IPL team: (Mohali) Kings XI Punjab

Feed

Shaun Marsh joins Mohali Shaun Marsh, the Western Australia top-order batsman, has signed with Mohali in the Indian Premier League. More... Western Australia batsman a late addition to IPL Shaun Marsh joins Mohali Cricinfo staff April 9, 2008 330749.jpgShaun Marsh used his striking power to become the leading batsman in Australia's Twenty20 competition in 2007-08 © Getty Images Shaun Marsh, the Western Australia top-order batsman, has signed with Mohali in the Indian Premier League (IPL). The confirmation completed a remarkable nine days for Marsh, who has also earned his first Cricket Australia contract and a place on their ODI tour of West Indies. Marsh joins his fellow Western Australia batsman Luke Pomersbach at Mohali. The pair was suspended by the Warriors following a drinking session in November but they will be watched over at Mohali by Tom Moody and Trevor Penney, the Western Australia coach and assistant coach who have also taken the reins of the Indian franchise. "The franchise was in a position to secure another overseas player and Shaun was head and shoulders above all of the players that had not already committed to the IPL," Moody said. "Shaun has made enormous progress this season, and having an opportunity to play in the IPL will help to continue his development into a world-class batsman." Marsh, the son of the former Australia Test opener Geoff Marsh, was the leading run scorer in Australia's domestic Twenty20 competition in 2007-08. He made 290 runs at 58 with a strike-rate of 142.15 and he also had excellent Pura Cup and FR Cup campaigns that helped him win the award as Western Australia's Player of the Year. Although he is yet to make his international debut, Marsh, 24, is viewed as a potential key batsman for Australia in the coming years. "I'm very excited to have the chance to play in a tournament of such high profile," Marsh said. "Like so many others that are taking part, I'm just looking forward to the experience that I wll gain from lining up with so many greats of world cricket. I'm also lucky to be alongside so many familiar faces, with Luke Pomersbach and Simon Katich as team-mates, and Tom and Trevor in the coaching roles, which will be a tremendous boost for my game."

I'll personally sell and autograph tickets: Preity IPL franchise Kings XI Punjab will start sale of tickets for the matches at PCA Stadium on Saturday. More... I'll personally sell and autograph tickets: Preity Agencies Posted online: Friday , April 11, 2008 at 1543 hrs IST Mohali, April 11:: Indian Premier League franchise Kings XI Punjab will start sale of tickets for the matches at PCA Stadium on Saturday. Team co-owner Preity Zinta and Australian paceman Brett Lee would be present to personally sell and autograph the tickets. Tickets are priced in the range of Rs 50-3,000 and people can buy them online as well. There will be exclusive corporate boxes, where viewers will have a great viewing experience along with one of the best hospitality services catering to their needs, officials said. "Brett and me are going to be at the PCA Stadium tomorrow to personally sell and autograph tickets to all the cricket lovers. I would personally want to request all the ardent followers of the sport to come tomorrow at the PCA Stadium and buy tickets to be a part of the cricketing action that we are going to witness in the upcoming days in Mohali," Preity said

In Mohali, it’s all yellow With Yuvraj Singh taking on MS Dhoni, the stakes couldn’t be higher in their opener match of the IPL. KR Guruprasad writes. More... In Mohali, it’s all yellow KR Guruprasad, Hindustan Times Chandigarh, April 18, 2008 First Published: 02:46 IST(18/4/2008) Last Updated: 02:53 IST(18/4/2008) As if it wasn’t odd enough to see both Stephen Fleming and Mutthiah Muralitharan in bright yellow jerseys, the colour of their Chennai IPL team’s jersey and also that of their most bitter on field rivals Australia, the Sri Lankan, on top of that, was wearing a No 7 jersey with Dhoni written on it. 18_04_2008_020_006_002.jpg With many rivals playing with each other and many teammates pitted against each other, Saturday’s match between the Punjab IPL team and the Chennai IPL team promises a rare prospect of Yuvraj plotting the downfall of MS Dhoni, Brett Lee having a go at Matthew Hayden, and Muralitharan trying to outsmart Mahela Jayawardene. “Look, its not about me against Dhoni,” Yuvraj, captain of the Punjab IPL team, said in Chandigarh on Thursday. “We have got some good players and they have got some good players. We are going to be competing as two teams. Obviously, people are going to compare us but the team which plays better cricket will win.” When asked what his strategy against Dhoni would be, Yuvraj said: “Well, I have Brett Lee here. I will ask him to bowl when Dhoni comes out to bat.” 18_04_2008_020_006_024.jpg On Friday, Muralitharan would bowl to Jayawardene, a rare sight, and what would the record-breaking tweaker do? “Try to get him out the first ball,” replied Muralitharan, flashing his trademark smile. Punjab’s coach Tom Moody said, “From my experience as former coach of Sri Lanka, I have seen how Mahela and Kumar handled Murali in the nets, and it would be interesting to see how they tackle him here. “But I would like to see Mahela and Sangakkara belting the hell out of Muralitharan’s bowling..” But Muraltiharan was not about to let this one go. “Maybe they are a bit jetlagged, so…I may have a upper hand here,” he said about his Lankan teammates who flew in to join the team here on Thursday. Lee, in all possibility, would be bowling to Hayden. And when asked whether he would bowl as fast to his Australian mate as he would to Yuvraj, Lee said: “Yeah, I would.” “I have always bowled as well as I could whether I am bowling here or bowling back home. This time I am bowling for Punjab’s IPL team and I will do what is best for the team.” Fleming minced no words when asked how he felt playing under Dhoni’s captaincy. “Dhoni has done a great job in the last few months. He has won the Twenty20 World Cup. Has won the one-dayers in Australia and now a Test match. “I am looking forward to playing with him. And playing under him is not a problem. I have also played under Vettori’s captaincy,” he added. But Yuvraj sought to downplay all this talk about rivals and teammates. “I am excited about this,” he said. “We have been competing against each other and now we will play with them. We have had a practise match yesterday and we will have one more today. We are gelling well. “As I see it, it’s good to meet cricketers from other countries and interact and learn from them. It is a great opportunity for every international as well as local player.” However, Moody put things in perspective. “Cricket has a wonderful way of bringing people together. It doesn’t matter if you have played as a team before or not. Everyone is very much aware of each other’s abilities and what they have achieved in the game. There has been lot of hype regarding this league and so there should be. This is a fantastic tournament and it is going to be exciting to watch so many quality players on the same stage.”

