The last two good knocks that SRT played ... wish the outcomes were different!

In England prior to this series he played a couple knocks including the 91 in Oval, but never seemed to be at ease. In this series in Aus, he played with real fluency in first 4 innings of the series and scored 73 and 80 in two of them. After that it progressively went downhill from there for him. Seems to me that if he had got his 100th hundred in any of these two innings, his record post 2011 WC would have been different (his average was almost 57 before the England tour!!). The pressure of scoring the 100th hundred just wore him down and finally lead to his decline. Also feel like if the first test was won, things would have been different for India. But you can see in this series, it finally came crashing down for all the "maharathis" who served us well in the 2000s. 

I have been critical of SRT especially for his decision to hang around too long, and for his lack of significant contribution when the chips were down, but I must admit that of all the batsman, I loved watching him the most. Growing up watching Gavaskar play was a source of joy, and Kohli is very good, but no one has/had the array of strokes, the pure classical batsmanship, especially of the backfoot, that I have enjoyed more. Kohli can become an ATG, but he will never achieve the aura that SRT had even if Kohli surpasses all of SRT's record. Some of it has to do with how he carries himself on/off the field also. Also the pioneers are always held to a higher regard than folks who follow. 

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

Lol at the gimmick of 100th 100.If something like that can wore down an ATG, then there was something seriously wrong somewhere.

I

Absolutely it can. He is not inhuman. SRT played with the expectations of more than a billion people way more than Kohli will. However, it does not diminish latter's capability as a player. Kohli has clearly shown to be a better clutch player and probably mentally a bit stronger than SRT. It has to do with one's character. SRT was a gentle soul who relied on his talent primarily and secondarily his grit and mental strength. Kohli is a tough SOB who does not take shyt from anyone. That provides an extra edge to his determination. Of course that does not mean he does not have talent. He has it in loads. Toughness without any talent would not have resulted in such success for him so far.