Rohit Sharma should allow Rishabh Pant to keep wickets: Mohammed Azharuddin

SK_IH

Former India captain Mohammed Azharuddin believes Rishabh Pant is a better wicketkeeper compared to Dinesh Karthik and should be allowed by team management to keep wickets in coming matches. “One got to bank on Pant. If he is good enough to keep wickets in Test matches in England than why not T20? And no doubt that he showed better skills in England than Karthik,” Azharuddin told reporters here.

“I honestly feel Rishabh should have kept wickets today. When you are a keeper, you should keep wickets. He is a good player. He has done well. The more he keeps, the more he will learn. I think his keeping needs to improve a lot though,” the Hyderabadi stylist said.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/rohit-sharma-should-allow-rishabh-pant-to-keep-wickets-mohammed-azharuddin/

As discussed even on sports tak, Wicket keeping isn't something which stand in captain decides. There is Coach, Team management & selectors who should tell which player should do wicket keeping and who shouldn't. Stand in captain will go after the series so it's obviously not him to decide who will keep.

Edited by Nikola

Look at the clips of Dhoni's keeping from 2005-06 or DK's keeping in 2004. They are as bad if not worse than Pant.

I remember a stat analysis on Cricinfo which showed DK missing nearly 25% of the chances which was worse than even Kamran Akmal who perhaps has to be the gold standard for the most pathetic WK in int't cricket.  Dhoni's miss rate was around 18% (average for ATG great keepers like Boucher and Gilchrist was 9-10% dropping to those levels from 5-6% in early part of their careers).

Pant so far has not been this bad with chances.