IPL team: Kolkata Knight Riders

Feed

Wow, SRK is fast-becoming a very important figure. I wouldnt be surprised if, at this rate, he goes on to become some sort of media-moghul, buying up media houses, both print and television and then expand his empire from then on. Maybe, just maybe, he may be following the footsteps of Silvio Berlusconi, the former Italian PM, who used his ownership of major media-companies in Italy to get into politics. A big advantage for him and any brand that is associated with him ( and the brand, in this case, is the Kolkata IPL team) is that there wont be any dearth of publicity. Already, he is the hottest selling star in India, he might soon want to use that position to diversify his frontiers. Hats off to SRK !

Kolkata will be the most popular team, mark my words. And SRK seems to be the only person even trying to promote. The other teams were launched, since then we havent heard anything. And there is no website. There is a website for Kolkata, www.kolkataknightriders.com. Their team colours look nice. They've got Reebok among other brands which would mean more publicity. And SRK would be able to get stars like Deepika and Priyanka etc to come and dance. I was gonna support Delhi since their the closest to Lucknow, but Kolkata have caught my attention in a big way. So i will support them until LKO come along if it ever happens.

Wow' date=' SRK is fast-becoming a very important figure. I wouldnt be surprised if, at this rate, he goes on to become some sort of [b']media-moghul, buying up media houses, both print and television and then expand his empire from then on. Maybe, just maybe, he may be following the footsteps of Silvio Berlusconi, the former Italian PM, who used his ownership of major media-companies in Italy to get into politics. A big advantage for him and any brand that is associated with him ( and the brand, in this case, is the Kolkata IPL team) is that there wont be any dearth of publicity. Already, he is the hottest selling star in India, he might soon want to use that position to diversify his frontiers. Hats off to SRK !
doesnt he already owns B4U tele network or something ?

We have a good bowling attack, says Ganguly No place for one-upmanship, says the captain More... We have a good bowling attack, says Ganguly Special Correspondent No place for one-upmanship, says the captain 2008031456451901.jpg — Photo: AP TALL ORDER: Shah Rukh Khan hands over a helmet to Ishant Sharma at a function in Mumbai on Thursday. MUMBAI: Shah Rukh Khan has moved beyond Chak de India and hockey to the Indian Premier League and cricket, but questions about the Indian men’s team missing an Olympic berth came up at the Mumbai launch of Kolkata Knight Riders on Thursday. “No player goes to lose,” he said when asked about the road ahead for Indian hockey. “We are asking for resignations of people concerned with the sport. This is the time to take a step back, take stock of the situation.” Shah Rukh continued: “Remember we have four years ahead to plan. Our focus should be to build a strong group of players by the time the next World Cup arrives. Once India builds the best team possible, all the gold medals can come back to us.” Kolkata Knight Riders, the IPL’s Kolkata franchise is owned by his company, Red Chillies Entertainment, and will include players from Australia, Pakistan, West Indies besides Indian internationals from different parts of the country. Captained by Sourav Ganguly, the team will be coached by Australian John Buchanan. Asked whether it was difficult to get people from different regions and different backgrounds to play together for one team, he said: “Please don’t bring in regionalism and religion into sport. Once you become a sportsperson, regional and religious differences don’t matter. It is the game that matters,” said Shah Rukh. No issues The team’s captain Ganguly ruled out the possibility of any one-upmanship arising between Akhtar and Ishant over the fastest bowler tag. “We have a good bowling attack for Twenty20. Shoaib Akhtar is one of cricket’s leading pace bowlers and Ishant has just come back from Australia where he proved his worth. Ajit Agarkar is another with ability to bowl fast,” said the ex-India captain. Kolkata Knight Riders will have two current ODI captains in Ricky Ponting (Australia) and Chris Gayle (West Indies). The Indian, given the mantle of captaincy in the IPL, was asked about the problem he may face leading two captains. “Each player has a reputation to defend. When Ponting goes out there to bat for Australia, club or World XI, people coming to watch expect good performance from him. “The same applies to other big names in international cricket. When India toured Australia for the Test matches, we had four ex-captains in Sachin Tendulkar, me, Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble, who is the current Test skipper. India’s display in the Tests was one of the highlights of the tour.” Hoping to win Ishant Sharma, Murali Kartik, Cheteshwar Pujara, Aakash Chopra and Ganguly were presented the Knight Rider helmets by Shah Rukh. IPL commissioner Lalit Modi was also a recipient of the helmet, which is supposed to be a symbol of the team’s ethos. “I chose the name Knight Riders from the term ‘Knights in Shining Armour’ who go out to fight wars. Winning and losing is all part of sport, we will play to win.”

