Michael Vaughan places Virat Kohli above Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara: I haven't seen anyone better

Michael Vaughan believes Virat Kohli is the best batsman he has ever watched, placing the Indiacaptain above even the great Sachin Tendulkar.

Kohli's first-innings century against Australia in the second Test between the sides was his 63rd in international cricket, and at the age of 30 the skipper now has the third most runs by any Indian across the sport's three formats.

Given his imperious form in 2018, it seems inconceivable that Kohli is going to slow down any time soon and his remarkable purple patch has drawn high praise from Vaughan.

"I have not seen a better player. I'm not disrespecting Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara or Ricky Ponting but across three formats of the game I have not seen anyone better," the former England captain wrote his Foxsports column.

"He has such high skill levels and an incredible mentality when it comes to dealing with the pressure of the chase.

"All that while dealing with a weight of expectation and adulation that only Sachin would have experienced."

Kohli's prolific run with the bat was curtailed on Monday, however, when he was dismissed for just 17 by Nathan Lyon as India chased 287 for victory in Perth.

Link- https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/india/michael_vaughan_places_virat_kohli_above_sachin_tendulkar_and_brian_lara.html

I agree and i'm one of the biggest sachin fan you'd come across.

Kohli is ultra competitive. Sachin might be the more naturally gifted but Kohli's competitive nature, his desire to win and improve all the time has made him a better batsman IMO.

I've watched Sachin, Lara and Ponting in their prime. Kohli has left them in the dust. I still don't like him as the Captain though.

Well no $hit if 'all three formats' are included. Both Tendulkar and Lara spent the bulk majority of their careers competing in 2 formats, back when the two formats had a clear-cut 1-2 structure, with test cricket reigning supreme and ODIs only mattering for world cups & trilaterals. They also spent exactly 0 hours in their development phase trying to be TwontyTwonty batsmen. 

Same way as how the greatest allrounder ever in test cricket (Sobers) is a nobody in limited overs cricket. 20 years from now, if the 'no attention-span' generation gets a Ten-Ten kirkut format, then some new guy will be automatically better across all four formats than Kohli. 

13 minutes ago, zen said:

Lara was the best test bat of his gen. Kohli is showing some of those abilities. I hope that Kohli can get a double 100 in Aus, which may ensure that we will win a test and therefore cannot lose the series at worst and win the series at best 

No, Tendulkar was the best bat of his gen and the best bat since WWII. Even Lara disagrees with you mate, where he himself has rated Tendulkar higher than himself. 

56 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

No, Tendulkar was the best bat of his gen and the best bat since WWII. Even Lara disagrees with you mate, where he himself has rated Tendulkar higher than himself. 

not sure , that can be made a yardstick. Surely Lara would not place himself above Sachin,isn't it ? Again , as you said, when all factors combined  , SRT  convincingly  outweighs all others  by some distance baring a certain Viv Richards. And that 'consistancy' & 'dominance' case study I myself did w.r.t both these batsman 'abroad'  made me believe clearly that SRT was  indeed  the better test  batsman by some distance when compared to Lara. And when one dayers combined, it is not even a contest.  BTW what is your take on Viv??

To me he is the best post war all format batsman.

Edited by rtmohanlal
52 minutes ago, putrevus said:

The only debate left is his fourth innings chase. He has surprassed both Lara and Sachin and it is not even close.

Kohli scored 655 runs at home in 8 innings of series. Lara scored 798 runs agains England in 1994 in same number of innings. 

Kohli scored 593 runs in England in 10 innings. Lara scored 765 runs in his 1995 tour. SR of 77 and 3 centuries.

Kohli scored 233 runs in SL, Lara scored 688 runs in 3 matches in 2001 and that remains best series by any visitor there.

Kohli scored 286 runs in 3 tests and 272 in 2 tests in SA. Lara scored 531 in 4 tests in SA in 2003.

Kohli scored 692 runs in Aus in 2014 and 300 runs in 4 tests in 2011. Lara scored 466 runs in 1992 and 345 runs in 3 tests in 2005 in Aus.

Kohli scored 284 runs in 3 tests (2013) and 46 runs in 3 (2016) tests against Aus at home. Lara scored 546 and 533 in 1999 and 2003 respectively against Aus at home.

Kohli has more consistency, but Lara has matching performances.

25 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Kohli scored 655 runs at home in 8 innings of series. Lara scored 798 runs agains England in 1994 in same number of innings. 

Kohli scored 593 runs in England in 10 innings. Lara scored 765 runs in his 1995 tour. SR of 77 and 3 centuries.

Kohli scored 233 runs in SL, Lara scored 688 runs in 3 matches in 2001 and that remains best series by any visitor there.

Kohli scored 286 runs in 3 tests and 272 in 2 tests in SA. Lara scored 531 in 4 tests in SA in 2003.

Kohli scored 692 runs in Aus in 2014 and 300 runs in 4 tests in 2011. Lara scored 466 runs in 1992 and 345 runs in 3 tests in 2005 in Aus.

Kohli scored 284 runs in 3 tests (2013) and 46 runs in 3 (2016) tests against Aus at home. Lara scored 546 and 533 in 1999 and 2003 respectively against Aus at home.

Kohli has more consistency, but Lara has matching performances.

I agree he has to match Lara's match winning abilities.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

The only debate left is his fourth innings chase. He has surprassed both Lara and Sachin and it is not even close.

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I agree he has to match Lara's match winning abilities.

Which matches Lara won?

How has he surpassed Lara and how it's not even close.

He is yet to match Lara's performance against ATG spin attack or spin friendly conditions (Moeen and Rashid?). Yet to have a big series against ATG attack like Lara did in 1999.

Other notable performances by Kohli had been matched by Lara except his 2014 England tour and 2017 Aus series.

8 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Which matches Lara won?

How has he surpassed Lara and how it's not even close.

He is yet to match Lara's performance against ATG spin attack or spin friendly conditions (Moeen and Rashid?). Yet to have a big series against ATG attack like Lara did in 1999.

Other notable performances by Kohli had been matched by Lara except his 2014 England tour and 2017 Aus series.

He has surprassed Lara as allround better batsmen in all formats and it is not close..But in Tests he needs those away test wins.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

He is getting there but he needs to win a chase in fourth innings, he has failed in every chase.But His openers have not helped one bit, all his chases have almost started 10/2.I don't think there can be any successful chase from 10/2. These three useless openers have totally ruined his legacy.

That's a bit harsh on the openers, now I know that Virat is the chase master in LO but he isn't close to being one in tests. We've come close so many times & yet failed to cross that last hurdle, I know everyone else can be blamed but Virat is also equally responsible for these losses.

Edited by R!TTER