Clarke ignores IPL to spend time with sick father

Feed

The cancer treatment of Michael Clarke's father was one of the reasons the batsman turned down the big money on offer in the Indian Premier League. More... The cancer treatment of Michael Clarke's father was one of the reasons the batsman turned down the big money on offer in the Indian Premier League. Clarke was one of three Australians to withdraw from Wednesday's auction - Brad Haddin and Mitchell Johnson were the others - and he also wanted to concentrate on his international career. However, the condition of his father Les has been a worry for Clarke and he wants to go fishing with him. "He's just finished chemo and radiation treatment and the results have been pretty good," Clarke said in the Sun-Herald. "So I'm looking forward to spending as much time as possible with him. He's bought a fishing charter and he's been wanting me to get out there with him." Clarke said the disease had made him want more time with his family. "It brings you back to reality," Clarke said. "Cricket is a big part of my life but I know now that things can change quickly. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do. Cancer doesn't discriminate. "Things like that can just happen. It makes me want to enjoy every day of my life. It has made me want to appreciate my whole family much more." While his team-mates accept hefty payments for taking part in the IPL, especially if the tour of Pakistan is cancelled, Clarke will focus on the trip to the West Indies starting in May. "I hope to play international cricket for a long time and I hope to make a great living out of it," Clarke said. "But right now it's about making sure I'm fit and healthy. I hope the people in India understand."