philcric

Aus v India | 1st Test | Adelaide | 06-10 Dec 2018

Australia 1 Aaron Finch, 2 Marcus Harris, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Shaun Marsh, 5 Travis Head, 6 Pete Handscomb, 7 Tim Paine (capt & wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Josh Hazlewood

India 1 KL Rahul, 1 M Vijay, 3 Cheteshwar Pujara, 4 Virat Kohli (capt), 5 Ajinkya Rahane, 6 Rohit Sharma/Hanuma Vihari, 7 Rishabh Pant (wk), 8 R Ashwin, 9 Mohammed Shami, 10 Ishant Sharma, 11 Jasprit Bumrah

Fair enough XIs for both teams with 4 frontline bowlers and no all-rounders. Pitch seems to be bowler friendly. Also, 1st test, teams tend to be slightly on the conservative side wrt batting.

For India the 3 pacers selected is largely a straight forward choice. Ash as the spinner is also a fair pick at least for the 1st test, with 5 left hand batsmen in the Aus top 8. Ash generally is quite good against lefties around the wicket, bowling within the stumps line, some turning a bit and some going straight. He usually struggles abroad against righties where the line of attack has to be outside the off stump.

Hope we start off well on Day 1 and take it from there. Good luck to Team India and the ICFers. We need some test wins after the lost opportunities in SA and Eng.

30 minutes ago, beetle said:

:facepalm:bhai...why?

Not a single ball has been bowled in the test and you are already out .

Kyun bhai...why so sad?

Bro itni hope rkhi h aaj tak but u know what we get in return :no:? So hope Ni hogi hurt Kam hoga .

26 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

4 bowler strategy by both sides. Australia going with 4 bowlers, does it indicate they'll prepare a bowling wicket?

Australia has a very potent pace attack playing in home conditions, Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood. While the Indian line up does carry similar pace and skills, the Aussie trio have the endurance and fitness advantage. Lyon can bowl extremely long spells and keep it tight, it's a role he does very well. Plus they have a good all-rounder (a real on not like the fake Sobers) in Mitchell Marsh if required for future games.

4 hours ago, test fan said:

Bro itni hope rkhi h aaj tak but u know what we get in return :no:? So hope Ni hogi hurt Kam hoga .

She is "miss".

BTW I have some hope. For the first time we are going in first test with a attitude to "NOT LOOSING THIS ONE".

We want a win but will take a draw.

Thats major change in attitude.

2 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Yes, or can have Vijay in place of Kohli. I still don't trust Kohli in slips although he was Ok in England.

He will make the same blunder. He is one of the worst slip catcher since years now. Anyone remembers how below par he was against England in India.  

I think they would go for Ashwin rather than Vijay.

1 hour ago, SrinjayDutta said:

What would you guys have done after winning the toss? Say if the green tinge in the pitch stays as is. I believe India's best chance is putting a score on board around 300 no matter what the pitch is.

Bowl first as we don't have the batting to the challenge some of the best fast bowlers on a green pitch. Get Aus out for 200 odd. Hope that the pitch gets relatively easy to bat on as the match progresses .... Our fortune mainly depends upon how many we can get in our first inning. D2 and D3 should be good for batting 

PS looking at how the two teams bat, the match may not go beyond 4 days :dontknow:

Edited by zen

29 minutes ago, mishra said:

Based on look of pitch in above picture. Bat first.

but try to see off first 15-20 overs without loosing more than a wicket.

If that pitch is better than 2 wickets in first 20 overs. Bowl first.

they shud bat 1st only, u do not want to face lyon in 4th innings, they also have part time spin of head

apne pass 1 free ka wkt hai rahane in 4th innings against spin

then rahul ka form bhi kharab

bat 1st , score big and put opp batsman under pressure 

Key wud be to see how rahul bats, i feel if he tries to be to tentative he ll get out....better to play an attacking game which worked for him in oval england

8 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

4 bowler strategy by both sides. Australia going with 4 bowlers, does it indicate they'll prepare a bowling wicket?

Yes pace friendly bowling wicket..

Starc will be a pain for us...I am worried only about Starc.

48 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Do not bat last  in that heat the wicket will crumble. 

U r correct...i think team that bats last may loose this test so if v bat second v shud score much more...4th innings lyon n starc can become deadlier than bumrah and ashwin

6 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Yes pace friendly bowling wicket..

Starc will be a pain for us...I am worried only about Starc.

