We need Aaron and Bumrah together in all formats

Cricketics

I want Varun Aaron for world cup squad and sharing the ball with Bumrah. That can be a deadly combo. 

So Aaron is bowling pretty well for a while now since his comeback last year. 

There is too much pressure on Bumrah right now to bowl hard, pace and perform for the team as he is not getting full support of everyone. BK hasn’t been great either. 

I have seen enough youngsters and I feel Aaron is bowling better than a lot of them and I would actually like to see Aaron go to Australia and play on these big grounds and bowl fast, may be in the odi series.

Him in the line up with Bumrah and Bhuvi or Shami are big boost for our bowling for world cup.

We need pace right now and Aaron shiuld be picked right away. 

Huhh! Aaron brigade will be back again. When will you guys learn. You are only going to get disappointment from erratic spray guns  like umesh and aaron. There was a point when their pace was a novelty factor at least to Indian tradition of loads of trundlers making the Indian team. Now it's no longer the case. The upcoming generation of pace bolwers are and will be significantly faster and make more efforts at delivering pace. Now it's time to look at both consistency and control (as appropriate to his speed) and pace. Aaron is one bowler who is always going to remain erratic. Need to move on. 

N.B: I know he is doing good recently. But internationals is different ball game altogether.

Edited by Pollack

Let Aaron play this FC season. Needs to play 8-9 matches and pick 35-40 wickets at least which he has never done in a season. He's bowled on some bowler friendly yracks but has since his countuy stint this year, has shown skills which he was not conssitent with earlier - moving the ball into right hander from good length, consistently hitting the length and pace and not drifting onto the pads often.

And please let him stay away from T20s for now. Good for him to have missed IPL this season and instead spend time in county cricket.

1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is sure, Khaleel is a not looking like the guy who can be the back up. I have limited knowledge about fast bowling but generally see if some bowler has an apparent skill. But what's so special about this guy?

Khaleel seems to be trying too much right now. Its fine for a youngster to try and bowl slow ones and go for variations and stuff so that he is not a one dimensional bowler forever like Ishant, but what has happened here is that he seems to have chaanged his aggressive bowl for which he was picked.

If Bumrah stops going for for his stock stuff like yorkers then he won’t be bowling the way we expect him too and he also won’t be as successfull, similarly Khaleel can’t be trying too much and should revert back to bending his back and bowling the hard pace, which is what he was husy doing earlier and that is how he made it to the team. Since he came to the Indian team, he has been asked or he has been inspired by some devtaji who must have told him to concentrate on line only etc which has taken the juice out of his bowling and it soon will start looking like Jordan Unadkat type of bowling if he doesn’t fix. Its already starting too, as you can see.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Khaleel seems to be trying too much right now. Its fine for a youngster to try and bowl slow ones and go for variations and stuff so that he is not a one dimensional bowler forever like Ishant, but what has happened here is that he seems to have chaanged his aggressive bowl for which he was picked.

If Bumrah stops going for for his stock stuff like yorkers then he won’t be bowling the way we expect him too and he also won’t be as successfull, similarly Khaleel can’t be trying too much and should revert back to bending his back and bowling the hard pace, which is what he was husy doing earlier and that is how he made it to the team. Since he came to the Indian team, he has been asked or he has been inspired by some devtaji who must have told him to concentrate on line only etc which has taken the juice out of his bowling and it soon will start looking like Jordan Unadkat type of bowling if he doesn’t fix. Its already starting too, as you can see.

In a post match analysis for Cricbuzz, Zaheer Khan and Ajay Jadeja had an interesting take on Khaleel. Jadeja prompted Zak to reveal what had Khaleel asked him when they met the other day. Initially Zaheer said it was the general stuff but Jadeja asked him to reveal the exact details and Zak shared they talked about consistency of wrist position, head position, delivery stride, use of the non-bowling arm, something they had spoken to when Khaleel was with Zak at DD. Zaheer seemed very reluctant to make this public.

Not sure if the bowling coach does not want youngsters to approach seniors/mentors. Had happened earlier with another of our bowling coaches, perhaps Eric Simmons and Ishant.

30 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In a post match analysis for Cricbuzz, Zaheer Khan and Ajay Jadeja had an interesting take on Khaleel. Jadeja prompted Zak to reveal what had Khaleel asked him when they met the other day. Initially Zaheer said it was the general stuff but Jadeja asked him to reveal the exact details and Zak shared they talked about consistency of wrist position, head position, delivery stride, use of the non-bowling arm, something they had spoken to when Khaleel was with Zak at DD. Zaheer seemed very reluctant to make this public.

