Why are Indian batsmen scoring at 1.88 rpo on flat pitch?

We have to assume that runs scored by 5 to 11 are a bonus .... from Agarwal, Pujara and Kohli, who ever (if not all 3) gets in has to look to score big 

Also we should not be playing all 3 from Rahane, Rohit and Vihari as it makes us a bowler short on this surface. Best way out is to score big in the 1st inning w/o worrying about RR

Edited by zen

It's test cricket not T20. 

The hacks Rahul and Vijay scored nothing in 2 tests and team lost because of those hopeless openers. The new comers are taking the workload of failed seniors. It's good and still people want T20 given various conditions. The run rate of 2.33 can get better as they have tired Pacers and remaining batsmen can then milk runs. 

Anyways wait for IPL.Its coming soon so that one can watch SR 300 by some batsmen.

Edited by Straight Drive

Extremely proud of what our guys did today. They fought hard against a very good and disciplined bowling attack that was backed by excellent fielding. Further, the outfield was not that fast. Balls were being chased down. Vihari only scored 8, but he batted long enough to ensure that we had a decent start. Beats the heck out of being 10 for 2 after 15 mins of play. Agarwal looked like he belonged. Hope this is the beginning of a good career. Pujara hit some good shots in between long periods of defense. Kohli looked choppy, but nevertheless he is such a scrappy fighter. By way of background, this was my first live test match and the atmosphere is something that I couldn’t capture on tv/ laptop. For most of the day, Indian crowds were making their share of noise, and the Australian crowd was on the quieter side. But then something happened when Kohli came out to bat. The Australians progressively got louder. The last 20 minutes - after Australia took the new ball- was really loud. Starc was pumped up. They were appealing for nothing but were doing it to create a hostile environment. With all that, Kohli handled it with a smile on his face. It’s like he has accepted the role of “target”. Meanwhile Pujara can score quietly and move things along. Really appreciated the fight of the Indian bats and it was a lot of fun wearing the India shirt and identifying myself with other Indian fans. Guys, if you haven’t done it- but get the chance to do it- please make it to a live game. You feel more a part of things. Also, if you do get the chance to travel, try the MCG. So well organized, they handle crowds so easily. And the stadium is a nice spot to watch a game. Cheers

6 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

The hacks Rahul and Vijay scored nothing in 2 tests and team lost because of those hopeless openers. The new comers are taking the workload of failed seniors. It's good and still people want T20 given various conditions. The run rate of 2.33 can get better as they have tired Pacers and remaining batsmen can then milk runs. 

Anyways wait for IPL.Its coming soon so that one can watch SR 300 by some batsmen.

The tired bowlers of today will  start afresh tomorrow and look for early wickets. If we lose 2-3 batsmen in the morning, then all the hard work will come to naught. You have to take advantage of tired bowlers by briskly scoring runs against them at some point. Can't bat ultra defensive all day.

Edited by nevada
24 minutes ago, nevada said:

The tired bowlers of today will  start afresh tomorrow and look for early wickets. If we lose 2-3 batsmen in the morning, then all the hard work will come to naught. You have to take advantage of tired bowlers by briskly scoring runs against them at some point. Can't bat ultra defensive all day.

Seems like you advocate of Kohli/Shastri (who you hate so much) who when took over said be positive and keep run rates good, take game forward.

Reading above not happy with Pujara grinding it out?:phehe:

1 hour ago, King Tendulkar said:

Seems like you advocate of Kohli/Shastri (who you hate so much) who when took over said be positive and keep run rates good, take game forward.

Reading above not happy with Pujara grinding it out?:phehe:

I would have been happy with 30-40 runs more. Anyways, what is done is done and we still have a healthy amount of wickets in hand. I hope Kohli and Pujara score big tomorrow to bat the Aussies out of the game. 

