Amitabh Bachchan pays off £438,000 of debt owed by 1,398 farmers

Austin 3:!6

Respect for the good intentions of Big B here. 

But paying off debts owed by farmers is not necessarily a good thing overall. This can make a lot of them take further loans and not do much work and spend the cash. When they cannot pay the money eventually, they will keep hoping that someone like the state government or a fat rich guy will payoff the loan. 

18 hours ago, sarcastic said:

But paying off debts owed by farmers is not necessarily a good thing overall. This can make a lot of them take further loans and not do much work and spend the cash. When they cannot pay the money eventually, they will keep hoping that someone like the state government or a fat rich guy will payoff the loan. 

Handouts are never good but others don’t even do that and anyways it is hard earned money and he did something noble so :hatsoff:

On 11/24/2018 at 3:00 AM, sarcastic said:

These farmers haven't cleared their existing loans. Amitabh Bachchan in his act of generosity has. The farmers will have a very poor credit rating or Agro points or whatever is the right financial GoI term for this.. There is no way anyone is going to lend them money again easily. At best they can expect is Krishi Sahakari unions/ or NGOs to help. 

Edited by Mariyam

On 11/25/2018 at 3:59 AM, Mariyam said:

These farmers haven't cleared their existing loans. Amitabh Bachchan in his act of generosity has. The farmers will have a very poor credit rating or Agro points or whatever is the right financial GoI term for this.. There is no way anyone is going to lend them money again easily. At best they can expect is Krishi Sahakari unions/ or NGOs to help. 

I do not know if such things are maintained in India on an accurate basis. What I said is from what I heard in my own region. The farmers who diligently worked hard and paid of the loans were made to look fools when the state government just did "Runa Maafi" for the farmer. But if there is indeed credit ratings etc. and the farmers who took loans are in advantage of taking further loans, then it is really good. 

I wholeheartedly appreciate Big B's generosity here. But perhaps one needs to be careful where one is donating money to. 

2 hours ago, sarcastic said:

I do not know if such things are maintained in India on an accurate basis. What I said is from what I heard in my own region. The farmers who diligently worked hard and paid of the loans were made to look fools when the state government just did "Runa Maafi" for the farmer. But if there is indeed credit ratings etc. and the farmers who took loans are in advantage of taking further loans, then it is really good. 

I wholeheartedly appreciate Big B's generosity here. But perhaps one needs to be careful where one is donating money to. 

Case of farmers is a very difficult thing in entire world. Every government in the world has no option but to be sympathetic. The reason is very simple.

Its very important for varius governments that they do not let farmers hike the prices of their produce on basis of cost of effort and raw material, because its used to feed entire human race on this planet. So what every government does, It gives them money , this way or that way, subsidy, loan, loan waiver. After all, Governments have to keep farmers interested in their farms.