Kumble the best captain I played under - Gambhir

Gati is saying this to most likely spite Dhoni. Under Kumble we struggled massively at home - draw vs a mediocre Pakistani team and  SA (had to prepare a dodgy track at Green Park to draw the series), drawn tests vs Aussies before retirement and the lost series in SL. Biggest moment was the monkey gate and that entire test series which we should have won if not for Bucknor.

overall, out Test side was on a decline under Kumble while ODI team was doing much better.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Gati is saying this to most likely spite Dhoni. Under Kumble we struggled massively at home - draw vs a mediocre Pakistani team and  SA (had to prepare a dodgy track at Green Park to draw the series), drawn tests vs Aussies before retirement and the lost series in SL. Biggest moment was the monkey gate and that entire test series which we should have won if not for Bucknor.

overall, out Test side was on a decline under Kumble while ODI team was doing much better.

So here is how I look when these past plauers comment about their captains. They are neither wrong and not the most correct om this.

Every captain handles a player differently. For some certain captains will be always better as they backed them more. For example, Dhoni will always be great for guys like jadeja, and why not, Dhoni backed them and got the best out of them.

For Sehwag and co, Ganguly was that person.

Hence we can’t fault kumble’s captain for every player. I personally did not enjoy Kumble’s captaincy but every captain does have some impact on certain players in a positive way and Kumble might have had that on Gambhir. 

“Last year, I had a contract of 2.80 crores, but I didn’t take a single rupee from the IPL as I felt that my 100 runs weren’t worth that much amount. It’s a fact. And I’m not saying that I’ve become god by leaving the amount and I genuinely thought that I didn’t deserve it as I couldn’t perform, both as a batsman and captain,” Gambhir was quoted as saying in Sports Tak.

“I would’ve accepted it happily had I been able to serve the needs of the team. Had I accepted the money even after underperforming then I would’ve spent my entire life in guilt. Sometimes when you listen to your heart, you get more clarity about things and hence I prefer to listen to my heart. And had I thought with my mind, I couldn’t have performed well,” he added.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:40 PM, Cricketics said:

So here is how I look when these past plauers comment about their captains. They are neither wrong and not the most correct om this.

Every captain handles a player differently. For some certain captains will be always better as they backed them more. For example, Dhoni will always be great for guys like jadeja, and why not, Dhoni backed them and got the best out of them.

For Sehwag and co, Ganguly was that person.

Hence we can’t fault kumble’s captain for every player. I personally did not enjoy Kumble’s captaincy but every captain does have some impact on certain players in a positive way and Kumble might have had that on Gambhir. 

interesting to note, he played one and a half test series under Kumble and Kumble wasnt that great either as well in both series. Dont think this could only be about backing as no other captain supported Gauti more in his early days than MSD.

May this is about dressing room chats etc 

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

interesting to note, he played one and a half test series under Kumble and Kumble wasnt that great either as well in both series. Dont think this could only be about backing as no other captain supported Gauti more in his early days than MSD.

May this is about dressing room chats etc 

It's mainly about the attitude, work ethic and accountability. I guess there was less bias, backdoor entries or complacency under Kumble.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:51 PM, ShoonyaSifar said:

I fail to understand how we could have won the series. We lost badly first match. Then the next match we could have drawn if not for *nor. We had a lead but had to survive last day. In the third innings they scored over 400. . Third in perth we won. Fourth in adelaide we hung pn due to Tendulkars 153 and sehwags 151. So at the most draw.