3 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

Extremely proud of what our guys did today. They fought hard against a very good and disciplined bowling attack that was backed by excellent fielding. Further, the outfield was not that fast. Balls were being chased down. Vihari only scored 8, but he batted long enough to ensure that we had a decent start. Beats the heck out of being 10 for 2 after 15 mins of play. Agarwal looked like he belonged. Hope this is the beginning of a good career. Pujara hit some good shots in between long periods of defense. Kohli looked choppy, but nevertheless he is such a scrappy fighter. By way of background, this was my first live test match and the atmosphere is something that I couldn’t capture on tv/ laptop. For most of the day, Indian crowds were making their share of noise, and the Australian crowd was on the quieter side. But then something happened when Kohli came out to bat. The Australians progressively got louder. The last 20 minutes - after Australia took the new ball- was really loud. Starc was pumped up. They were appealing for nothing but were doing it to create a hostile environment. With all that, Kohli handled it with a smile on his face. It’s like he has accepted the role of “target”. Meanwhile Pujara can score quietly and move things along. Really appreciated the fight of the Indian bats and it was a lot of fun wearing the India shirt and identifying myself with other Indian fans. Guys, if you haven’t done it- but get the chance to do it- please make it to a live game. You feel more a part of things. Also, if you do get the chance to travel, try the MCG. So well organized, they handle crowds so easily. And the stadium is a nice spot to watch a game. Cheers

Thank you for sharing your experience.  You are 100% right about the on-the-ground experience being so much better than TV - there are so many details that don't come across on TV that you can instantly see on the ground - things like which way the wind is blowing which can be a big tactical factor in batsmen attacking the spinner with lofted shots, field placing, etc.  

MCG boxing day is #1 on my cricket list after watching Veeru's 195 15 years ago.  I have had the good fortune to watch test cricket in England, and even though it was during the 0-4 blowout series where Zaheer got injured, it was still one of my favorite cricket experiences - right up there with the WT20 in Barbados.  Aint nothing like watching test cricket between 2 quality teams with a packed stadium - the vibe, the shared communal experience, its not something words can adequately capture.  I still remember the buzz on the ground in London once Tendulkar crossed 70 - IIRC he hadn't gotten his 100th 100 then, and the crowd realized the potential to watch a historic event, and they started buzzing and cheering every run.  To be part of that, was something special.  

Hope you get to do it again in this test, and on a day when India does even better!  

10 hours ago, fineleg said:

You are expecting too much @Trichromatic and @vvvslaxman

This is not a settled lineup of Sehwag and Gambhir.

This is one MA trying to overcome a debut (which is nervous even if in India, this is in Australia!!!)

a naturally slow player Pujara and a Vihari who is makeshift opener. Thats why.

What did a settled line up of Sehwag Gambhir did in 2012?

How can we look at this negatively. We got to be the most pessimistic  fans in the world if we have this attitude. Unless this is trolling, this shows a very poor state of mind on the fans end. We got one opener debuting and one makeshift opener forced to play out of comfort zone, we should be elated not trying to pin pricks on a solid rock foundation...

I am elated as a indian cricket fan...hope u too are.  

Edited by prasen82

Saw cummins hit Vihari on the head and also his dismissal. That's brutal, he was playing slower and in the crease, tough luck, he's being asked to open here. He is a natural MO bat. His reflexes were slower (VVSL type) and late trigger movements unlike for an opener. I hope for this young man's future, fat Rohit fails after Kohli/Rahane 100 partnerships.

Fair play to the boys, especially Vihari who did Dravidesque job for us having been thrown out there to open all of sudden. He did well to negotiate the new ball and stick around with Aggarwal.

Yes we were slow but at the nd of the day, I will take it as this puts us in decent position going into day 2. Hopefully we can bat 2 and half sessions today to put our selves in a strong positon.

1. 2.8-3 RPO is also defensive batting on flat pitch, but places team in much better position. RR below 2 reaps dividends on pitches where conditions are tough initially and likely to become better later.

2. Unless there is 200+ runs partnership in middle, ultra slow batting doesn't put you on top on flat pitches especially with such lower order. You're 220-2, 1 wicket and suddenly you can find yourself getting bowled out for 320 in 140 overs.

3. Even if it's slow for first 40 balls, once set you need to move on. 

If conditions are difficult for stroke making and bowling is too tight then it's completely different case. But if batsmen are too defensive and missing on boundary balls then defensive tactic is unlikely to be beneficial.

Even Kohli is scoring at SR of 41. It means either it is difficult to score there or they don't trust lower order and want to ensure that they stay there for maximum time.

20 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Yeah, we want 8 rpo.

You know this question is asked to players after the match or at the end of day and it's a very common question. They explain why they bat like this on a particular surface. There may be few things which aren't noticeable. Slowness of surface or bounce or team strategy, lack in confidence etc.

Luckily at that time they don't come up with great answers like "this is test, not a t20, go watch IPL".