Indian batting vs Lyon at the SCG

vvvslaxman

Lyon's threat was somewhat negated by India by playing through off side occasionally. Especially Mayank just smashed him out of the attack. After that he was not the same. SCG might offer a bit more for him. But important thing is to make sure not to give wicket to him. They have to force Australia to rely on their pacers to take most of the 10 wickets. With starc under-performing, Hazlewood burnt out they rely on over-used Cummins to pick bulk of wickets. Us losing wickets to Lyon will make their job immensively easier. No rubbish, irresponsible shots. I am glad Pant showed immense restraint against Lyon apart from one slog which was dropped by Cummins. No need of getting wound up and going after him. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Lyon's threat was somewhat negated by India by playing through off side occasionally. Especially Mayank just smashed him out of the attack. After that he was not the same. SCG might offer a bit more for him. But important thing is to make sure not to give wicket to him. They have to force Australia to rely on their pacers to take most of the 10 wickets. With starc under-performing, Hazlewood burnt out they rely on over-used Cummins to pick bulk of wickets. Us losing wickets to Lyon will make their job immensively easier. No rubbish, irresponsible shots. I am glad Pant showed immense restraint against Lyon apart from one slog which was dropped by Cummins. No need of getting wound up and going after him. 

Yes . Thats where i think Pant needs to improve . Always he plays the lofted shots which carry high risk with fileders in the deep and bowler knows what shot he will be playing. Only thing bowler needs to do , is ensure Pant does not connect properly which he can do by 1) beating him in flight, 2) changing pace , 2) changing degree of spin .

Also most of the time he plays those big shots from a stationery position at crease.

I do hope :

Against Spinners 

1. starts mastering sweep shots keeping them down by bringing the bat down than horizontal. Also reverse sweep. Thus he cannot be predictable in his shot making. He cannot be LBW for an off spinner bowling out side his leg stump (normal stock delivery of Off spinner) when he attempts normal sweep. If they start bowling outside his off stump , he can start reverse sweep, 

2. Practice coming down the track some times .

3. Impove cut shots using depth of the crease . 

When he masters these shots , its far more difficult to bowl to him .

Against Pacers : -

1. Develop an attacking shot on off side over point/ Gully  for rising shot ball the way Shaw plays .

2. Ramp shot if they start peppering short balls. 

And there is no need put too much force whereby he looses his balance when hitting. He should be balanced while playing big shots .

It does not give you more than 6 runs whether you hit 80 meters or 100 meters. In fact  if you are not balanced , you will end up mis hitting.   

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

^ Lyon is mentally a defensive bowler. One six he will spread all the field. With Pant they immediately everyone to the fence. He should take advantage of it and score lot of  singles and 2s as there are plenty of gaps.

Agreed . That the immediate thing he needs to vs Lyon. What i wrote earlier is what i wish to see in next 1 year . Then he will be become a very very imp member of the side with improved WK skills 

If it's a spinning track then Ashwin n jaddu will play or kuldeep and Australia will loose the match within 4 days.

Beating India on a spinning track is like day dreaming.

Mayank played Lyon well..hanuma plays him well.

All our batsman are two level better than Australian batsman as far as playing spin. 

I am sure they won't make a spinning pitch..if they do ,it's like shooting themselves on the foot.

They have 1 good spinner , we have 3...if v score 200 they will score 150.

Our openers were not in form which made pujara n kohli coming in too early..understand the issue.

I said that early...repeating it again.

Australia has 1 Deadly bowler ..Starc. he has caused us some damage but not too much.

V did give 5 or 6 wickets once to Lyon but it was useless attacking strokes by pant , even rahane was attacking Lyon too much, v have to just bat well n hope pujara doesn't get into shell.

27 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

If it's a spinning track then Ashwin n jaddu will play or kuldeep and Australia will loose the match within 4 days.

Beating India on a spinning track is like day dreaming.

Mayank played Lyon well..hanuma plays him well.

All our batsman are two level better than Australian batsman as far as playing spin. 

I am sure they won't make a spinning pitch..if they do ,it's like shooting themselves on the foot.

They have 1 good spinner , we have 3...if v score 200 they will score 150.

Our openers were not in form which made pujara n kohli coming in too early..understand the issue.

I said that early...repeating it again.

Australia has 1 Deadly bowler ..Starc. he has caused us some damage but not too much.

V did give 5 or 6 wickets once to Lyon but it was useless attacking strokes by pant , even rahane was attacking Lyon too much, v have to just bat well n hope pujara doesn't get into shell.

No he isn't.