India need to introduce some young and quick bowlers ... who are energetic and can be strike bowlers

Looking at the Indian pace quartet bowling today in the test match in Perth,  only Bumrah looked energetic and raring to go.

The gap between the 1st and the 2nd test match was only 3 days.  The 30 year old Ishant and the 34 year old Shami  (  his supposed real age as per documents provided  )  looked tired and  low on intensity and pace compared to the first test.  And the 31 year old Umesh  ( real age could be higher )   has lost some pace.  

Unless Bumrah was bowling, this looked like a tired and old attack, lacking intensity and pace.

Moreover, only Bumrah seems to be the strike pacer in this team.  All the rest are side characters. This is leading to him being over-bowled.  What will happen if Bumrah misses a couple of test matches due to injury  ?  How will our pace attack look then  ?

Ishant is a good run saving support pacer now ... and that is needed too, but at least 2 strike bowlers are primarily needed.

We need to try 2 or 3 new young pacers in test matches.

Criteria --

1)   They must be genuine wicket takers.  We have support pacers.  We need strike bowlers.

2)   They should have pace and bounce.  So that they can be all condition pacers.

3)  They are young, fit and energetic.  Can sustain pace and intensity throughout the day and the series.

Candidates --

1)  Md. Siraj --  47 wickets in the 8   A-team unofficial tests this year.   Looks like a genuine wicket taker.  Has some pace and bounce and is around 6'1".    Is young and fit.   

2)  Avesh Khan --  28 wickets from only 5 FC matches this season. Average of 16 and SR of 31.  Plus a  4 for 60 against the WI test team in a practice match.  Looks to have found the wicket taking line and length.   He is 6'3" ,   genuinely fast  and bowls a very heavy ball with bounce.    Is only 21 and looks energetic.  Needs to be part of our A-team ASAP.

3)  Ankit Rajpoot -- Great Ranji season so far.  Is  6'3"  and fast medium.  Has a good outswinger and gets bounce.  Is accurate.  Is young and fit.

Don't try mediocre pacers or potential support bowlers  (  like Shardul  ).  We have a good support cast already.

Edited by express bowling

I think we need to bring Siraj & Avesh/Rajpoot. If team management don't have faith in bhuvi for any conditions other than green tops then i think we should move on from him. Umesh has proven he is lethal in home conditions so we can keep him for those conditions but we need to start building up attack for next overseas tour from now on. In batting we have shaw who will get bit matured till next overseas tour but main concern will be all 3 pujara, kohli & rahane will be there till 37-38 age and it will be hard to bring new guys without much games and expect them to perform like those 3.

3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

I think we need to bring Siraj & Avesh/Rajpoot. If team management don't have faith in bhuvi for any conditions other than green tops then i think we should move on from him. Umesh has proven he is lethal in home conditions so we can keep him for those conditions but we need to start building up attack for next overseas tour from now on. In batting we have shaw who will get bit matured till next overseas tour but main concern will be all 3 pujara, kohli & rahane will be there till 37-38 age and it will be hard to bring new guys without much games and expect them to perform like those 3.

First they have to pick batsmen who are not clueless against off spinners. Moeen Ali not once but twice hurt us. Lyon is dominating us. 

10 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

India's current crop of pace bowlers are very very good. World class. If Pandya can add some variety he can also be a good support cast member. 

Very good if Bumrah is playing and Ishant and Shami are fully fit.  And I am one of their biggest supporters.

But where Is the 2nd strike pacer  ?   How did this attack look in the first 2 tests in England when Bumrah was injured  ?

And can we afford 3  " old " pacers in the team  ?

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

First they have to pick batsmen who are not clueless against off spinners. Moeen Ali not once but twice hurt us. Lyon is dominating us. 

Most batsmen will struggle against Lyon and Moeen even home batsmen when these start getting the purchase from the hard rough.  we should rather find some spin bowler who can use that rough for his advantage because we dont get as much from the stumps in these countries unlike India.

Umesh has neither improved nor has retained his pace in all these years

So,introducing Rajpoot,Saini,Siraj etc wouldn't have hurt our chances here

Rajpoot being a tall bowler can harness the bounce available down under,not that he cant bowl pace

Saini is very accurate and can take wickets at pace without being expensive 

Siraj is a high velocity bowler can bowl long spells with same intensity and is a wicket taker 

All the above names our head and shoulders above Umesh in terms of wicket taking  ability,accuracy as of now

4 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Apart from the three mentioned above why not Mavi or Nagarkoti?? We need young pace bowlers who will not lose pace over the course of the spell.

Mavi and Nagarkoti are big big prospects.

But we are talking about test matches here and some FC experience is needed for that.

Nagarkoti is injured and yet to play a single FC match.

Mavi was playing his first season of FC and doing rather well.  Suddenly, he was sent to the Emerging Nations one day tournament, thus missing out on valuable FC experience.  

I am really looking forward to Mavi in the longest format after he completed one full season of FC.

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

Siraj proved his form in the past, performed well against England Lions when Indian team was touring England. Also, he took 8fer against Aus A in September, I really don't know why he has been neglected by the selectors so far.
Saini could also be a valuable addition.

Totally baffling.  I can't come up with a single reason to keep Siraj waiting.  He was in the XIV against WI, but did not play.  I was hoping they were just getting him Team India experience and keeping him fresh for the Aus tour.  But no, he is still languishing in Ind A.  Now, his confidence is bound to be less, they will take him on Melbourne/Sydney roads and if he fails to deliver immediately ... crap I don't even want to think about that.  At least I hope they take him for Tests 3&4 instead of recalling Pandya or taking Thakur or someone like that.

If Kohli is at the helm, we will return to Australia in 2020 with Umesh and Ishant (perhaps even Shami). These seamers have improved their fitness but are still not up to the mark in terms of consistency. Blow hot blow cold pacers and none of them have the pace to complement Bumrah. Kohli does not believe in giving opportunities to young pacers.

2 minutes ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Totally baffling.  I can't come up with a single reason to keep Siraj waiting.  He was in the XIV against WI, but did not play.  I was hoping they were just getting him Team India experience and keeping him fresh for the Aus tour.  But no, he is still languishing in Ind A.  Now, his confidence is bound to be less, they will take him on Melbourne/Sydney roads and if he fails to deliver immediately ... crap I don't even want to think about that.  At least I hope they take him for Tests 3&4 instead of recalling Pandya or taking Thakur or someone like that.

Haven't they announced the squad for all the four test?

6 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Haven't they announced the squad for all the four test?

I don't know ... for some reason I thought it was only for the 1st two.  

Speaking of Siraj, the Ind A tour is done and he is now enjoying the glory of Ranji Trophy against Bengal.  Yesterday he was 15-4-26-0 on some slow-ass dust bowl pitch.  Way to promote promising fast bowlers!!  

We are good one day and huffing and puffing the next day. We have the making of top world class bowling attack but then our bowlers slack. Thats the difference between our bowlers and the ones from South Africa, England and Australia.

Only Bumrah, who has played limited test cricket seems to bowl with passion all the time.

We need to make sure we get the same deliverable from others too. And that can only come if we take some hard calls. If you retain same bowlers every series, then players will sit on their past laurels.  Need to shock some and drop them for some time to send the word out that we need fit cricketers. Youngsters coming in will only make senior pros like shami work harder for their place in the team. Heck it may even push them to work on their fitnesss.