I Am Not Here To Compete With Anyone: Rishabh Pant

Switchblade

https://cricketaddictor.com/cricket/i-am-not-here-to-compete-with-anyone-rishabh-pant/

Pant has been seen by many as a slogger. However, the recent outings have surely made many believe that Pant could play red-ball cricket too. And the youngster is a relieved man now.

“That I could play red-ball cricket was important too. My childhood coach Tarak Sinha always maintained that he would not consider me an international player unless I played Test cricket,” Pant told TOI.

He further said that he is not competing for the sole wicketkeeping slot in the team and is more focussed on learning.

“I am not here to compete with anyone. For me, this phase is all about learning. I keep going up to Mahi bhai and pick up things.”

In this cricket-obsessed nation, success in the game brings a huge popularity. The popularity especially on social media could distract the youngsters. However, Pant insists he has learnt how to deal with it.

“Social media is a part of everyone’s life. You can’t ignore it. But I have learnt to keep off-field hype back in my room. And it doesn’t matter if you have played 500 international matches, you are bound to be nervous when you take the field and I believe that’s a good thing,” he added.

Rishabh Pant will now have some busy days ahead due to the tour of Australia. He is a part of the team for all the formats and is likely to feature heavily. When asked about the preparations, he said:

“Ravi sir (coach Shastri) is constantly in touch over the phone. He keeps talking to me about the conditions and how cricket is played in Australia. Rohit (Sharma) bhaiya has told me to give myself some time to settle and then play my game. Mentally, I am already there.”

It's a good thing he is starting his international career at a young age and also has a strong backing from the team management including Kaptaan, who is also from Delhi. He need to grab these opportunities and keep on improving himself. Other talented players like KL Rahul don't have this kind of luxury. So Pant should consider himself lucky and work hard. 

16 minutes ago, Lannister said:

It's a good thing he is starting his international career at a young age and also has a strong backing from the team management including Kaptaan, who is also from Delhi. He need to grab these opportunities and keep on improving himself. Other talented players like KL Rahul don't have this kind of luxury. So Pant should consider himself lucky and work hard. 

It’s Rohit who supported him more not Kohli in fact it was due to Saha’s injury he was selected in the Test squad and because DK failed as a batsman.The Captain who is from Delhi never selected him during the tour of Westindies in 2017 and continued with Yuvraj and Dhoni.Had it been Kohli Pant won’t have played in Chennai.

Edited by Switchblade
4 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

It’s Rohit who supported him more not Kohli in fact it was due to Saha’s injury he was selected in the Test squad and because DK failed as a batsman.The Captain who is from Delhi never selected him during the tour of Westindies in 2017 and continued with Yuvraj and Dhoni.Had it been Kohli Pant won’t have played in Chennai.

There was a talk before the last IPL that there should be a salary cap for uncapped Indian players. At one point, Pant was only brought in to play just one T20 game (his debut match) before mysteriously vanishing from the squad. How do you think it was made possible? And of course, Kohli don't have the balls to go against his master Dhoni, so Pant had to leave for the time being. :giggle:

32 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Playing 10 tests in 2018  with mediocre results (420 runs@24, 1 100 and 1 50 in 18 innings) is not supporting the player? I dare say no other young player has had those kind of opportunities which KL has got. Had he been even moderately successful there, he would have made the ODI middle order slot his own as well. Not to be so far but he is still in all three squads.

Playing 10 tests in 2018  with mediocre results (420 runs@24, 1 100 and 1 50 in 18 innings) is not supporting the player? I dare say no other young player has had those kind of opportunities which KL has got. Had he been even moderately successful there, he would have made the ODI middle order slot his own as well. Not to be so far but he is still in all three squads.

Couldn’t have said better myself, Rahul is still lucky he is in the test squad. If Kohli didn’t back him would he have played 10 tests in different tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 minutes ago, Lannister said:

There was a talk before the last IPL that there should be a salary cap for uncapped Indian players. At one point, Pant was only brought in to play just one T20 game (his debut match) before mysteriously vanishing from the squad. How do you think it was made possible? And of course, Kohli don't have the balls to go against his master Dhoni, so Pant had to leave for the time being. :giggle:

Err, IPL auction was on 28th Jan 2018, Pant played the T20 vs Eng on 1st Feb . This was after he'd scored most runs in domestic T20 tournament including a 32 ball 100 (after hitting a 48 ball 100 in a FC match a few months ago).

