Indian First Class Cricket thanks you Agarwal

Finally the juggernaught was picked.  Piles on the runs in ranji.  Piled it on in Vijay Hazare.  Piled it on in india A and India A away tours.  For me the perfect pathway in to India team.  More must be picked if tick these boxes.

Perfect example of honing and doing bissiness in the greateest domestic tournament in the world called Ranji trophy then doing bussiness in India rep teams including India A.  Played lots in SENA, so was not new thing for him, only thing new was upgrade in class and pressure, not conditions!

Aggarwal flopped in domestic T20 syed mushtaq and total flop IPL.  I repeat total flop in IPL.  Thank god flopped IPL.  As never again want to hear that patheitc line for picking players for test team " Didnt do well in IPL so didnt impress me"! Yuck!

He also is not a kid and 27!  Hooray.  Please end facination with only picking kids who 20.  27 to 29 great age as learnt the skills and learnt how to handle themsleves.  A 28 year old can play another 6 years min, thats 2 world cups as example, what more want?

Well done Mayank.  For me opens up the door for others on domestic scence dong the bussiness and not staring in IPL (more suited to other formats and more suited to tough pitch conditions).

Ranji trophy thanks you Aggarwal

Edited by King Tendulkar
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Shouldn’t be the other way around just like my  thread earlier . Aggarwal should be thanking the Indian first class system, the coaches etc for helping him refine his skills?

The way he has played Lyon was such a throwback to Indian batsmen handling any spinner like a domestic journeyman spinner regardless of reputation.

Semantics

Point is we must stop ignoring players doing the bussiness in FC cricket and then following it up with A tour perfomances.  Not just that perforoming in A tours but this gives them experience of playing overseas so when play for India ready to go certain extent.

IPL is no benchmark for who to pick in tests or frankly even for Odi team. 

Also stop discriminating against players who are not 21.  Aggarwal is better then Gill and Shaw right now as example.  Love shaw and Gill but lets not pick mayank cos he is 27 FFS

ps Aggarwal wouod be brilliant for our ODI team, smashed it in Vijay Hazare.  For me back up opener.  Hits ball big , with ease, seen him put balls out of stadium in domestics, effortless

5 minutes ago, tweaker said:

On the same yardstick Siraj should have made debut as he was successful in Ranji & home and away A teams.

Serious contender yes.  Should be in squad.  But our pace bowling unit been excellent last 18 months more batting were slots available.  However, Yadav looks like maybe his time is up and so Siraj maybe in squad to take his place

Personally I saw him bowl last 2 days v Punjab.  Bowled more 130 to 136.  Very fit, runs in all day.  Was super flat and tought to bowl v god bats.  Looked more threatning then other pacers in the game but did not blow me away but then its was very flat

Watched a lot of Ranji this year. Avesh, Aaron, Warrier and Rajpoot(more swing bolwer, others hit deck hard) have impressed me most for pacers about who I think could do well for India and take step up

Pure product of Ranji and A tours both him and Vihari.

Fine to select few raw or you g talented players bug eventually let players toil hard in Ranji and those who do toil hard do come out to be some of the best players.

Rahane and Pujara are great examples of people who toiled hard in Ranji and when given chance in the Indian team, both eventually lived up to the expectations and did well in different series.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Pure product of Ranji and A tours both him and Vihari.

Fine to select few raw or you g talented players bug eventually let players toil hard in Ranji and those who do toil hard do come out to be some of the best players.

Rahane and Pujara are great examples of people who toiled hard in Ranji and when given chance in the Indian team, both eventually lived up to the expectations and did well in different series.

Dhawan and Rohit also toiled hard in Ranji trophy.  Rohit also averaged 60 in Ranji Trophy.  So, there is no one perfect template to selection.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Dhawan and Rohit also toiled hard in Ranji trophy.  Rohit also averaged 60 in Ranji Trophy.  So, there is no one perfect template to selection.

There isn’t but having lived through the domestic period does help a ordinary or tale ted player become a “Man”.

