Harbhajan broke down when apologising for 'monkeygate' - Symonds

Andrew Symonds has claimed that an emotional Harbhajan Singh apologised to him in private - when the pair played together for Mumbai Indians in the IPL in 2011 - for racially abusing him during the 2007-08 "Monkeygate" scandal in India and Australia. Harbhajan, however, denied later on Twitter that he broke down.

Speaking to his former team-mates Adam Gilchrist and Brett Lee for a Fox Cricketdocumentary to air on Monday night, Symonds said that Harbhajan had made the effort to apologise for what had taken place, and how it had affected Symonds, when they became team-mates in 2011.

"We go to a very wealthy man's place for a barbecue, drinks and dinner one night and the whole team's there and he had guests there, and Harbhajan said 'mate, can I speak to you for a minute out in the garden out the front'," Symonds said in Monkeygate: Ten Years On. "He goes, 'look, I've got to say sorry to you for what I did to you in Sydney. I apologise, I hope I didn't cause you, your family, your friends too much harm and I really apologise for what I said, I shouldn't have said it'.

"And he actually broke down crying, and I could just see that was a huge weight off his shoulders, he had to get rid of it. We shook hands and I gave him a hug and said: 'Mate, it's all good. It's dealt with'."

Being idle without any employment is really hard on your body. I recommend everyone to always continue to work even when they get old. No work means, your mind will go twards thinfs where it shouldn’t and you would like to talk about every random things and speak out of your @ss like Symonds might be doing above. Its scary really because thats what happens to average person when he is our of employment after having worked all his life. All of a sudden life change takes a toll.

Symonds is taking panga with the wrong guy. Whole India supported Bhaji dueing Sydney like crazy, whole Indi- will support him even now. Poor chap. 

Just now, Zero_Unit said:

^ this guy ... should have just STFU and taken what Symonds said. Atleast made him sound like a proper human being and earned him some respect. Back to his cockiness.

I have a lot of criticism for Bhajji but in this instance why should he accept what he didn't do? Probably would have said maa ki..and Symonds heard it as monkey. Australians aren't saints either. The moment someone gets into their nerves they begin to lose it.

6 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

I have a lot of criticism for Bhajji but in this instance why should he accept what he didn't do? Probably would have said maa ki..and Symonds heard it as monkey. Australians aren't saints either. The moment someone gets into their nerves they begin to lose it.

Never said Symond was a saint but deep inside we both know this moron probably did actually say monkey lol. And in the long run, he just turnished his name. Should have left it at that and moved on. Some stuffs don't need  reaction always. This is one of those instance, regardless of true/false.

Yeah, I'm sure Bhajji called Symonds a monkey to rile him up. If he was directing something towards Symonds, I don't think he would've done so in a language that Symonds didn't understand. Defeats the whole purpose of sledging. I mean how stupid would it be to look at an Australian and say "maa ki"?

He can't go back on that story now because it would mean that either he lied to everybody including his teammates, or worse, even his teammates knew the truth and joined in the lie to defend him, making certain Indian legends playing in that match liars.

1 hour ago, Zero_Unit said:

Never said Symond was a saint but deep inside we both know this moron probably did actually say monkey lol. And in the long run, he just turnished his name. Should have left it at that and moved on. Some stuffs don't need  reaction always. This is one of those instance, regardless of true/false.

No, we don't believe he said monkey.

44 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Yeah, I'm sure Bhajji called Symonds a monkey to rile him up. If he was directing something towards Symonds, I don't think he would've done so in a language that Symonds didn't understand. Defeats the whole purpose of sledging. I mean how stupid would it be to look at an Australian and say "maa ki"?

He can't go back on that story now because it would mean that either he lied to everybody including his teammates, or worse, even his teammates knew the truth and joined in the lie to defend him, making certain Indian legends playing in that match liars.

That's just your figment imagination. It isn't even clear something to Symonds. If it there would have been stump mic recordings which would have proven Symonds right in front of the judge.

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

Aussie whites used colored man Symonds to create an unnecessary controversy. Like a fool, he gladly went along with the stupid plan and then they threw him out like soiled paper. He should have known better.