This Punjab team is good I tell ya. And this why. K Goel - Relatively unknown. IK Pathan - India's most consistent all rounder KC Sangakkara - Arguably the world's best batsman right now Yuvraj Singh - India's best ODI player and definitely one of the top-5 best middle order batsman. RR Sarwan - Windies best batsman DPMD Jayawardene - Lanka's best batsman after Sanga S Sohal - Unknown B Lee - World's best bowler, 150+ PP Chawla - Excellent Leg spinner, showed his worth today S Sreesanth - One of India's frontline pacemen, 140+ VRV Singh - Promising pace prospect, 138+ And now compare this, to the Mubai Indians team. ( I chose MI randomly, not to put 'em down) L Ronchi - Promising wicket-keeper batsman ST Jayasuriya - Truly, a former great well past his best RV Uthappa - One of India's front-line middle order batsman DJ Bravo - Decent West Indian all-rounder SS Tiwary - Rookie SM Pollock - Another retired great, possibly not effective as he was before AM Nayar - Promising talent Harbhajan Singh - India's premier spin bowler in LOIs MA Khote - Rookie DS Kulkarni - Rookie A Nehra - Indian international, on a comeback trail. Just to kinda summarize, Punjab has The world's best wicket-keeping batsman ( Sanga), The world's best fast bowler ( Lee), India's best middle order batsman in MO and certainly one of the world's premier T20 batsman ( Yuvi), Windies best batsman, in terms of talent + Runs ( Sarwan), Lanka's second best bat ( Mahela), India's best all-rounder ( Irfan), TWO 140k pacers ( Sree and VRV), a promising leg-spinner ( Chawla) and just two rookies. In comparison, right now, Bombay's only claim to a proven, world class performer, still in active international career, is only Bhajji. The gap between the two teams is massive. Watch out for Punjab, they may lose Lee and Hopes, but their team is pretty good. There are no hesitant plodders or military medium guys, who give runs by the millions.

Punjabi team will compete a lot better after the foreign players start leaving for international duties. Punjab's key international players -- Sanga, Jayawardane will remain with them & as it is, Punjab arent overreliant on Lee or Sarwan to compete. Besides, they've got perhaps the best set of regional players in Pathan, Yuvraj, Sreesanth, Chawla (all have played for India at some level). So they have all the ingredients to be a competent team. Other IPL teams will be severely hurt by the exodus of foreign players. Hayden, Hussey will leave CSK. Symonds will leave DC. McCullum, Ponting will leave Kolkatta, Gayle's already injured.

Its management is the weakest...and Its team is not playing as a team.. i think after the end of this season...they will sell it.. No crowd support... No Intent...very plain team.. and Ness wadia has not even been able to use its players for any business purposes..
Talked too soon, dude? Very lively crowd. There was intent and team is anything but plain...Punjab is a strong contender to be one of the semi finalist.

lol....I have watched many games in sydney and even I never wait for the presentation. I am in a rush to get out first. What kindaa **** analogy is that? and the performance of Punjab just made you eat humble pie and if you still not ready to accept, you will eventually... ahaha...you were talking about wadia and company selling the franchise after failing in first 2 games and crowd being poor for first game...hahahahaha