Playing Ashwin and Ishant in the same line up means easily leaking 300 runs

Cricketics

They just contain and contain and in one and half days of cricket expect 300+ runs being leaked between both of them if they play together in Australia(200 runs on average Ashwin will leak and 100+ from Ishant).

They might have good odd spell here and there but their main style of bowling is to just contain. We can’t put both of these guys in the same line up. It will hurt the team big time even if they take 2-3 wickets in an inning. 

Kuldeep is the guy who flights the ball and that is what we need in Australia. Give Kuldeep the chance or even Jadeja who can change it up and mix up the deliveries and not look one dimensional. 

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

They just contain and contain and in one and half days of cricket expect 300+ runs being leaked between both of them if they play together in Australia(200 runs on average Ashwin will leak and 100+ from Ishant).

They might have good odd spell here and there but their main style of bowling is to just contain. We can’t put both of these guys in the same line up. It will hurt the team big time even if they take 2-3 wickets in an inning. 

Kuldeep is the guy who flights the ball and that is what we need in Australia. Give Kuldeep the chance or even Jadeja who can change it up and mix up the deliveries and not look one dimensional. 

You can add Umesh to this list. Did you see his performance against the CA XI? He has mostly flattered to deceive in Oz. Shami is inconsistent and unfit, but at least he can snag some wkts. I think Ind's 3rd pacer is a weak link (Shami and Boom-rah are fine). As for spinners, we need to go with Kuldeep, but I don't know if he has the bowling maturity to pick up wkts on these pitches.

23 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I doubt if a 4-man attack can pick 20 wkts in T1. Would rather play Vihari at 3 and have Che open.

After the 2 missed opportunities in England and SA, I'm OK with playing a bit of defensive cricket in T1.  Especially given that our openers aren't in the best of form, and neither is Rahane.  

But I agree with you in general, we need to give the team every chance to take 20 wickets, that's the only way we can compete in the series. 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

After the 2 missed opportunities in England and SA, I'm OK with playing a bit of defensive cricket in T1.  Especially given that our openers aren't in the best of form, and neither is Rahane.  

But I agree with you in general, we need to give the team every chance to take 20 wickets, that's the only way we can compete in the series.  

I am reminded of the previous tour Down Under. Of course our attack was weaker then, but from what I recall we bowled them out only 2 times in 8 innings. However, if we can get a draw in T1 because of the 6 batsmen policy, I'll gladly take that. The problem is that quite a few batters are out of form, owing to which I think playing a 5 bowler attack (with 2 bowling all rounders) won't make much of a diff in batting compared to a 4 bowler approach.

2 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Add umesh and you get a leak of 400 runs lol but he has been the best bowler in Australia barring SCG 

Umesh "Scattergun" Yadav has an avg of 44. Not sure if it would be considered the best of the current crop. Shami has a lower avg, but was equally unimpressive last time. remains to be seen which of them play, and support bumrah effectively.

3 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Add umesh and you get a leak of 400 runs lol but he has been the best bowler in Australia barring SCG 

Need to forget the stats and numbers.  Ishant may have bad numbers but he's gotta play.  he's a quality 3rd seamer, and Bumrah's a capable lead dog.  If we get 'good' Shami instead of the listless one, we should be OK.   This Aus batting unit is a bit fragile too, don't forget.  Can't stress enough how important its going to  be how we start with the ball.  Especially with that hack Finch in there.  Allow him to get away to a start, and things could get ugly.  But I'm less concerned about the bowling than the batting for T1.  Openers are looking fragile.  And with Shaw out, Mewli in, and Pujara at #3, I can easily see a scenario where we allow the Australians to dictate terms with the ball early on.  

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Umesh "Scattergun" Yadav has an avg of 44. Not sure if it would be considered the best of the current crop. Shami has a lower avg, but was equally unimpressive last time. remains to be seen which of them play, and support bumrah effectively.

remove SCG stats, his stats are better but he is still unreliable.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Need to forget the stats and numbers.  Ishant may have bad numbers but he's gotta play.  he's a quality 3rd seamer, and Bumrah's a capable lead dog.  If we get 'good' Shami instead of the listless one, we should be OK.   This Aus batting unit is a bit fragile too, don't forget.  Can't stress enough how important its going to  be how we start with the ball.  Especially with that hack Finch in there.  Allow him to get away to a start, and things could get ugly.  But I'm less concerned about the bowling than the batting for T1.  Openers are looking fragile.  And with Shaw out, Mewli in, and Pujara at #3, I can easily see a scenario where we allow the Australians to dictate terms with the ball early on.  

from our bowling perspective, khawaja will be key. our top order is flaky, but so is our tail. ashwin's batting has regressed (and we know he'll be selected ahead of Sir and kuldeep) and the rest are pretty poor with the bat.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

remove SCG stats, his stats are better but he is still unreliable.

I assumed we are playing at the SCG at some point in the tour. Anyway, it seems to me that Bumrah, Ishant and Shami would be the orthodox picks by the team management.

All the seamers except Bumrah have been far from adequate till this point. Even Bumrah can't be said as fully convincing  because of having played only a few tests in helpful conditions.That being the case playing Ashwin,Jadeja,Kuldeep,Bhuvi  along with Bumrah is the most effective way, it seems.This group can be as effective   as playing  '4seamers + 1 spinner ' & they can together put at least  a few  runs too in every inns.

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Yeah this is easily one of those tours where I have more trust in our bowling than the batters but need many things to fall in place like the toss !