Rishabh Pant not suitable to bat at No. 6 in Australia, says Anil Kumble

Former India captain Anil Kumble is known for his straightforward views. The 48-year-old remains the last captain to lead India to a Test victory in Australia in 2007-08. Also a former India coach, Kumble recently opened up on various issues related to Indian cricket and he was of the opinion that the wicket-keeper Rishabh Pant is unsuitable for the No.6 batting position Down Under.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

Pant has hit a couple of 90s at No. 6 but in home conditions

Pant, who made his Test debut in England earlier this year, has scored a couple of 90s batting at No.6 in the Windies while he hit his maiden Test ton at the Oval batting at No.7. However, the 21-year-old, who is being seen as the successor of the legendary MS Dhoniin the long run, had an ordinary series in the limited-over matches of late with formers like Sourav Ganguly questioning his wisdom in shot selection at crucial moments of the game.

“No (I don’t see Rishabh Pant as a number 6 in Australia), that’s why I thought when Ashwin moved up the batting order to number six, India should’ve persisted with that. I certainly believe that Ashwin is someone who can contribute at that position, especially when India travel abroad. Even in the last series, Ashwin batted really well, he’s done well overseas. He has the temperament and also the technique. He just needs to be in that position for a longer period of time,” Kumble said in an interview to News 18.

India will face Australia for the first Test at Adelaide Oval starting December 6. While experts are seeing this as one of India’s best chances to win a Test series Down Under since the current Australian team doesn’t have big names like Steve Smith and David Warner, but Kumble felt the hosts have some decent batters down their order and India would need to be aware of that.

It can be mentioned here that the lower order of England kept on troubling India in the series earlier this year and Virat Kohli’s men eventually lost games despite being at advantage.

Going by Pant’s current attitude this is how it is going to end for him.

1st test- He will get peppered with short balls from Starc/Cummins at full throttle, will hook a couple compulsively will get a couple of top edges and then fall right into the Aussie trap where they will have a fielder set for him.

2nd test- will now be over cautious trying to avoid short pitch balls and then suddenly will find himself stuck in a rut and end up poking a ball he should leave and edge to the slips

3rd test- He will play out the fast bowlers cautiously  and then suddenly will face Lyon. His eyes will light up. Will smack him a couple of times and then trying to overcompensate will find an inside edge swinging across the line.

by now Captain “agressive” and alcoholic coach will give him a pep talk about winning mentality and smaaaaashing Aussies and how he should play his “natural” game whatever the f it is.

4th test- He will come in full T20 mode. Will connect a few,edge a few throug slips, get some top edges. Will be on 29(11) kind of a score and suddenly Aussies will bring Lyon and then he will misread the flight and length and mistime one straight to the fielder bringing an end to his Aussie test tour.

Obvioulsy there will be some dismissals due to jaffas from the bowler or helpful conditions or a deteriorating pitch which will account for the remainder.

This is not a reflection on Pant’s talent but this is how our Batting Coach and head coach will be useless passengers as always in guiding youngsters.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

There is a reason why Kumble is not coach anymore. Pant is an opener for his Ranji team , but Kumble thinks Ashwin to be no6 and Pant no 7.

Ashwin so far has shown to  be better equipped at playing the swinging ball than Pant  atleast at an international level against international quality attacks.

Not that Ashwin is a better batsman but Pant is still inexperienced at this level. Nothing wrong with what Kumble has said.

7 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Ashwin so far has shown to  be better equipped at playing the swinging ball than Pant  atleast at an international level against international quality attacks.

Not that Ashwin is a better batsman but Pant is still inexperienced at this level. Nothing wrong with what Kumble has said.

kumble shud have checked then ashwin batting has dipped in recent times , i hve no doubts about about ashwin batting ability but he has been careless with it and it has regressed 

3 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Pant scored a hundred in England and people still think Ashwin is better, give me a break.How is Ashwin better at handling swinging deliveries.

5 minutes ago, gattaca said:

If he makes to Intl. ckt he should be good enough. But didn't you create the thread when he scored 300 to include him in Tests ?

Where am I saying he doesn’t deserve a shot? He along with Kishan are the best 2 young talent in India. I was commenting on the coaching team. Obviously a youngster will be overwhelmed and will try to be audacious. Even guys like Sachin,Dhoni and Kohli were in their earlier days but at times player matured on his own but also good guidance helps. Pant looks like one of those who will take a little longer to understand his game but at the same time coaching is useless as well.

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Only relatively speaking. The knock in England was very good.

I think Ashwin is very overrated in that regard.He looks smooth but his batting has regressed so much, other than WI he has been more like no 8 than no 6.Pant unlike Dhoni is a top order batsmen, I fully expect him to be very good at no6. Yes there will some growing pains but you have to hope he will become better as he gets more experience.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I think Ashwin is very overrated in that regard.He looks smooth but his batting has regressed so much, other than WI he has been more like no 8 than no 6.Pant unlike Dhoni is a top order batsmen, I fully expect him to be very good at no6. Yes there will some growing pains but you have to hope he will become better as he gets more experience.

That’s exactly what I am talking about. In the long run obviously it is expected that Pant should be leagues ahead of Ashwin  as a batsman.

The problem is if he gets a few dismissals cheaply might dent his confidence and I have no faith in Bangar and Shastri.

Kumble is leagues ahead of Shastri as a coach who reads the game and understands technical aspects. Obviously Kumble might not be a social and partying type obviously man management at this level is important too but not the mandatory.

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

That’s exactly what I am talking about. In the long run obviously it is expected that Pant should be leagues ahead of Ashwin  as a batsman.

The problem is if he gets a few dismissals cheaply might dent his confidence and I have no faith in Bangar and Shastri.

Kumble is leagues ahead of Shastri as a coach who reads the game and understands technical aspects. Obviously Kumble might not be a social and partying type obviously man management at this level is important too but not the mandatory.

On what basis you think Kumble is ahead as a coach. Personally Shastri was always thoughts as a very good captain and also a guy who has great rapport with youngsters.This is the guy who after quitting international cricket played one year of domestic cricket just to impart his knowledge. He may come across as lazy.

Coaching at this level is not about technique or talent. Most of them are talented, it is about coach improving temperament and giving confidence to players to perform well.

Edited by putrevus