Sam Curran what an all rounder

putrevus

1 hour ago, zen said:

If the purpose of this thread is to praise Curran, it is great. If it is to use Curran to bash Pandya, it is not interesting and falls flat 

FTR, Pandya avg 62 in subcon (and has a SR of 96)

Records type batting analysis [change type]
View career summary [change view]
Host country India  remove India from query or Sri Lanka  remove Sri Lanka from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu

Career averages
  Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 11 18 1 532 108 31.29 720 73.88 1 4 2 68 12 Profile
filtered 4 4 0 249 108 62.25 259 96.13 1 2 0 26 10

Guy played under 13s for zim, lived in zim till 2011-2012. 

Played for u19 for England in 2016 u19 wc. But he plays for Eng now in test and how ? looks like Eng found a gem in him. Will be interesting to see how he goes in India, but for sure he wont be a wuss about it. 

He has seen far worse, his farm seized in 2004 --> he wont buckle under pressure of a sport, he wont give a ****. Different breed than the barbie dolls from England.

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

Pandya's technique may not be textbook, but isn't exactly terrible either.  I'm sure you can find videos of him playing a straight drive or cover drive and see for yourself.  He's got a decent enough technique.  But is inexperienced.  I just hope he doesn't end up going the Jadeja route with the bat - Jadeja wasted 3-4 years before he figured out what his effective batting method was - in terms of shot selection.  Because a Jaddu can afford to do that and still be in the team based on his bowing.  Pandya needs to basically hold a place down as #6 batsman.  The bar is a lot higher.  

I was also dimissive of his performance and thought he will not score in sub continent but there is solid technique there to defend and attack.And his role is clear in the side.

In so far as Pandya is concerned, the first problem is his role in the side. Don't think Ind can afford to nurture a no 6 by playing him intl cricket on potential, especially when his bowling is also not up to the mark. 

In ODIs he comes in straightaway because there is a clear cut role but he is too much bits n pieces in tests at the moment.

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

Don't think Ind can afford to nurture a no 6 by playing him intl cricket on potential, especially when his bowling is also not up to the mark. 

In ODIs he comes in straightaway because there is a clear cut role but he is too much bits n pieces in tests at the moment.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

I was also dimissive of his performance and thought he will not score in sub continent but there is solid technique there to defend and attack.And his role is clear in the side.

Not so sure that his role is 'clear'.  Is he in the team as a bowler first?  I don't think he's good enough for that - especially in sub-continent.  

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Agreed.

Not so sure that his role is 'clear'.  Is he in the team as a bowler first?  I don't think he's good enough for that - especially in sub-continent.  

That is ironic on so many levels :laugh:

Curran’s role as a bowler is as clear as daylight when compared to what Pandya’s role is. Relatively speaking

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Agreed.

he is in the team as bowling all rounder currently and he is doing a fine job as of now. if he morphs into a batting all rounder later on that is a different story.Eng generally likes a deep batting line up and he fits into the team nicely.

8 hours ago, zen said:

FTR, Pandya avg 62 in subcon (and has a SR of 96)

Records type batting analysis [change type]
View career summary [change view]
Host country India  remove India from query or Sri Lanka  remove Sri Lanka from query
Ordered by default (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu

Career averages
  Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
unfiltered 11 18 1 532 108 31.29 720 73.88 1 4 2 68 12 Profile
filtered 4 4 0 249 108 62.25 259 96.13 1 2 0 26 10

Only 4 games?  Also It is fine if a batsman is pushed ahead of others because he has bowling skills or vice versa but there is nothing called a “pure allrounder”

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

? don't get the reference...

That’s fine. Just a harmless joke. Fine if you think Indian players are far superior to their gora/Brit Pak counterparts. However all the names you mentioned Ashwin,Jadeja,Moeen Ali and even Woakes all have a defined role as a bowler with batting being an add on.

Only Stokes might slightly fall into the the Pandya category. However it looks like his 100 in SC and 200 in SA played a major part in his team playing him as a proper batsman who is skilled with the ball. Also don’t think Stokes is blocking the spot of any batsman/bowler  who is clearly knocking on the door of selection. Obviously I am not an expert in English cricket so not sure about that.

However guys like Karun Nair and even someone like Shaw and Gill and plenty of bowlers on the cusp of selections have to

Sit out for Pandya’s mythical all round skills. By the way just because I believe Pandya is not working doesn’t automatically make it the the other extreme that I don’t think he is talented.

He has not shown consistency that qualifies him as a pure batsman or a bowler which affects the balance in test cricket.

In LOI he is an absolute must.

15 hours ago, putrevus said:

I have not seen Pandya exhibiting better technique. Sam is showing growth already as cricketer in six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you didnt see his technique when he scored a 100 in SL?   How easily people forget that 100 also came under pressure batting with tail.

10 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Bhuvaneshwar Kumar outscored a lot of batsman in 2014 England tour and is miles ahead of Pandya as a “test” bowler. Doesn’t mean we start batting him at no.6

Which is why Pandya is promoted as he offers balance as he is a better batsman (avg of 62 with a SR of 96 in his strong zone) at #6-7 and can effectively bowl 8-10 overs per inning as the 5th bowler 

PS 

If he had played most of his games in subcon, he may have been called Sehwag part 2 or something as he has an avg of 62 and SR of 96 :dontknow:

Edited by zen
15 hours ago, putrevus said:

I have not seen Pandya exhibiting better technique. Sam is showing growth already as cricketer in six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pandya for sure has a better technique but technique isnt everything.  You have to score runs too.  Technique does not help you score runs.  Akash Chopra was one of the best technically correct batsman you will ever see but he could hardly play any strokes.  And in those conditions in England this time, they encountered, luck played a huge role and mindset.  Attacking batting worked.  Otherwise, Joe Root who is supposed to be very good technically did nothing.  Same with Johnny Bairstaw while Jos Butler who is supposed to be a T20 player scored runs.