Favourite 5 John Ford films

Vijy

Inspired by Zen's earlier thread on the top 5 Hitchcock films. Apart from Hitchcock, John Ford is one of the best known Hollywood directors especially in Westerns. He has won a great deal of critical acclaim from film critics as well as from his peers (4 Oscars from the Academy). His career spanned over 50 years, and ranged from the 1910s to the 1970s.

It's always hard to pick the "top" films, although most will say that The Searchers merits that spot for Ford. Instead, please list your personal favourite 5 John Ford films. I've provided mine below:

(a) The Searchers - enough said

(b) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - a late Western by Ford. In my book, it is the most poetic and elegant of his Westerns.

(c) The Grapes of Wrath - Good book. great adaptation.

(d) The Long Voyage Home - unfairly forgotten film about the difficult lives of sailors. Superb direction.

(e) Wagon Master - the most joyous and simple of Ford's Westerns IMO. Close call between this film and several others.

Favourite 5 Westerns:

(a) The Searchers, (b) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, (c) Wagon Master, (d) Stagecoach, (e) My Darling Clementine/She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Favourite 5 non-Westerns:

(a) The Grapes of Wrath, (b) The Long Voyage Home, (c) Young Mr. Lincoln, (d) They Were Expendable (great film about war that is neither fully pro- or anti-war), (e) The Quiet Man/How Green was my Valley (tough call again, although I may incline towards Valley).

I have not seen John Ford's films recently so difficult to do a Top 5 at the moment .... Films that I liked and remember, from the top of the mind recall, -> Mogambo, The Quiet Man, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, etc. 

Mogambo is the remake of Red Dust 

Edited by zen

31 minutes ago, zen said:

I have not seen John Ford's film recently so difficult to do a Top 5 at the moment .... Films that I liked and remember, from the top of the mind recall, -> Mogambo, The Quiet Man, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, etc. 

Mogambo is the remake of Red Dust 

Mogambo is very good. A lot of fun as well. Great location shooting too.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:28 AM, velu said:

need to google search :p:

watched 3 of his movies ..

1) The searchers - one of the best movies western movies 

2) the man who shot lierty valance

3) stagecoach

all 3 are great westerns.