Not sure what your point really is.

36 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Pant made his debut against England in 2017 in the T20 format after doing well for Delhi in SMH Param bhai and he toured  Windies as well.He was dropped for home series against Australia and DK replaced him and same in South Africa as well after which he made his return in Srilanka.Now that MS is out of the T20 squad he is an obvious replacement.

23 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Playing 10 tests in 2018  with mediocre results (420 runs@24, 1 100 and 1 50 in 18 innings) is not supporting the player? I dare say no other young player has had those kind of opportunities which KL has got.

And why do you think the team has backed him for 10 Test matches? Did they finally do the right thing or do you think they were doing him a favor? 

29 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Had he been even moderately successful there, he would have made the ODI middle order slot his own as well.

Yup, because Test and ODI performances are totally relevant to each other. While we are at it, let's bring back Rahane and Pujara into ODIs as well. 

27 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Pant made his debut against England in 2017 in the T20 format after doing well for Delhi in SMH Param bhai and he toured  Windies as well.He was dropped for home series against Australia and DK replaced him and same in South Africa as well after which he made his return in Srilanka.Now that MS is out of the T20 squad he is an obvious replacement.

47 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Err, IPL auction was on 28th Jan 2018, Pant played the T20 vs Eng on 1st Feb . This was after he'd scored most runs in domestic T20 tournament including a 32 ball 100 (after hitting a 48 ball 100 in a FC match a few months ago).

Not sure what your point really is.

Any thoughts on why he was dropped for the next T20 series after playing just one game? I am not complaining about his selection as I am more than happy to see youngsters playing but the way he was dropped after playing just one game looks suspicious and this was during the time when the news about the salary cap was doing it's rounds. This couldn't have happened without the consent of Kohli. So @Switchblade I am not sure about Kohli not backing the Delhi players. Every Coach and Captain has some kind of bias towards their state players. But it's perfectly fine as long its the right player who is getting opportunity and Pant is that player. 

Edited by Lannister
3 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Any thoughts on why he was dropped for the next T20 series after playing just one game? I am not complaining about his selection as I am more than happy to see youngsters playing but the way he was dropped after playing just one game looks suspicious and this was during the time when the news about salary cap was doing rounds. This couldn't have happened without the consent of Kohli. So @Switchblade I am not sure about Kohli not backing the Delhi players. Every Coach and Captain has some kind of bias towards their state players. But it's perfectly fine as long its the right player who is getting opportunity and Pant is that player. 

Kohli is a clueless captain when it comes to backing youngsters Pant didn't do well in Windies where he struggled and made 38 and Virat being a reactive captain dropped him for some reason he loves to have experienced players he persisted with Yuvraj in 2017 and then DK was brought back and now Rayudu. In 2017 we played England at home in the T20 series and then our next game was against Windies and then at home we played Aussies and Kiwis perhaps they felt he was not ready or needed some work.If you ask me I think he has backed Dhawan more than Pant.

4 minutes ago, Lannister said:

And why do you think the team has backed him for 10 Test matches? Did they finally do the right thing or do you think they were doing him a favor? 

Yup, because Test and ODI performances are totally relevant to each other. While we are at it, let's bring back Rahane and Pujara into ODIs as well. 

What exactly is your point? You say team doesn't support him and then told he's playing tests regularly, you ask if Team is doing any favor? Don't really understand your argument.

Actually he's played every test in last 2 years when fit. He came back straight into the test team after being injured from Apr-Jun in 2017. A team management which does not support him would have got him back into the squad and then in the 11?

As for the point on Tests vs ODIs, lets look at things from 2017 onwards.

Jan 2017 - He was played 3 ODIs vs Eng in Jan 2017 (scored 8,5, and 11, 22 runs@7 in 3 match series). 

