESH...seems a better version of shardul or one who could be marginally better than shardul.

good to hear, lets see..