Mithali Raj in a letter to BCCI

ssurenn

I somehow doubt it.

By now i have seen that a lot of senior players just feel that its there birth right to be in the playing eleven.

I have seen this with quite a lot of seniors specially in Asian countries and they feel disrespected if they are dropped.

Same happened with Ganguly also and he was one of the main reasons for India going in such low morale to WC2007.

4 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

I somehow doubt it.

By now i have seen that a lot of senior players just feel that its there birth right to be in the playing eleven.

I have seen this with quite a lot of seniors specially in Asian countries and they feel disrespected if they are dropped.

Same happened with Ganguly also and he was one of the main reasons for India going in such low morale to WC2007.

She was wo(man) of the match in two league games..

Mithali is not a right fit for the team.Powar is doing something which is not done in Indian circles. Ganguly was in news welcoming Mithali to the club.These players like Ganguly, Sachin , Raj and Kapil Dev don't want to accept that their time has passed and it is time for them to hang their boots.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Mithali is not a right fit for the team.Powar is doing something which is not done in Indian circles. Ganguly was in news welcoming Mithali to the club.These players like Ganguly, Sachin , Raj and Kapil Dev don't want to accept that their time has passed and it is time for them to hang their boots.

Can be true for others but definitely not for Mithali Raj. She  is the highest run scorer for women's team acorss formats in last 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever time frame you pick! She's world number 3 batswoman in ODIs and number 9 in T20s. Can't be so bad suddenly. She played every single T20 we played in run up to the WC. How can she suddenly be too slow for the finals. FFS, she was replaced as an opener by a batter who averages 10!

I will not be surprised if Diana Edulji has been interfering in day to day running of the women's team. Back in August, Tushar Arothe was sacked as coach and then also it was reported Edulji has been calling the shots in women's cricket. Both her and Vinod Rai come across as slimy characters who just love being unaccountable yet powerful. 

You forgot to mention a certain someone very relevant today :creep:

36 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Can be true for others but definitely not for Mithali Raj. She  is the highest run scorer for women's team acorss formats in last 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever time frame you pick! She's world number 3 batswoman in ODIs and number 9 in T20s. Can't be so bad suddenly. She played every single T20 we played in run up to the WC. How can she suddenly be too slow for the finals. FFS, she was replaced as an opener by a batter who averages 10!

I will not be surprised if Diana Edulji has been interfering in day to day running of the women's team. Back in August, Tushar Arothe was sacked as coach and then also it was reported Edulji has been calling the shots in women's cricket. Both her and Vinod Rai come across as slimy characters who just love being unaccountable yet powerful. 

Highest scorer means nothing in T20s, have you seen her SR. No coach in world would want to sit a match winner on sidelines.As a coach Powar should have liberty to pick his players and all the players except Raj have been singing praises about him.

They won against Australia without her and so they wanted to play the same team, if they had won it would have been a non story. Result should not dictate whether decision is right or wrong.

Diana has nothing to do with it.Dropping a player from team should not become a national issue.We are nation who cried foul against captain who in order to win declared when so called god was 194 not out.

Powar only thing I can point out is he should have conveyed it to her face his intentions. But we don't know what was going on , as per the letter we can safely assume Raj feels somehow team and nation is obligated to her for her services in past.So they should keep on picking her in playing 11.

I can understand her disappointment but match winner like Kumble was dropped from finals in world cup because captain thought other player gave him better chance to win.But he did not throw a tantrum like this.

Edited by putrevus

Why can't these Indian coaches be straight to the point and convey their messages openly? If they don't want some player in the team, then the player has the right to know the reason behind it. No wonder they lost badly in the Semi finals with all this going on in the background. 

After going through the letter, she has used words like 'humiliating' 'shameful experience'. Why does she feel humiliated to be dropped from the team? Is she bigger than the team? 

17 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Highest scorer means nothing in T20s, have you seen her SR. No coach in world would want to sit a match winner in sidelines.As a coach Powar should have liberty to pick his players and all the players except Raj have been singing praises about him.

They won against Australia without her and so they wanted to play the same team, if they had won it would have been a non story. Result should not dictate when decision is right or wrong.

