ICC Women's World T20 thread

CoverDrive

Indian team losing to England in the final last year was for me personally the biggest heartbreak in a long time. We have won a lot of trophies in Men's cricket and our team is consistently one of the best. It is not the case for Women's team where starting from grassroots the game is decades behind men's cricket. It lags a lot vs. Australia and England in terms of the support system. We do not have a domestic T20 league and possibly do not even a have a pool of players to support such a league. Railways is the only organization that supports women's cricket and the fame that some players have got post world cup has brought in some endorsements for them. 

Even now BCCI is busy with its politics and cancelled the WI series just before the tournament. Good news is that we have done well in the warmups winning all the three matches against strong opposition. This raises up hopes. 

Mithali Raj has played a couple of fast knocks and obviously Harmanpreet will be very important and she needs to fire big time and bring in her experience. This is going to be a big tournament for Smriti Mandhana who was absolutely amazing in the English T20 season dominating the league. 

Problem has been with the support players and everyone needs to pull their their weight. 

Here is wishing our women best of luck to make us all proud

Great win tonight. We had to win this too make it into semis

Super impressed by the team attitude. Batting was so positive even though we lost wickets at top. Powar seems to have good impact. 

Harman was another level. Her hitting is so good. 

Again super impressed by Jemima who was so classy and comfortable against pace too  

We are over dependent on spin which could back fire against good sides in death

Important win for India. Somehow our team has been nervous against Pakistan and it showed in a below average performance. Quality of cricket through was not great which shows how far women's cricket has to go. Also showed the gap vs. a team like Aus in terms of fielding. 

But a win is a win and this is an improved Pakistan team with some good spinners who can keep things tight. Dropped catches were a big concern for India. Mithali Raj was preferred to open to counter the spin threat from Pakistani women. She played well while Mandhana also got a good knock though she struggled more vs. Spin. Kaur was again in good form. 

IReland match is next and should be easier while Australia match will give a true test of how strong this team is. 

SA and Eng win easily and this shows again the gap between the teams. SA has some of the best pacers in Kapp and Ismail. Ismail who bowls at 120 is considered one of the fastest bowlers. This shows the gap between the women's and men's cricket in terms of physicality. The game is also much behind in terms of how professional it is so you could expect speeds to go up a bit. 

Right now pacers bowl at 100-110 which a spinner in men's cricket can reach while bowling flat. 

Men have been bowling fast since more than a century and women are much behind in terms of numbers and skill level.

SKill levels are going up. You can already see the bowling actions as well as batting techniques get lot better over the last decade. Someone like Jemima shows similar level of technique as an u17 -u15 cricketer though power maybe lower. 

Harmanpreet's sixes seem to be as big as those in men's game. 

Both skill and fitness level have to go up considerably and you will get some very amateurish cricket also even at highest level. But that is part of the growth of the game and to me that makes it so interesting. 

Indian team needs much 

A good win by India over Ireland qualifying for the Semis. For a moment it looked like a competitive match with Ireland not letting India get away with a big total and then starting well. But they did not have the depth and talent to mount a challenge. 

As many have said above Kaur should bat majority of overs. Jemima does not waste balls but i think she should open as she is good against pacers too. Mithali sometimes get stuck and her batting place is up for question. I don't think we can drop her as we still do not have that depth and she provides solidity in case of few wickets. 

I spoke about how the women are getting better at skills. I am very impressed by Radha and Deepti's bowling action and technique. Compare it with bowling action of older generation of women cricketers and you see they are more skilled and polished. 

Kaur should definitely bowl all the time. She is very under rated. She bowls tight and spear it at 95 kph which is similar to off-spinners in men's cricket while medium pacers in women's cricket bowl at 100-110. Against team like Australia they will move around and belt the slower bowlers like Poonam who bowl at 65. Defensive bowling is very important in T20. 

Jemima continues to impress and I am so excited by her talent. In a couple of years she has comfortably moved to the topmost levels without showing any nerves.