The little Manjrekar in me

1) The test match was in Adelaide where India has a great record

2) India bats first. India recently looks like completely different team batting second and in last innings can’t bat to save their lives. 

3) Australia without the best test batter and one of the best openers in the world. 

4) India showed glaring flaws in some areas. Ashwin really looks mediocre next to Lyon. The tail showed no resilience. 

I apologise. I am not able to enjoy this victory. To that margin of 30 runs when I add Warner and Smith. The result changes. 

3 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

2) India bats first. India recently looks like completely different team batting second and in last innings can’t bat to save their lives. 

3) Australia without the best test batter and one of the best openers in the world. 

4) India showed glaring flaws in some areas. Ashwin really looks mediocre next to Lyon. The tail showed no resilience. 

I apologise. I am not able to enjoy this victory. To that margin of 30 runs when I add Warner and Smith. The result changes. 

Nothing wrong with how you feel. Only a series victory is an acceptable result for this #1 ranked team against a depleted opponent. While the match was won, Kohli & co made several mistakes which would have given plenty of hope to their opponents for the rest of the series. Instead of a crushing win, we have a close escape.

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Winning against any oz side is no mean feat . you have a better chance of beating a strong saffer side at their home than a weak Oz side ( this is not a weak side , just an in experienced batting linup ) .

India never starts off good , we still won and ideally should only get better as the series progresses .

Agree we need to win the series though , anything less would be disappointing ..but for now I would just enjoy the win .

Agree with the OP's sentiments..

Objectively speaking - this is not a very impressive win.. A P-O-L-I-S-H-E-D test side would have defeated this Australian side by a margin of 200+ runs/7+ wickets in these conditions..The Aussie top and middle order is by far the worst I have seen in my life.. Some people are comparing this win to the one at the same ground in 2003.. Hayden, Langer, Ponting,  Katich, Steve Waugh, Gilchrist all just rolled over in their graves..

The fact that Australia was literally one more small partnership away from winning the game shows that there are still significant vulnerabilities in Indian test line up.. 

39 minutes ago, Ram said:

. A P-O-L-I-S-H-E-D test side would have defeated this Australian side by a margin of 200+ runs/7+ wickets in these conditions.

Wait for it.  It will happen in this series.  We won this test with most of our top order failing most of the time.  The batting will get better for us, no such luck for the aussies - they lack the batting class and are up against a bowling unit that is quality across the board for a change.

If the win means little because of how OZ team is, Shastri would retort now imagine what if we had lost to this Aus team :lol:

PS on a side note, their bowling attack is full strength, and basically 1 player separated the two teams 

Edited by zen
8 hours ago, Ram said:

Objectively speaking - this is not a very impressive win.. A P-O-L-I-S-H-E-D test side would have defeated this Australian side by a margin of 200+ runs/7+ wickets in these conditions..The Aussie top and middle order is by far the worst I have seen in my life.. Some people are comparing this win to the one at the same ground in 2003.. Hayden, Langer, Ponting,  Katich, Steve Waugh, Gilchrist all just rolled over in their graves..

The fact that Australia was literally one more small partnership away from winning the game shows that there are still significant vulnerabilities in Indian test line up.. 

Going by the way we start overseas, I would take this performance knowing we are slow starters. We are lucky the result went our way and I can expect our players to get better as series progresses and with 1-0 ahead, I don’t think Kohli and team will have any room for complacency. 

Yes, there will be moment of struggle as you can expect from any sena series, but overall, I expect them to seal the series here. 

It's a weak aussie side but still pretty strong for home conditions .khwaja,finch,marsh are test regulars for Australia and have great record on their home pattas,handscomb and Paine ain't too bad either at home ,only head and Harris are the weak links.we have to understand that they bat really deep and off course their bowling is full strength. 