The King & his knights Cheteswar Pujara is escatic to be a part of Kolkata IPL team as he is a big fan of both King Khan and Sourav Ganguly, report G Krishnan & Amol Karhadkar. More... The King & his knights G Krishnan / Amol Karhadkar , Hindustan Times Bangalore / Mumbai, March 14, 2008 First Published: 01:41 IST(14/3/2008) Last Updated: 02:00 IST(14/3/2008) 64a35466-c1b1-4400-9f5d-33b20d03584eHiRes.JPG#@%23@%230 "Rahul (DRAVID) asked me before the auction if I wanted to put together a glamorous team or a winning team," said Vijay Mallya recalling his conversation with the former Indian skipper. "I said glamour can be created but we needed a team which is solid, has experience and the talent to win, keeping in the Royal Challengers' mantra 'winning will be a habit with us'". Despite initial worries that the team boasted of excellent Test players, it was a happy Mallya gushing over "the fantastic blend of experience and young hands" at the launch of the Bangalore team for the Indian Premier League. After putting up with a three-hour delay on Thursday, the invitees would have gone home disappointed, as the event got over within half-an-hour. Thirteen of the 23 players, including captain Dravid, Zaheer Khan, Praveen Kumar, under-19 World Cup heroes Virat Kohli and Sreevats Goswami, appeared in the team's uniform, which was predominantly red. Coach Venkatesh Prasad and chief cricket officer Martin Crowe, smartly attired in blazers, were also present. Pujara excited to be in Ganguly’s team What would a 20-year-old from small-town Rajkot feel if he was in a situation where he got to spend quality time with Shah Rukh Khan, the king of Bollywood, and Sourav Ganguly, the charismatic former Indian captain? Ask Cheteswar Pujara. The promising young Saurashtra batsman, a member of the Kolkata Knight Riders team for the forthcoming Indian Premier League (IPL), shared centrestage with Shahrukh, the owner of the franchise. Ganguly, who will lead the team, Aakash Chopra, Ishant Sharma and Murali Kartik, were also present at Thursday's Mumbai launch of arguably the most glamourous team in the IPL. "Who isn't a fan of Shahrukh?" an excited Pujara asked the Hindustan Times a few hours after meeting Shah Rukh, just before boarding a flight back to his hometown. "I am as big a fan of him as anyone else. It was very very exciting to actually meet him in person." But it wasn't just the glamour that drew Pujara to the IPL. "Ganguly is the hero of Indian cricket," he said. "So it's a great opportunity for me to learn the nuances of the game from him and from other experienced players in the team." Though Pujara was talking serious cricket, he was "amazed" by the glamour quotient that underscored the latest launch of his team. And while Pujara was subdued in the media conference that followed the launch the other youngster in the mix, Ishant basked in the limelight. The new sensation in Indian cricket had everyone in splits when he said that he wanted Shahrukh "to help me meet Katrina Kaif."

Ganguly banking on Umar Gul in Shoaib's absence With speedster Shoaib Akhtar's chances of playing in the Indian Premier League looking dim, Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Sourav Ganguly is banking on another Pakistani pacer, Umar Gul, to deliver the goods in the tournament beginning on April 18. "Umar Gul is in our team. He will serve us well," Ganguly told newspersons in Kolkata when asked about the Rawalpindi Express' absence from his side. More... Ganguly banking on Umar Gul in Shoaib's absence April 14, 2008 19:43 IST With speedster Shoaib Akhtar's [images] chances of playing in the Indian Premier League looking dim, Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Sourav Ganguly [images] is banking on another Pakistani pacer, Umar Gul, to deliver the goods in the tournament beginning on April 18. "Umar Gul is in our team. He will serve us well," Ganguly told newspersons in Kolkata when asked about the Rawalpindi Express' absence from his side. Shoaib is fighting a five-year ban slapped on him by the Pakistan Cricket Board and the IPL authorities made it clear that the speedster would not be allowed to play unless he gets the ban lifted. Meanwhile, Ganguly, who shone with the bat in the third and final Test against South Africa, said he would have no problem adjusting to the Twenty20 format of the IPL. "I'll get to the Twenty20 mode once I practice for a couple of days," he said soon after landing at the NSC Bose International Airport. Ganguly also did not foresee any difficulty in captaining a mixed team comprising stars from various countries in the IPL. "Look, it's after all the same game of cricket. Here also one plays with the bat and the ball," he said. The left-hander was disappointed at missing two hundreds in back-to-back Tests but expressed happiness at the team managing to win the third Test at Kanpur to level the series 1-1. Playing at his best, Ganguly got out at the same score of 87 in the second innings of the second Test at Ahmedabad and the opening essay of the third Test at Kanpur. "I have missed two centuries. This disappointment is there. But both the innings helped the team, which needed these knocks," he said. "But I'm very happy that we could draw the series," he added. Asked about Dhoni's [images] captaincy, Ganguly replied "He did a good job. We won at Kanpur under him." Dhoni became the stand-in skipper for the final match after regular Test captain Anil Kumble [images] was forced to sit out due to groin injury. Today being the Bengali New Year Day, Ganguly was asked how he visualised the next 12 months. "I did well in the year that is now history. I hope to do even better in the current year," he said.

