Parthiv Patel as a pure opening batsman in tests?

SecondSlip

BUMP. 

With Rohit unavailable for the 4th test, we can make Vihari bat at his normal #6 spot and get Pappu to open the batting with Mayank. He has opened in our Johannesburg test victory and certainly can’t do worse than Vijay and Rahul. 

A playing XI like this can be a match winning one for SCG: 

1. Parthiv Patel 

2. Mayank Agarwal 

3. Cheteshwar Pujara 

4. Virat Kohli (C)

5. Ajinkya Rahane 

6. Hanuma Vihari 

7. Rishabh Pant (WK

8. Ravindra Jadeja 

9. Mohammad Shami 

10. Ishant Sharma 

11. Jasprit Bumrah 

9 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

If Parthiv is opening but not keeping than better to select Pandya or Ashwin and get them to open atleast that way we would have an extra option.

Parthiv opens in LOIs and is a good player of pace bowling. He also opened in the Johannesburg test we won this year and did a decent job. He’s definitely a much better batsman than Pandya and Ashwin. 

Vihari will be much better at #6 as compared to makeshift opener. He did a good job with the ball in Perth and is good enough to be a 5th bowler. 

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

o please, i would still take Rahul or another upcoming domestic performer over Pappu Patel as opener. Pappu Patel's ceiling is 30-35 runs.This should not happen period.

What is Rahul’s ceiling? 5 runs? 

Who are the opening options in the current squad other than Rahul and Vijay? Oh wait, there are none. 

Pappu’s 35 will at least blunt the new ball 

Edited by SecondSlip
4 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

What is Rahul’s ceiling? 5 runs? 

Who are the opening options in the current squad other than Rahul and Vijay? Oh wait, there are none. 

Pappu’s 35 will at least blunt the new ball 

you talking long term or short term. Because neither seems a good option to explore. 

7 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

even at SCG, I think Virat will go in with Vihari and Agarwal. Pandya may come in for Rohit.

That will be a stupid move. As stupid as picking Umesh in Perth. Pandya is as rubbish as Mitchell Marsh and Australia are going to drop him for the SCG test. It will be a major mistake if Pandya plays the last test 

3 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

That will be a stupid move. As stupid as picking Umesh in Perth. Pandya is as rubbish as Mitchell Marsh and Australia are going to drop him for the SCG test. It will be a major mistake if Pandya plays the last test 

i agree with you regarding Pandya, but i have a feeling this is exactly what will happen. Unless a replacement is named for Rohit