In frndly coditions Hazzlewood become bigger pain. Between the three they can knock us off by day 1 tea. So bowl first if you have any hesitation about green top given to us.

Bowl first as we don't have the batting to the challenge some of the best fast bowlers on a green pitch. Get Aus out for 200 odd. Hope that the pitch gets relatively easy to bat on as the match progresses .... Our fortune mainly depends upon how many we can get in our first inning. D2 and D3 should be good for batting 

PS looking at how the two teams bat, the match may not go beyond 4 days :dontknow:
I'm mainly afraid that australia don't fold and we would be playing catch up game. Incidentally all ind away matches bar Lord's have been won by batting first this 2018. What you are saying is correct from technical point of view. If the pitch stays green. Tomorrow is 39c in Adelaide.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

I'm mainly afraid that australia don't fold and we would be playing catch up game. Incidentally all ind away matches bar Lord's have been won by batting first this 2018. What you are saying is correct from technical point of view. If the pitch stays green. Tomorrow is 39c in Adelaide.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Decision would have to be taken based on conditions before the toss and considering factors such as:

• The chance of Ind getting bundled out cheaply on Day 1 
  • Conditions becoming relatively easier to bat on D2 and D3
  • Handling spin is relatively a better option for Ind than handling pace on D1 
  • Since we are going with 3 pace bowlers, we have to give them the best conditions to bowl 
  • Looking at the batting of both sides, the chance of the match progressing to D5. The first two days could set the match  

The key for us is to destroy Lyon. Don't let him settle at all and smash him off his lengths.Ibdian batsmen if the past could do that. Not sure about this lot. This would give their pace attack a greater workload and both Hazlewood and Cummins are injury prone . I doubt Shastri thick tank had even thought about it though. 

1 hour ago, SrinjayDutta said:

What would you guys have done after winning the toss? Say if the green tinge in the pitch stays as is. I believe India's best chance is putting a score on board around 300 no matter what the pitch is.

I don't see the pitch super green..so bat first is Ok. I think pitch doesn't look too deadly fast.

But if the pitch is greenish and super bouncy then bowl first and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

The key for us is to destroy Lyon. Don't let him settle at all and smash him off his lengths.Ibdian batsmen if the past could do that. Not sure about this lot. This would give their pace attack a greater workload and both Hazlewood and Cummins are injury prone . I doubt Shastri thick tank had even thought about it though. 

Very good pointers.

I think so that could be a strategy..they have 2 outright fast bowlers starc and Cummins.. if india stretch them a little and hit the other 2 bowlers then these 2 bowlers could end up stretching for long spells.

If one among starc or Cummins breaks down ..we will win the match.

I think hanuma should play but I don't know they could play rohit.

Vihari is a spinner too and will do well in 4th innings.

2 hours ago, zen said:

Decision would have to be taken based on conditions before the toss and considering factors such as:

• The chance of Ind getting bundled out cheaply on Day 1 
  • Conditions becoming relatively easier to bat on D2 and D3
  • Handling spin is relatively a better option for Ind than handling pace on D1 
  • Since we are going with 3 pace bowlers, we have to give them the best conditions to bowl 
  • Looking at the batting of both sides, the chance of the match progressing to D5. The first two days could set the match  

the way we have been playing spin in last few yrs specially off spinner i really hope team isnt considering that any easier then pace 

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the way we have been playing spin in last few yrs specially off spinner i really hope team isnt considering that any easier then pace 

Depends up conditions. On a green pitch, 3 fast bowlers are usually the bigger threat .... Also many times teams lose wkts to spinners as they start to relax and not necessarily because of great bowling. For teams such as Ind playing overseas, pace is likely to offer more challenges on helpful pitches. The highest wkt taker (if not the top two) for Aus in the series is likely to be one of the pacers 

Edited by zen

37 minutes ago, zen said:

Depends up conditions. On a green pitch, 3 fast bowlers are usually the bigger threat .... Also many times teams lose wkts to spinners as they start to relax and not necessarily because of great bowling. For teams such as Ind playing overseas, pace is likely to offer more challenges on helpful pitches. The highest wkt taker (if not the top two) for Aus in the series is likely to be one of the pacers 

its a flat deck, even if they leave grass....its hot ...sun will bake the grass

Spinners shudnt be ignored in australia specially on 4th 5th day when their are some cracks in pitch and these aussie bowlers will leave footmarks to . They shud be equally wary of lyon

they play 4 bowler out of which 3 are pacer so the probability of that is higher 

Guest, sign in to access all features.