IPL team: Kolkata Knight Riders

Feed

Forget Irfan, what a windfall for Ishant ! 19 years old and still into his first year of international cricket, he has probably earned more money than most players would have made in their lifetimes. Truly, ICL/IPL is the BEST thing that could have happened to players, as far as their incomes is concerned.

David Hussey's IPL participation in doubt David Hussey, the Victoria batsman, may have been purchased for US$625,000 by the Kolkata franchise in the IPL auction, but his county side Nottinghamshire have insisted that he is contracted to play for them this season. More... Cricinfo staff February 23, 2008 338020.jpg Doubts linger over where David Hussey will be headed come April © Getty Images David Hussey, the Victoria batsman, may have been purchased for US$625,000 by the Kolkata franchise in the Indian Premier League's auction, but his county side Nottinghamshire have insisted he is contracted to play for them this season. Hussey's participation in the IPL, which runs from April 18 to June 1, would mean he misses the first five County Championship matches and eight games in the Friends Provident Trophy. Mike Newell, Nottinghamshire's director of cricket, said: "We are currently talking to David and his advisors, so I would prefer not to comment at this stage other than to say that he signed a new two-year contract with us after the end of last season." Hussey was one of the surprise buys at the IPL auction, being picked up well above his initial base price of $125,000. He even outdid his more famous brother, the Test player Michael, who went for $350,000. Unlike Michael, David was reportedly available for the entire tournament, which perhaps was one of the reasons why he sold for a higher price than the likes of Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden

Misbah signs for Kolkata outfit of IPL Pakistan player Misbah-ul-Haq signs up to play for the Kolkata team in the Indian Premier League set to start from April 18. More... Karachi, February 27, 2008 First Published: 20:20 IST(27/2/2008) Last Updated: 20:30 IST(27/2/2008) Pakistan's batting mainstay Misbah-ul-Haq on Wednesday signed up to play for the Kolkata team in the Indian Premier League set to start from April 18. A source close to the Pakistan vice-captain said that Misbah had signed up for Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan's team for $180,000. "Misbah today signed the contract after getting a clearance from the Pakistan Cricket Board," the source told PTI. He said Misbah was sought by the Kolkata team led by former India captain Sourav Ganguly as an afterthought to fill in for some players who might not be available for a period in May when the IPL is on. At the IPL players auction held in Mumbai last week, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Asif, Shoaib Akhtar, Younis Khan, Umar Gul and Kamran Akmal were signed up by different franchise teams. Mohammad Hafeez has also entered into a contract with the IPL.

Use cricket to uplift other sports: Shahrukh The Bollywood actor said he opted for cricket because it is commercially viable for him and not because he favoured the popular sport over other disciplines. More... February 28, 2008 12:26 IST Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan [images], who owns the Kolkata team of the Indian Premier League (IPL), on Wednesday said he opted for cricket because it is commercially viable for him and not because he favoured the popular sport over other disciplines. "Commerce and business are very important in today's world. Cricket is commercially viable and we need to make money from this sport," Shah Rukh said in Pune. However, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi appealed to the superstar to share his celeb status with other sports also. "I am very happy with Chak de India and the work you did for hockey. But I'm disappointed you went back to cricket. I want you to be made the ambassador of the Commonwealth Games and Olympic sports in India," said Kalmadi at the inauguration of the Abhijit Kadam Memorial Football Cup. "There are around 10 nations playing cricket at the moment and over 200 countries competing in Olympic sports. Cricket has many fathers and I would love to have you as the brand ambassador for the Commonwealth Games," he added. However, the comments did not go well with the actor, who took a jibe at Kalmadi. "Please don't feel bad that I am backing only one sport. Sports should be part of our second nature and I am a sportsperson by heart." "I have played hockey and a bit of cricket. I have something to clarify to Kalmadi also ... please don't feel bad that I am backing the cricket team. I need to make money from this sport and then move to other sports," added Shah Rukh. Shah Rukh said he believes that the next step for sports-loving persons like him is to take the money he earns from IPL to other sports. "[My] next step would be to take it [money earned in IPL] to hockey, football, kho kho, also kabaddi and gulli danda," he remarked. The film star said one should not look down upon any sport and added he wants to see the football team playing in the World Cup. "We should not look down upon any sport. We need to use this sport [cricket] to uplift other sports."

