Will IPL kill world cricket ?

Bumper

I think there is merit to that thought. IPL may not just kill our cricket, but cricket worldwide, if its not administered appropriately. 1) The money involved in IPL right now, is disproportionate to the skill levels, reputation & workload of the players. This will have to change. Players such as Kaif & Raina making $675K at IPL on an annual basis, will serve our cricket very little. How can these kids be motivated to do what it takes to make a come back to the national team ? I can see more & more kids preserving their body for the 6 week gig, making truckloads of money (& presumably win some endorsements based on their IPL performance) Gilly's central contract (which requires him to play 15 tests & 45 ODIs in a calendar year) earns him around $300K, I think. Thats roughly 120 days of cricket earning him $300K. If he can make $800K for 6 T20 games (roughly equivalent to 2 days of cricket), why will he not retire ? This is an insane pay rise, even for one of the best paid cricketers. 2) All boards supplying players to IPL, will have to get a cut out of IPL's profits. Otherwise sooner or later, we will find more & more disgruntled boards, losing players that they have groomed for years, to IPL. 3) ICC must ensure IPL schedules dont clash with any international schedule. Besides making the IPL successful, it does not force players into a dilemma. 4) IPL must grow beyond T20. Otherwise, few years from now, 50-50s will be completely forgotten.

If IPL is successful, it will be a Frankenstein. There will be no controlling it. The 2 minute Maggi noodles spectators today want 6s and 4s every ball and IPL promises that. Given the dwindling audiences in test cricket in all countries save India,Aus and England, why would any board invest in a losing proposition of having a 3 test series? Instead, they might offer to host IPL matches in their countries thus getting phenomenal gate receipts. Audiences in Pakistan and WI will love this. IPL will grow bigger and bigger and I think more and more cities will have teams (Sydney,London,Lahore etc). We might see a country specific 20/20 followed by a Champions League competition featuring best cities from all over the world. The schedule will be extended from weeks to months and cricket, in keeping pace with today's shrinking globalised economy, will rid itself of the nationalism and go truly corporate.

Excellent points Bumps and Gambit, and nice expert interjection, Beetle. My other worry is youngsters will look at the 20-20 format and bat accordingly, with little thought to the slow and sometimes painful building of an innings that is so required in Test cricket, eventually producing a generation of Yousuf Pathans.

Growing up ' date=' I remember the naysayers saying the same thing about ODI's and about how it's gonna kill Test cricket . Nothing of that sort as happened . Test cricket will have it's niche market no matter IPL succeeds or not.[/quote'] But your comparison couldnt be further off. Yours would be a fair rebuttal for the theory that T20 (which is another form of cricket) will kill the game. But IPL aint an evolution of cricket. Its a new league altogether. The closest analogy in history is the Kerry-Packers league. This isnt about players focussing on a specific form of cricket. (There are already instances of players choosing to do so, without causing significant harm to cricket. Eg: Harmison retiring from ODIs, Styris from test cricket etc). This is about players abandoning their national duties in a jiffy, to earn their lifetime's earnings in one or two seasons at IPL. We've already witnessed Shane Bond do this, preferring ICL over playing for NZ against England

But your comparison couldnt be further off. Yours would be a fair rebuttal for the theory that T20 (which is another form of cricket) will kill the game. But IPL aint an evolution of cricket. Its a new league altogether. The closest analogy in history is the Kerry-Packers league. This isnt about players focussing on a specific form of cricket. (There are already instances of players choosing to do so, without causing significant harm to cricket. Eg: Harmison retiring from ODIs, Styris from test cricket etc). This is about players abandoning their national duties in a jiffy, to earn their lifetime's earnings in one or two seasons at IPL. We've already witnessed Shane Bond do this, preferring ICL over playing for NZ against England
I see your point , but keep in mind , that we have professional soccer leagues like Manchester United , Chelsea , Real Madrid all over Europe which are extremely popular and fetch top dollars for the players involved. That doesn't mean that World Cup soccer or European cup has lost it's charm. The last time I checked , none of the top players have abandoned their national duty . In fact , even a routine warm up game between England and Germany will have tremendous viewer ship in Europe and all the top players will want to play in it.. In my opinion, IPL will thrive and cut into the popularity of ODI. Test cricket will still have it's niche audience . But , I would agree that certain segment of players vulnerable to injury for example express fast bowlers like Shane Bond will certainly reassess their priority.

KR, there is a huge difference between football and cricket. In football, international matches hardly constitute a significant part of the entire schedule. On the contrary, cricket as we know it is primarily international cricket. Die hard football fans would even say they don't care all that much for international football.

KR' date=' there is a huge difference between football and cricket. In football, international matches hardly constitute a significant part of the entire schedule. On the contrary, cricket as we know it is primarily international cricket. Die hard football fans would even say they don't care all that much for international football.[/quote'] That's absolutely correct. There's no equivalent of the Test or ODI championship in football, i.e. matches that simmer on through the length of the year, quite apart from WCs and Euro championships, etc. The main workload therefore is generated by club football. Cricket's quite the reverse. Besides, football doesn't have 3 different forms.

I dont know whether we need to start ringing the deathknell just quite yet ... first lets see whether IPL even pays off as much as the corporate houses think. Secondly, these cricketers are being paid moolah on the basis of their endeavors in Intl cricket

Ask yourself a simple question: If you get paid Rs 100,000 per annum for your job and suddenly get another offer than pays you 10 crores(if not more) for a fraction of a year, would you go back to Rs 100,000 once that gig is over? I think not. Either cricketers salaries(Test/LOI) etc will have to go up drastically or many players will put IPL ahead of others, they can always mask it by "looking after family" argument. xx

Really yoda? :omg:
Yes, I can't stand test cricket. I watch it cause I am addicted to cricket in general. It is too boring for my liking. Yes, some tests are exciting, even then 5 days of watching to get a single result is not something that interests me much. Atleast these days the pitches have become sporting and teams have upped the scoring rate. Still 5 days is too much. The only other sport where I know a single match goes that long is Golf. Even there you have 4 rounds and the final Sunday can be watched as if it was a whole separate game.

Well tough sh it, 'cos Test cricket isn't going anywhere. For the purist who can appreciate the finer points of the game, Test cricket is by far the most exciting form of cricket. Nothing beats watching a team trying to survive the 5th day on a wearing track, or two batsmen trying to get through a spell of hostile fast bowling. My favorite memories of the game are all moments i've seen in Test cricket - the contrived excitement offered by the limited overs game doesn't even come close. That sport will exist 'til the day i die, i hope so anyway. T20 is great and it will do wonders for generating interest in the game (not to mention filling up empty stadiums) but it will never be a replacement for test cricket. I hope it kills ODIs though - they are a complete waste of time and as teams play more and more of these boring contests, the overall standard of the game drops since players can't handle the workload. Good riddance