Medeival India superhuman strength

MechEng

If anyone has visited Golconda fort, they might know this: There is a 250 kg (550 pounds) iron block at the fort which was used as an exam for people to join the military. The person had to lift the block one in each hand and climb 380 steps to the top for passing the test. That means the person had to carry 1100 pounds of iron weight uphill 380 steps!!!

And this is just to pass the basic army exam!!!

298694833_d3b28089bd_z.jpg?zz=1

golconda-fort-iron-weight-ramesh-hyderab

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

People say rice is bad :finger:

Rice is not bad actually, no food is bad in fact. People in pre industrial revolution era consumed high calorie and carb foods all over the world and balanced it out with a physically active lifestyle before technology existed. It's just that most of us are in desk jobs, so we have to watch what we eat.

1 minute ago, rageaddict said:

Why are you always putting down India's rich heritage and past? 

I put down BS, not the actual rich heritage and past. This type of stuff does more to damage real history than champion it. carrying 1000 pounds up 200 flights of stairs, simply speaking for the medieval average height 5'4 inch tall person, is quite literally 1 in a million feat. Could've been a pehlwani challenge. 

More likey, given the ring shape at the top, it was a counter-weight suspended by rope for something like opening the main door/drawbridge. 

1 hour ago, rageaddict said:

Why are you always putting down India's rich heritage and past? 

He has a sixth sense embedded in his brain where he can detect facts by just looking at the image.

And it's not about Indian heritage here, the average soldier all over the world in 1300 must have had enough strength to deadlift 1000 pounds and it's believable. I shared this because I found it cool.

Edited by MechEng

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

And it's not about Indian heritage here, the average soldier all over the world in 1300 must have had enough strength to deadlift 1000 pounds and it's believable. I shared this because I found it cool.

In this case, I doubt the veracity of the story. Human strength is not regressive, today only bodybuilders and weightlifters can life that much weight, that is with all the advancement in body strengthening, steroids, proteins etc. If an average person could life such weights, I don't think it would be that common. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

In this case, I doubt the veracity of the story. Human strength is not regressive, today only bodybuilders and weightlifters can life that much weight, that is with all the advancement in body strengthening, steroids, proteins etc. If an average person could life such weights, I don't think it would be that common. 

Human strength is regressive, the quality of air, diet and pollution play important role in overall health, muscle mass and frame. The fact that people need artificial stuff to juice up is a proof that it's regressing because they cannot do it naturally. Also there was hardly any technology before industrial revolution, everything required a lot of human labour and interaction, even the wars were arm to arm combats except if you were an archer. 

Edited by MechEng

30 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Human strength is regressive, the quality of air, diet and pollution play important role in overall health, muscle mass and frame. The fact that people need artificial stuff to juice up is a proof that it's regressing because they cannot do it naturally. Also there was hardly any technology before industrial revolution, everything required a lot of human labour and interaction, even the wars were arm to arm combats except if you were an archer. 

False,false and false. Virtually every athletic record has progressively improved from the 1890s, when Olympics started, through the 20s,40s,60s,80s to present times. This is decisive, empiric proof of the PROGRESSIVE nature of human fitness. 

We also see a massive increase in height with first world food consumption quantity and diversity in a population. 

Alexander the Great was 5'2 in height. The average human male in the 17th century was 5'3 or so. If you are telling me that tens of thousands of 5'3 tall men, with modern kineseology-derived training can carry 1100 pounds with their arms while climbing 300 stairs, i'd say you are kidding. If you wish for us to believe that such feat was more than 1 in a million in pre-modern times,i'd say you are making stuff up.

This story is 99.99999999999% BS stuff made up. If not, please show us the written accounts of Ft. Golconda, where the Sultanate kept accurate records we have access to, where such feat of army competence is mentioned.

8 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Not rice but carbs , if you look at diet of sportsmen like Bumrah , they even omitted Roti from their daily diet .Chicken , fish , paneer eggs with few legumes they eat mostly.

Could you please give a link to diet of Bumrah? Thanks. 

It seems that arm bones of women till Middle Ages were up to 30% stronger than Cambridge students of today, or 16% stronger than athlete women of today who train at least 18 hours a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/29/prehistoric-womens-arms-stronger-than-those-of-todays-elite-rowers

//

the research team got hold of ancient bones belonging to women from the early Neolihic period through to the Middle Ages.

They were compared with the bones of Cambridge University Women’s Boat Club members – elite athletes who spend 18 hours every week training and row an average of 120km a week.

Despite these women being in peak physical condition, they were still surpassed by ancient women in terms of arm strength.

In their study, published in the journal Science Advances, lead author Dr Alison Macintosh and her collaborators found that Neolithic women’s arm bones were up to 16 per cent stronger than the rowers’.

This was nearly 30 per cent stronger than the typical Cambridge students who were also analysed.//

3 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

It seems that arm bones of women till Middle Ages were up to 30% stronger than Cambridge students of today, or 16% stronger than athlete women of today who train at least 18 hours a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/29/prehistoric-womens-arms-stronger-than-those-of-todays-elite-rowers

//

the research team got hold of ancient bones belonging to women from the early Neolihic period through to the Middle Ages.

They were compared with the bones of Cambridge University Women’s Boat Club members – elite athletes who spend 18 hours every week training and row an average of 120km a week.

Despite these women being in peak physical condition, they were still surpassed by ancient women in terms of arm strength.

In their study, published in the journal Science Advances, lead author Dr Alison Macintosh and her collaborators found that Neolithic women’s arm bones were up to 16 per cent stronger than the rowers’.

This was nearly 30 per cent stronger than the typical Cambridge students who were also analysed.//

Yeah. Neolithic women/men. Ie, hunter-gatherers. Middle ages they were decisively inferior, as they ate the same diet, but in lesser variety. The average third world farmer eats way more variety today than the average English farmer 600 years ago. Because crops are all international these days, they wern't back then. 

56 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Yeah. Neolithic women/men. Ie, hunter-gatherers. Middle ages they were decisively inferior, as they ate the same diet, but in lesser variety. The average third world farmer eats way more variety today than the average English farmer 600 years ago. Because crops are all international these days, they wern't back then. 

Are we reading the same article?

While according to this article the bones of  Middle ages women were of bigger size than even the elite athletes today.