It’s like a high school grad leaving home for college dorms living alone all of sudden with all the responsibility. It makes him more mature the enct few year he spends. We need to have that respect dor our domestic. Not everytime we must go by the averages in the domestic but we must still consider it as the criteria of picking most players while also gpicking 25-30% players based on the talent they show even without much average.  

Keep it a bit even.

24 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

There isn’t but having lived through the domestic period does help a ordinary or tale ted player become a “Man”.

It’s like a high school grad leaving home for college dorms living alone all of sudden with all the responsibility. It makes him more mature the enct few year he spends. We need to have that respect dor our domestic. Not everytime we must go by the averages in the domestic but we must still consider it as the criteria of picking most players while also gpicking 25-30% players based on the talent they show even without much average.  

Keep it a bit even.

Totally agree.  Its not as if sayng cant pick players based on talent who have not spent seasons playing Ranji or even been on A tours.  But need a mix, espcially for some top order bats, being through Ranji university and A tours gives so much knowledge and experience.  Its not even about eb9inmg fair, its just if scored runs and runs in Ranji you better prepared to deliver in most cases

Only caveat for me is bowlers in speed dept.  Very much on talent they need fast tracking as if have pace can come in earlier, need to spot them quick

29 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Keep it a bit even.

Mayank was never an ordinary player.  He was always marked form his U19 days in 2010 when he played some big innings in Australia for India U19, especially in LOIs.  

Been recent trend in recent years to ignore Ranji perfomances.  Dismiss them

We must put to end this crazy thing were IPL perfomances or non performances are reason why players get picked or dont get picked for TEST team.  Madness.  I would not even look at IPL perfomaces for ODI team, worlds apart.

With so much domestic cricket on TV, no excuse for selectors to be lazy and not see what players doing and only look at IPL tv games!  It seesm this is changing with Vihari and Agarrwal in test team despite doing jack in IPL

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Mayank was never an ordinary player.  He was always marked form his U19 days in 2010 when he played some big innings in Australia for India U19, especially in LOIs.  

True but took years to finally turn this in to a proper schooled run machine

I want Gill to spend 1 more year in Ranji and have 1 or 2 away A tours before plays for India, will do him world of good if does and will have better idea if ready, particulary with A tours

1 minute ago, King Tendulkar said:

We must put to end this crazy thing were IPL perfomances or non performances are reason why players get picked or dont get picked for TEST team.  Madness.  I would not even look at IPL perfomaces for ODI team, worlds apart.

With so much domestic cricket on TV, no excuse for selectors to be lazy and not see what players doing and only look at IPL tv games!  It seesm this is changing with Vihari and Agarrwal in test team despite doing jack in IPL

Does anyone considers IPL for Test selection ? Must be genius. 

15 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

True but took years to finally turn this in to a proper schooled run machine

I want Gill to spend 1 more year in Ranji and have 1 or 2 away A tours before plays for India, will do him world of good if does and will have better idea if ready, particulary with A tours

It is because he was not an ordinary player.  An ordinary player would have given up by now while he transformed his FC record in last 2 years.  Mayank was not even a regular in Ranji which is the reason he has only played 46 FC games in 8 years as his FC record was mediocre but he transformed in last two years and is now averaging 49 where as he used to be high 30s average batsman before that.

Edited by rkt.india
19 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Totally agree.  Its not as if sayng cant pick players based on talent who have not spent seasons playing Ranji or even been on A tours.  But need a mix, espcially for some top order bats, being through Ranji university and A tours gives so much knowledge and experience.  Its not even about eb9inmg fair, its just if scored runs and runs in Ranji you better prepared to deliver in most cases

Only caveat for me is bowlers in speed dept.  Very much on talent they need fast tracking as if have pace can come in earlier, need to spot them quick

Yes, bowlers should have a different route

, especially fast bowlers and anyone with higher speeds mist be pushed and seen against different opponents like the visiting teams etc in A games too. 

15 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

No player is picked based on IPL in test team and that has not happened yet.  Yes, players are picked for ODIs and T20s on the basis of IPL, not tests.  Test squad has always been picked based on Ranji trophy and A games.