Why didn’t India attack West Pakistan in the 1971 war?

SecondSlip

5 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

Why didn’t we finish Pakistan once and for all after capturing 93,000 of their soldiers!? 

Sanctions. Neither USSR or USA wanted us to dismember Pakistan and change the balance of power in the region and we did not have the resources and power to go on our own with both the Cold War giants against us on that part. 

We were too soft on them with the PoWs, granted. But its probably also due to the same reason India was forced to conclude the war ASAP - US & USSR pressure.

External pressures like China/US etc. They would have militarily interfered from what I read & understood. Besides, we weren't gonna be an occupying force. Hypothetically, if we dismantled their armed forces infra, it would have been rebuilt in the following years with external help. 

Indira was quite a tough leader among those we've had and if she and/or the military didn't see sense, it wasn't worth it. Remember, we were economically weak and not a war mongering nation that was willing to sacrifice many of their soldiers, which was the case with some powers.

15 hours ago, Clarke said:

External pressures like China/US etc. They would have militarily interfered from what I read & understood. Besides, we weren't gonna be an occupying force. Hypothetically, if we dismantled their armed forces infra, it would have been rebuilt in the following years with external help. 

Indira was quite a tough leader among those we've had and if she and/or the military didn't see sense, it wasn't worth it. Remember, we were economically weak and not a war mongering nation that was willing to sacrifice many of their soldiers, which was the case with some powers.

Not only that, but even the USSR clear-cut told us to not destroy Pakistan and they wont support us + will support the Yankees in the UN if we destroyed Pakistan. Rule #1 of cold war era : dont put yourself in a position where the US and USSR will agree with each other against you. Thats the best way to get ass-raped in that entire period.

19 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Not only that, but even the USSR clear-cut told us to not destroy Pakistan and they wont support us + will support the Yankees in the UN if we destroyed Pakistan. Rule #1 of cold war era : dont put yourself in a position where the US and USSR will agree with each other against you. Thats the best way to get ass-raped in that entire period.

The link I shared is basically an essay by Ashok Parthasarthi, an Indira confidante. It suggests that USSR fully backed India even after conquering Dhaka & the ceasfire call post 16 Dec was unanimously Indira's decision with the entire leadership wanting to march into Peshawar for additional gains, mostly territorial such as Kashmir. 

Basic: before everyone start making big Napoleon type strategy.

When u have war, you use weapons. These military weapons need parts as they suffer heavily in real battlefield. Where di you get parts from? 

Supplier, i.e. Russia. If they dont or cant refurbish, Your war cant last long. Every war between India and Pak, West has put arms embargo on both. Luckily, for us, Israel generally ignored the embargo.

Edited by mishra

2 hours ago, mishra said:

Basic: before everyone start making big Napoleon type strategy.

When u have war, you use weapons. These military weapons need parts as they suffer heavily in real battlefield. Where di you get parts from? 

Supplier, i.e. Russia. If they dont or cant refurbish, Your war cant last long. Every war between India and Pak, West has put arms embargo on both. Luckily, for us, Israel generally ignored the embargo.

Israel not respecting arms embargo is irrelevant to us, because they mostly sell small arms and anti-air missiles. anti-air missiles were not really relevant in the 70s and nobody is gonna fight a war with just machine guns and grenades only.

33 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Israel not respecting arms embargo is irrelevant to us, because they mostly sell small arms and anti-air missiles. anti-air missiles were not really relevant in the 70s and nobody is gonna fight a war with just machine guns and grenades only.

Do u even read it? I talked about parts. Countries maintain inventory, which they can or will not share.

21 minutes ago, mishra said:

Do u even read it? I talked about parts. Countries maintain inventory, which they can or will not share.

Do you even know anything about parts ? NATO standardized parts don't fit Russian standardized parts and vice versa. You can't just stuff M-16 ammunition in an AK-47, neither can you use a lug nut from an American tank into a Russian one. Isreal's hardware is NATO standardized. Ours is not.