Feb-May - no ODI series for India

June 2017 - Champions Trophy (Rahul was injured)

June 2017 - 5 ODIs vs WI in WI (Rahul was injured)

Aug 2017 - 5 ODIs vs SL in SL (Rahul played 4 of those, scored 4,17, 7, total 28 runs@10) thats a total of 50 runs in 6 ODIs in 2017

Oct 2017 - 5 ODIs vs Aus at home (Part of squad)

Nov 2017 - 3 ODIs vs NZ in India (dropped)

Do you see a pattern here?

32 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Any thoughts on why he was dropped for the next T20 series after playing just one game? I am not complaining about his selection as I am more than happy to see youngsters playing but the way he was dropped after playing just one game looks suspicious and this was during the time when the news about the salary cap was doing it's rounds. This couldn't have happened without the consent of Kohli. So @Switchblade I am not sure about Kohli not backing the Delhi players. Every Coach and Captain has some kind of bias towards their state players. But it's perfectly fine as long its the right player who is getting opportunity and Pant is that player. 

That exclusion was inexplicable. Pant should have been backed back then. But its clear this team management would give preference to have 'experience' at least till 2019 WC

2 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

That exclusion was inexplicable. Pant should have been backed back then. But its clear this team management would give preference to have 'experience' at least till 2019 WC

Then why was he brought in for just one game to see him dropped for the next series, that doesn't seem right. 

13 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Then why was he brought in for just one game to see him dropped for the next series, that doesn't seem right. 

Arey bhai he was in the squad and in the playing eleven for the third t20 game after that we had t20 in Windies where he made a scratchy 38 after that he was dropped as Rohit did not tour Windies and Dhoni and Dk were regulars.

17 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

What exactly is your point? You say team doesn't support him and then told he's playing tests regularly, you ask if Team is doing any favor? Don't really understand your argument.

The team has started to back him only in the recent times and that too only in Test cricket and he has earned every opportunity he got till now. I am not sure what you are complaining about here.  

27 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Actually he's played every test in last 2 years when fit. He came back straight into the test team after being injured from Apr-Jun in 2017. A team management which does not support him would have got him back into the squad and then in the 11?

You need to get your facts right. Go back and learn when and where and why he was dropped from the Test matches when he was in-from. I don't have time to educate you now.

32 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

As for the point on Tests vs ODIs, lets look at things from 2017 onwards.

Jan 2017 - He was played 3 ODIs vs Eng in Jan 2017 (scored 8,5, and 11, 22 runs@7 in 3 match series). 

Feb-May - no ODI series for India

June 2017 - Champions Trophy (Rahul was injured)

June 2017 - 5 ODIs vs WI in WI (Rahul was injured)

Aug 2017 - 5 ODIs vs SL in SL (Rahul played 4 of those, scored 4,17, 7, total 28 runs@10) thats a total of 50 runs in 6 ODIs in 2017

Oct 2017 - 5 ODIs vs Aus at home (Part of squad)

Nov 2017  - 3 ODIs vs NZ in India (dropped)

WOW. That's 8 lines of rant for a grand total of 13 ODI games. I wonder how much you would've typed for Sharma for taking 80 odd games to finally fit in the ODI team. 

11 minutes ago, Lannister said:

The team has started to back him only in the recent times and that too only in Test cricket and he has earned every opportunity he got till now. I am not sure what you are complaining about here.  

You need to get your facts right. Go back and learn when and where and why he was dropped from the Test matches when he was in-from. I don't have time to educate you now.

WOW. That's 8 lines of rant for a grand total of 13 ODI games. I wonder how much you would've typed for Sharma for taking 80 odd games to finally fit in the ODI team. 

Some way to cop out after you run out of arguments. No longer wasting my time arguing with you.

32 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Arey bhai he was in the squad and in the playing eleven for the third t20 game after that we had t20 in Windies where he made a scratchy 38 after that he was dropped as Rohit did not tour Windies and Dhoni and Dk were regulars.

So all his hardwork in SMH was undone by just two games, mind you it was one game per series. DK was not regular back then.