I bet this aussie side will defeat most of the intl sides at home except saf maybe 

12 hours ago, Ram said:

Australia in 2003 lost mostly because of their arrogance not because we were a better team.  Aussies even without their first choice bowling attack was a better team in that series.  If people remember, Aussies even in their 2nd innings had scored almost 4 an over, had also scored 4 plus RR in the first innings.  They were going for a win as there was not much time left and in that process kept losing wickets trying to score quickly and could not set a target that their weak bowling attack could defend on an absolute patta wicket.  Also, this Aussie attack was far better than that attack so things even out.  This time they have poor batting and they had second string bowling attack in 2003 and a flatter pitch.

Edited by rkt.india
3 hours ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Wonder how many matches we may have won against them in the past without two of the best cheat-louts playing for them.  Of all the reasons to temper our enthusiasm, this one is at the very bottom.  

Actually, the chief beneficiaries of brainfade and potty mouth's cheating are still playing for Australia. There is no way in hell the Aussie bowlers were unaware of and not a party to ball tampering. The lying cheats escaped with light punishment and have successfully managed to project themselves as victims. 

Lots of solid points being made in this thread... yes, our batting will likely get better as the series goes on, yes this is a comparatively great start knowing our appalling history of staring an away series with a loss and all that....

BUT - 

There was nothing that I saw from the Indian team at Adelaide that led me to believe that they are ready to grab the game by both their hands when the moment presents itself.. Ravi Shastri likes to keep saying the scoreline in England does not reflect how competitive the series actually was.. That maybe semantically true, but the biggest problem with India in England was the fact that, almost every single time the game was in the balance and waited for a team to come forward and seize the initiative, it was England that put their hands up.. 

This Indian team has a 'SEIZING THE MOMENT' problem. It also has a Top order full of Unsure/Uncertain batsmen problem.. And to lose the last 4 wickets for 4 runs in the second innings in Adelaide...What is this - 1997? Has anyone looked at the recent history of test cricket? When two reasonably well matched sides compete, the matches are almost always decided by lower order contributions.. To lose the last 4 wickets in 5 minutes is flat out embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Ram said:

Lots of solid points being made in this thread... yes, our batting will likely get better as the series goes on, yes this is a comparatively great start knowing our appalling history of staring an away series with a loss and all that....

BUT - 

There was nothing that I saw from the Indian team at Adelaide that led me to believe that they are ready to grab the game by both their hands when the moment presents itself.. Ravi Shastri likes to keep saying the scoreline in England does not reflect how competitive the series actually was.. That maybe semantically true, but the biggest problem with India in England was the fact that, almost every single time the game was in the balance and waited for a team to come forward and seize the initiative, it was England that put their hands up.. 

This Indian team has a 'SEIZING THE MOMENT' problem. It also has a Top order full of Unsure/Uncertain batsmen problem.. And to lose the last 4 wickets for 4 runs in the second innings in Adelaide...What is this - 1997? Has anyone looked at the recent history of test cricket? When two reasonably well matched sides compete, the matches are almost always decided by lower order contributions.. To lose the last 4 wickets in 5 minutes is flat out embarrassing. 

I am sure there were several seizing the moment events when India did that at Adelaide and that is why they won despite being 40/4 in the first session itself.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

I am sure there were several seizing the moment events when India did that at Adelaide and that is why they won despite being 40/4 in the first session itself.

Fair. 

Not to be pedantic, but recovering from being 40/4 is more of an Recapture-the-moment example, as opposed to seizing it.. 

My overall point(s) being - 

- This is the Worst Australian batting line-up in the last 30+ years. 

- An accomplished test side would have pummeled this Aussie team (just look at the results from the time when this Australian team toured South Africa earlier this year). 

- Not every win in Australia is created equal. Adelaide-2003 is on a completely different qualitative plane when compared Adelaide 2018. 

- If India truly wants to demonstrate that genuinely deserve the #1 ranking, they should win this series hands down and not eek out slender wins or worse, even lost a test or the series itself..