Kolkata Knight Riders' 14-member squad Five foreign players, including West Indies opener Chris Gayle figure in the 14-member Kolkata Knight Riders squad for the Indian Premier League lung-opener against Bangalore Royal Challengers on April 18. The squad announced on Wednesday has New Zealander Brendon McCullum, Australian captain Ricky Ponting, David Hussey and Pakistani Mohammed Hafiz. More... Kolkata Knight Riders' 14-member squad April 16, 2008 19:08 IST Five foreign players, including West Indies [images] opener Chris Gayle figure in the 14-member Kolkata Knight Riders squad for the Indian Premier League lung-opener against Bangalore Royal Challengers on April 18. The squad announced on Wednesday has New Zealander Brendon McCullum, Australian captain Ricky Ponting [images], David Hussey and Pakistani Mohammed Hafiz. The Pakistani duo of Salman Butt [images] and Umar Gul are yet to join the team, while Rawalpindi Express Shoaib Akhtar's [images] participation in the tournament looks dim after he was slapped with a five-year ban by the Pakistani Cricket Board. The IPL authorities have said that Shoaib will not be allowed to play unless the ban is lifted. Zimbabwean Tatenda Taibu is the only foreign recruit for the Knight Riders who has not been included in the 14-member squad though he has practiced with the team. Coach John Buchanan said he was happy with the team. He said the team was announced after discussion with Sourav Ganguly [images] and praised the captain saying "Sourav has a clear idea." Following is the team: Sourav Ganguly (captain), Brendon McCullum, Ricky Ponting, Chris Gayle, David Hussey, Mohammed Hafiz, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Wriddhiman Saha, Ajit Agarkar [images], Ashok Dinda, Murali Kartik [images], Ishant Sharma, Debabrata Das and Iqbal Abdullah.

Kolkata decks up for first IPL match The countdown will be over soon and the entire city of Kolkata is decked up for the first match of superstar Shah Rukh Khan-owned team in the Indian Premier League (IPL) in Kolkata. More... Kolkata decks up for first IPL match Sreya Basu, Indo-Asian News Service Kolkata, April 17, 2008 First Published: 18:40 IST(17/4/2008) Last Updated: 18:56 IST(17/4/2008) The countdown will be over soon and the entire city of Kolkata is decked up for the first match of superstar Shah Rukh Khan-owned Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League (IPL) in Kolkata on Sunday. "Being an actor, I have always thought every thing in larger-than-life perspective. Knight Rider's matches will also be no exception," Shah Rukh told IANS. "At the Eden Gardens, where the matches will be played, we will exhibit two helmets, an 18-carat gold-plated and a diamond studded one, to show the other teams that we are the declared winners. The matches are just child's play for us," Shah Rukh said. "I believe it's my duty to entertain people whether it's in films or in the IPL matches. Though I am not going to dance at the gallery, I will be present at the Eden (Garden). Rani (Mukherjee), Bipasha (Basu) and Kareena (Kapoor) have verbally confirmed their presence. With Kareena, now-a-days, we get a Saif Ali Khan free. So Saif can also be expected. I will personally try to convince John (Abraham) and Karan (Johar) to fly down as well." Let the King Khan do his bit but Kolkata has already made its plans for the matches. "We have arranged for a procession from Hatibagan in central Kolkata to the Eden Gardens. Twenty belly dancers will dance their way to the ground on a 16-wheeled container trailer," said Arnab Roy, joint secretary of Shah Rukh Khan Fans Club. Roy said this is the first time in the history of the Eden Gardens that the supporters will enter the grounds with drums and play them at the gallery. "We will also decorate the gallery with Knight Riders flags, banners and festoons. Shah Rukh has promised to help us deck up the gallery," he added. Fans of Sourav Ganguly, captain of the Knight Riders, and Shah Rukh will arrange mass screening of all matches at selected places across the city. Already golden-black hoardings and posters of the 'Knights', with their faces painted in gold and with determined looks, are evoking an air of excitement in all Kolkatans. Ticket sales for the IPL matches began here Monday. Since then, there has been a beeline outside the Cricket Association Of Bengal (CAB) ticket counters. "All the tickets for the first two Knight Riders matches, on April 20 against Deccan Chargers and April 29 against the Mumbai Indians, are sold out. I am sure tickets for the other five matches will also turn hot cake once Kolkatans get the taste of the first match at Eden (Gardens)," CAB joint secretary Amitabha Bandopadhyay said. Of the 14 matches of the Kolkata Knight Riders, seven will be played at the Eden Gardens ground in Kolkata. The first match of the IPL, will kick start Friday, with Knight Riders battling it out with Bangalore Royal Challengers in Bangalore with the war cry "Korbo, Lorbo, Jeetbo" (Do, Fight, Win).