Not sure if the bowling coach does not want youngsters to approach seniors/mentors. Had happened earlier with another of our bowling coaches, perhaps Eric Simmons and Ishant.

Zak is too obsessed about all this.  it has ruined Khaleel's bowling.   Now, he is concentrating too much on wrist, arm position, head position than actually stuff that is bowling fast instead got slower.

Edited by rkt.india
56 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is sure, Khaleel is a not looking like the guy who can be the back up. I have limited knowledge about fast bowling but generally see if some bowler has an apparent skill. But what's so special about this guy?

Khaleel had pace and bounce with good accuracy and ability to bowl good slower balls and yorkers. It seems like Zak has messed up his wrist position and action while trying to develop the ball that nips back into the right handers and this has turned him into a useless trundler like Unadkat. 

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is sure, Khaleel is a not looking like the guy who can be the back up. I have limited knowledge about fast bowling but generally see if some bowler has an apparent skill. But what's so special about this guy? @express bowling @Mosher @rkt.india @Rightarmfast

Earlier this year, in limited over matches, Khaleel was bowling in good areas at high pace. Hitting the deck hard and getting small seam movement and good bounce.  And was bowling good yorkers and slower balls in the end-overs. Had a good bouncer too.  

All this resulted in him having really good domestic 50-over and 20-over 2017-18 season and earned him a berth in our 50-over A-team, where he performed again.

He bowled somewhat similarly in the Asia Cup too.

But, after that, either Zak or Arun or both tried to  " improve " his bowling action and ball release. And these aspects are sort of messed up now.  

Now, he has lost pace and is just placing the ball there.  If there is no swing on offer  (  which is most of the time  )   Khaleel is looking rather innocuous with low pace, inadequate seam movement and not sufficient bounce.

Have we lost another promising pacer to bowling action and ball release tinkering  !!

Edited by express bowling
2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is sure, Khaleel is a not looking like the guy who can be the back up. I have limited knowledge about fast bowling but generally see if some bowler has an apparent skill. But what's so special about this guy? @express bowling @Mosher @rkt.india @Rightarmfast

While a lot of guys here are talking aboout the people who are training him, his action and what not, for me this is what we call ' teething problems'. He has just started his international career. 

He is trying to take a lot in. His dip in pace for me is nothing to be concerned about. He is experimenting. He knows what he should be doing, before long he will correct his errors. Since he is a left armer, if and when he corrects his errors, he will be a decent enough bowler with some variety. This guy is not a finished product, he is a work in progress. Another thing is, Zaheer will never ask a bowler to reduce his pace down. There's no way in the world I would believe that. I am sure that Khaleel is just taking it easy pace wise right now.

Although, I still feel Mavi, Nagarkotti, Siraj, Avesh can be better deal. I doubt though that Aaron will make a comeback.

52 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

While a lot of guys here are talking aboout the people who are training him, his action and what not, for me this is what we call ' teething problems'. He has just started his international career. 

He is trying to take a lot in. His dip in pace for me is nothing to be concerned about. He is experimenting. He knows what he should be doing, before long he will correct his errors.

I hope that happens.  

My only concern is that I can't off-hand think of a single pacer who has lost a lot of pace and got most of it back  (  not talking about an injury induced temporary loss )

Another thing is, Zaheer will never ask a bowler to reduce his pace down. There's no way in the world I would believe that.

Zaheer,  or any other international level pacer,  would never tell or want a young pacer to reduce pace.  But tinkering with bowling action or ball release often result in this happening.  

Having seen and read about so many young Indian pacers of the 2000s and 1990s losing pace due to action tinkering ...  this issue makes me uncomfortable.

There is also the issue of prioritizing.  A take like  " Pacers need to learn to swing the ball both ways, no matter what  ...  if this comes at the cost of some pace reduction, so be it  "  ...  can result in loss of pace too.  

Edited by express bowling
20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I hope that happens.  

My only concern is that I can't off-hand think of a single pacer who has lost a lot of pace and got most of it back  (  not talking about an injury induced temporary loss )

Times are changing. I cant off-hand think of a single instance when India has had so many bowlers capable of bowling 90mph+ What you haven't seen before, is by no means a guarantee it will not happen in the future! 