Diana has nothing to do with it.Dropping a player from team should not become a national issue.We are nation who cried foul against captain who in order to win declared when so called god was 194 not out.

I agree with most of what you said.  But that letter makes for sad reading.  Even if the decision was made to drop Raj for the SF game.  There is absolutely no need for Powar to behave the way he did.  Having said that, its not totally black and white, because Mithali herself confesses to going above Powar's head, to try and get her slot back as an opening batsman.  You do that to a coach, its not surprising that he's retaliating in ways that are at his disposal.  Still not good for Powar to do this, 2 wrongs don't make a right.  He should have handled it better than this.  And Mithali too.  

11 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Why can't these Indian coaches be straight to the point and convey their messages openly? If they don't want some player in the team, then the player has the right to know the reason behind it. No wonder they lost badly in the Semi finals with all this going on in the background. 

After going through the letter, she has used words like 'humiliating' 'shameful experience'. Why does she feel humiliated to be dropped from the team? Is she bigger than the team? 

Its not just about being dropped, its about being ostracized from team activities by someone in power.  I empathize with Mithali on that front.  But then she didn't help her case much by getting the selection committee to intervene on her behalf and overrule the coach.  Its a mess.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I agree with most of what you said.  But that letter makes for sad reading.  Even if the decision was made to drop Raj for the SF game.  There is absolutely no need for Powar to behave the way he did.  Having said that, its not totally black and white, because Mithali herself confesses to going above Powar's head, to try and get her slot back as an opening batsman.  You do that to a coach, its not surprising that he's retaliating in ways that are at his disposal.  Still not good for Powar to do this, 2 wrongs don't make a right.  He should have handled it better than this.  And Mithali too.  

No all it shows is Raj is about herself and not about team.If she does not make a scene this would not have happened.Powar is the coach , he should have communicated with her better but we don't know if raj was responding to him.

These players should know one thing , they are not bigger than the team.

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its not just about being dropped, its about being ostracized from team activities by someone in power.  I empathize with Mithali on that front.  But then she didn't help her case much by getting the selection committee to intervene on her behalf and overrule the coach.  Its a mess.

Isn't team's cause bigger than the individuals? What's the point of playing a team game if you feel humiliated just because you are dropped? You should get behind your teammates and cheer for them. 

But she deserved the reason for being dropped and this is where the coach has failed. She is right in exposing him and his methods. 

13 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Isn't team's cause bigger than the individuals? What's the point of playing a team game if you feel humiliated just because you are dropped? You should get behind your teammates and cheer for them. 

But she deserved the reason for being dropped and this is where the coach has failed. She is right in exposing him and his methods. 

I'm not defending her at all.  Of course the team comes first.  She's got her own fair share of the blame in this mess.  But the coach has mishandled the situation as well.  There's no innocent victim in this shambles.  

Highest scorer means nothing in T20s, have you seen her SR. No coach in world would want to sit a match winner on sidelines.As a coach Powar should have liberty to pick his players and all the players except Raj have been singing praises about him.

They won against Australia without her and so they wanted to play the same team, if they had won it would have been a non story. Result should not dictate whether decision is right or wrong.

Powar only thing I can point out is he should have conveyed it to her face his intentions. But we don't know what was going on , as per the letter we can safely assume Raj feels somehow team and nation is obligated to her for her services in past.So they should keep on picking her in playing 11.

I can understand her disappointment but match winner like Kumble was dropped from finals in world cup because captain thought other player gave him better chance to win.But he did not throw a tantrum like this.

Other than Mandhana, Harmanpreet and Jemima Rodrigues, others batters in this team are not even capable of scoring 20 runs at run a ball. So its not that others are going at 150 and Mithali strike rate is 80-90. Even Mandana and Harmanpreet are at 125-130, Mithali is at 103, IMO that should be acceptable especially when the alternatives are worse than horrible.

BTW have read reports that Romesh Powar was invited by Greg Chappel to coach Aus u-23 spinners and while he was at Brisbane, he earned a level 3 coaching certificate from CA High Performance Center. Not surprised that he wanted to get rid of a 'senior', ignored her thoroughly, totally Chappelesque