Sydney police arrest Arsalan Khawaja over alleged UNSW terror hit list, accused of 'framing' colleague

OzGirl

A 39-year-old man has been arrested in western Sydney as part of an investigation into a notebook allegedly outlining plans to kill senior politicians that led to the wrongful imprisonment of a UNSW employee.

Key points:

• Arsalan Khawaja is not accused of intending to carry out the attack, but framing a colleague
  • The list allegedly included potential targets including the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge
  • Police dropped charges against Mohamed Nizamdeen after a handwriting expert could not prove he penned the material

NSW Police detained Arsalan Khawaja, the brother of Test cricket star Usman Khawaja, over the alleged terror hit list, which was found in an office in the same building as the university's library earlier this year.

The book contained plans to kill the former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, his then-deputy Julie Bishop and former speaker Bronwyn Bishop, as well as a blueprint to target train stations and Sydney landmarks such as the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.

The ABC understands the allegation against Arsalan Khawaja is not that he intended to carry out a terror attack, but that he framed his colleague, 25-year-old Mohamed Nizamdeen, in a dispute over a woman.

The PHD student spent a month in solitary confinement at Goulburn supermax jail before he was released when terrorism charges were dropped against him in October.

A handwriting expert failed to prove Mr Nizamdeen had actually written the plans, but police have refused to apologise for the bungled investigation.

Mr Nizamdeen strenuously denied any involvement and is now planning to sue police, previously describing the investigation as "immature, embarrassing and biased".

He was completing a PHD and working as a business analyst at the UNSW IT department at the time of this arrest.

Speaking from his hometown of Colombo in Sri Lanka, Mr Nizamdeen said he would not be returning to Australia because "the whole saga has clearly ruined my future".

"I am completely exonerated, and I hope the media and the Sri Lankan public can help me pick up the pieces of my shattered life," he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-04/arsalan-khawaja-arrested-unsw-terror-list/10580390

Edited by OzGirl

7 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Why do some of these guys even get visas or opportunities to migrate is beyond me, troublemakers everywhere they go . Atleast 80% of them

Wasn't there a cricketer Alcohol Ahmed (fleeing persecution to live in Aus) who instead of focussing on breaking into the Aus team was more concerned about beer slogans on the team shirt hurting his feelings?

1 hour ago, Franco Vazquez said:
  • It seems like a case of girl. I hate people at age 35+ still thinking they can have a sex life

bachchey, sex life before the 30s is like the kid who runs around in the sand-pit imitating he won the olympic gold. You have much to learn...but not enough brain capacity i fear TO learn....

11 hours ago, The Realist said:

Wasn't there a cricketer Alcohol Ahmed (fleeing persecution to live in Aus) who instead of focussing on breaking into the Aus team was more concerned about beer slogans on the team shirt hurting his feelings?

Fawad Ahmed took refugee in Australia but now made himself available for Psl t20 league and is willing to travel to Pakistan.You used to call him Fawad Alcohol Ahmed back in 2013-2014:giggle:.

Usman Khawaja fronted the media to address the situation.

"I won't say much. It's a matter for the police to deal with it," the 31-year-old star told reporters. "Out of respect for the process, it would be inappropriate for me to make any further comment.

"I just ask for you to please respect my privacy and my family's privacy at this time."