In any event, bowlers do not lose pace in 3-4 months. One needs to be naive or over enthusiastic romantic to think of such quick change. Bowlers may just choose to bowl slower.

25 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Zaheer,  or any other international level pacer,  would never tell or want a young pacer to reduce pace.  But tinkering with bowling action or ball release often result in this happening.  

Having seen and read about so many young Indian pacers of the 2000s and 1990s losing pace due to action tinkering ...  this issue makes me uncomfortable.

There is also the issue of prioritizing.  A take like  " Pacers need to learn to swing the ball both ways, no matter what  ...  if this comes at the cost of some pace reduction, so be it  "  ...  can result in loss of pace too.  

sounds more to me like an assumption than a fact. And we all know what happens when we assume. We make an ass of ourselves. I believe Zak is a senior enough and responsible player to know the nuances of changes in actions and the repercussions around them. And if you can and I can see the dip in pace, Zaheer could too. More than anybody else, Khaleel himself would be able to know his pace has gone down. And from a boy, who was happy like a child at being able to bowl around 144 in aussie training camp, if theres a serious reason, Khaleel would know himself and do something. Unless, he is doing it intentionally. 

Bottomline is, I dont believe any of these reasons which are ripe on ICF. Let the kid be. He chose fast bowling. He wants to bowl fast, he will. If he doesnt, neither Zak nor Shoaib can make him bowl fast! Its certainly not because of someone else's suggestions. The guy is young, but not an idiot.

26 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Times are changing. I cant off-hand think of a single instance when India has had so many bowlers capabassof bowling 90mph+ What you haven't seen before, is by no means a guarantee it will not happen in the future! 

Sure, it can happen.  And I hope it happens.

But is it a risk worth taking  ?

In any event, bowlers do not lose pace in 3-4 months. One needs to be naive or over enthusiastic romantic to think of such quick change. Bowlers may just choose to bowl slower.

Losing pace,  due to change in action,  can happen rather fast.

sounds more to me like an assumption than a fact. And we all know what happens when we assume. We make an ass of ourselves.

Ok.  I am an ass if that makes you happy.  You seem to be one of those guys who derives pleasure by putting others down even though they are not being insulting at all.  

However, in this case, I am not assuming fully.  Khaleel himself talked about the changes in his action that he has been working on recently, especially his non bowling arm and ball release.  And he mentioned Arun with whom he has been working on these aspects.

And Zak himself talked about his interactions with Khaleel just at the start of the WI series, from which time such changes were noticed in his action.  Yes, we don't know exactly what Zak advised ... which is why I said in my first post of this thread that it is either Zak or Arun or both.

I believe Zak is a senior enough and responsible player to know the nuances of changes in actions and the repercussions around them. And if you can and I can see the dip in pace, Zaheer could too. More than anybody else, Khaleel himself would be able to know his pace has gone down.

Applies to most international cricketers, especially the senior ones.  But mistakes are still made day in and day out.

And from a boy, who was happy like a child at being able to bowl around 144 in aussie training camp, if theres a serious reason, Khaleel would know himself and do something. Unless, he is doing it intentionally. 

Bottomline is, I dont believe any of these reasons which are ripe on ICF. Let the kid be. He chose fast bowling. He wants to bowl fast, he will. If he doesnt, neither Zak nor Shoaib can make him bowl fast! Its certainly not because of someone else's suggestions. The guy is young, but not an idiot.

At the end of the day, results and outcomes will be seen.

19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ok.  I am an ass if that makes you happy.  You seem to be one of those guys who derives pleasure by putting others down even though they are not being insulting at all.  

No, I was not being disrespectful to you. That is just a quote, which we in Bangalore use very often. Its almost like a colloquial. I did not mean to put you down by saying that, neither was it directed at you. It was a general comment. However, I apologise if that was offensive. 

And I do not even put others down. If thats what you feel, then thats how it is. But thats totally incorrect.

Rest of your comments, I do not agree with. I guess we just have to wait and watch how the cookie crumbles.

17 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Rest of your comments, I do not agree with. I guess we just have to wait and watch how the cookie crumbles.

As far as Khaleel is concerned, I just want him to get back his original pace.  Has to happen within the next few months or it will be very difficult.

All the rest are just discussions by concerned fans like me.