Delhi's Chopra signs with Kolkata Chopra will be the second Delhi player, after Ishant Sharma, to turn out for the Kolkata outfit said he didn't regret signing for the Delhi Daredevils, reports Arjun Sen. More... Delhi's Chopra signs with Kolkata Arjun Sen , Hindustan Times Heena Zuni Pandit, March 01, 2008 First Published: 22:20 IST(1/3/2008) Last Updated: 23:10 IST(1/3/2008) DELHI OPENER Aakash Chopra has been snapped up by Shah Rukh Khan's Kolkata IPL franchise. Chopra, who finished top of the run-scorers' charts this Ranji season, signed on the dotted line on Friday. "Negotiations had begun right after the Duleep Trophy and I signed the MoU yesterday," Chopra told HT. Asked whether the back-to-back tons he blazed in the Ranji zonal one-dayers this week had anything to do with the signing, Chopra said: "An agreement was reached well before the one-dayers, these innings had nothing to do with it," Chopra will be the second Delhi player, after Ishant Sharma, to turn out for the Kolkata outfit said he didn't regret signing for the Delhi Daredevils. He termed his decision to sign with Kolkata as 'a logical one'. "Look, Delhi did not approach me, while Kolkata did. They wanted me, and I liked the idea of joining them, so I have no regrets," Chopra said. "And anyway, with Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag in the Delhi side, I don't know how many opportunities I would get," he added. Speaking about the perception people had of him not being a T20 player, Chopra said: "I had been stereotyped as a player only suited for the longer version of the game, no one took me seriously when it would come to one-dayers, or now, T20s. "But the fact is I never got a chance to prove myself, I was asked to do a job - that of blunting the new ball - and did just that," Chopra said "It wasn't fair to judge me without giving me a chance." Chopra, who is currently enjoying a rich vein of form, said he was looking forward to joining the Kolkata team. "Kolkata are a high-profile team. John Buchanan is a coach I can learn so much from, I am really excited," he said. "It will give me a chance to grow as a cricketer, and everyone has to do that."

Kolkata Tigers' owners to meet with CAB Top officials from Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment, the IPL's Kolkata franchise, and the CAB will meet to break the deadlock on hosting league matches at Eden Gardens. More... Indian Premier League Kolkata Tigers' owners to meet with CAB Cricinfo staff March 10, 2008 320916.jpgShah Rukh Khan's Kolkata Tigers hope to play at Eden Gardens © AFP Top officials from Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan's Red Chillies Entertainment, the IPL's Kolkata franchise, and the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) will meet in the city on Tuesday to break the deadlock on hosting league matches at Eden Gardens, one of the world's biggest cricket venues. "There is a meeting tomorrow, since all the top officials of the franchise will be present in Kolkata tomorrow. As we see it, all parties involved are looking to sort this out amicably," a representative of Red Chillies told Cricinfo. The CAB, which holds the lease on Eden Gardens, and Red Chillies had failed to reach an agreement on using the stadium after a dissident section within the local association demanded a larger share of tickets from IPL. The IPL had decided to allot 20% of tickets at every venue for the respective host association and the rest for the franchise, but a section within the CAB demanded more to meet the needs of over 100 affiliated units. "Besides, you can't compare the situation in the other, smaller IPL venues in India with Eden Gardens, which can hold 90,000 spectators. Here, at 80%, the franchise's share will be much more than that of other franchises at their host venues," said a representative from the opposing faction within the CAB. The CAB faction initially demanded a 50% share of tickets but is now willing to settle for "anything between 20% and 50%". But the problem is IPL officials and Red Chillies have refused to budge. Tuesday's talks between the CAB and Red Chillies, on a day when the franchise will unveil its team colours in Kolkata, could lead to a breakthrough.

Ganguly to lead Kolkata Knight Riders The Indian Premier League's Kolkata franchise will be called the Kolkata Knight Riders. The announcement was made by the team's owner, Shahrukh Khan, at a press conference in Kolkata to unveil the team name and logo. The team's captain, Sourav Ganguly, as well as coach John Buchanan were also in attendance. More... IPL's Kolkata franchise announces team name Ganguly to lead Kolkata Knight Riders Cricinfo staff March 11, 2008 The Indian Premier League's Kolkata franchise will be called the Kolkata Knight Riders. The announcement was made by the team's owner, Shahrukh Khan, at a press conference in Kolkata to unveil the team name and logo. The team's captain, Sourav Ganguly, as well as coach John Buchanan were also in attendance. The Kolkata Knight Riders have the likes of Ricky Ponting, Chris Gayle, Ishant Sharma, Shoaib Akhtar, Brendon McCullum, David Hussey, and Umar Gul in their ranks as well as Ajit Agarkar and Murali Kartik.

Kolkata Knightriders launched amidst gloom During the Kolkata Knightriders' launch, there were disappointments about India's failure to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. More... Kolkata Knightriders launched amidst gloom Press Trust Of India Kolkata, March 11, 2008 First Published: 16:20 IST(11/3/2008) Last Updated: 16:23 IST(11/3/2008) Amidst the glitter of launching Shah Rukh Khan's 'Kolkata Knight Riders' for the upcoming IPL, the pain of India's failure to qualify for the Olympic hockey championship for the first time in 80 years struck a discordant note here today. "You did a film on Indian hockey, will you do anything for the game?" a scribe asked the matinee idol during the interaction with the media after the team's logo, mascot, anthem and apparel were unveiled. "It has caused a huge amount of sadness. But we should quickly get over the blame game. We'll win some, lose some. We should put it behind us," Khan said. Referring to Australia's loss to India in the final in the recently concluded triangular cricket series, he said "Australia is not finished after this loss." Recalling the film he had done on women's hockey -- Chak De India, Khan said cricket has turned into business in the country. The profits earned from cricket would be channelised into other games including hockey and football for their development, he said, adding he played hockey as also his father and grandfather. Asked whether his team would pick up some more players in the auction, Khan said "We don't have any money to spend." "Some players will be picked by John and Sourav," he said. Kolkata Knight Riders captain Sourav Ganguly was asked to evaluate the eight teams taking part in the mega buck event. "The T-20 matches reduce the gap between the players. The longer the game, the more you need quality," he said. Expressing happiness for having Ganguly as the captain, Khan described him as his 'favourite' of whom he was a fan. "Sourav has been a big inspiration." "Buchanan and his trainers from Australia know their cricket," he said, adding Bengalis, who are known for their passion for soccer and cricket, should extend support to this team. "Inshallah, we'll win the cup," he said. Ganguly said he felt honoured to be part of the IPL and lead the Kolkata Knight Riders. Watching cricket in Kolkata will be a big difference with 90,000 people cramming the Eden Gardens, the flamboyant left- hander said. "We'll make Kolkata proud." Then turning to Buchanan, he said, "it is a pleasure to work with you John." The Knigh Riders' costume, designed by Manish Malhotra, was also unveiled on the occasion. It will be a mixture of black and golden, the black symbolising goddesss 'Maa Kaali' and the gold, the mark of victory, Khan said. Khan said he would also sport one of the shirts and 'help the players with water in the field when required'. Buchanan said that the IPL would go on to help Indian cricket and provide a wonderful opportunity to players to rub shoulders with quality players from all around the world. It would have long term benefits for Indian cricket, he said. Khan also revealed that a 'Knight Rider' album was on the anvil with several singers and music composers including Usha Uthup and Bappi Lahiri being involved. Ganguly, Buchanan and CAB chief Prasun Mukherjee were presented 'golden' helmets, as also four state cricketers, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Wriddhiman Saha, Sourasis Lahiri and Rohan Banerjee.

King Khan launches Kolkata Knight Riders Kolkata: Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan and his business partners today launched their Indian Premier League (IPL) team -- the Kolkata Knight Riders, with panache.

shah-rukh-ganguly_11032008.jpg

He confirmed that a theme song had been composed by music duo Vishal-Shekhar to cheer the team and plans were in the pipeline for introducing a mascot. Bollywood designer Manish Malhotra, he said, has been roped in to design the jersey for the players . The theme music begins with the line "korbo-lorbo-jitbo", a visual presentation of which was shown before the team was officially launched. The mascot, a Royal Bengal Tiger, has been named Hoog Lee. While launching the mascot, Khan said: "I am the boss of this team and I want Hoog Lee as a permanent member of the team". The jersey is designed in black and gold. Khan explained that 'golden symbolizes spirit of life and black presents the Goddess Kali.' He also said that 'the philosophy of the team would be work-fight-win ( Korbo-lorbo-jitbo) . He also informed that the name of the team was chosen after through research. He explained the name 'Knight Riders' was chosen keeping the mindset of children in mind . Shah Rukh committed if his new venture does well he would definitely do something for Indian hockey and soccer . more...