Shubman Gill keen to make every post a winner

Switchblade

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/shubman-gill-india-a-ranji-trophy-5515455/

It’s close to 5 pm at the IS Bindra Stadium and from a distance, it appears that an India team member is in the nets. Even though Shubman Gill is wearing an India A jersey, the practice session of the opener looks like that of any Team India player. Two net bowlers are told to bowl out-swingers, as the 19-year-old spends more than 40 minutes at the nets after fielding drills and is among the last group of Punjab batsmen to leave.

The last two weeks have seen Gill posting 268 against Tamil Nadu, followed by 148 against Hyderabad earlier this week, a match which Punjab almost won.

Gill, the second-highest run-getter at the ICC U-19 World Cup earlier this year, amassed 199 runs of his 268 runs against Tamil Nadu in a single day and there has been talk of him following in the footsteps of his U-19 captain Prithvi Shaw into the Indian team.

“Yes, I know selection ki baat to hoti rehti hai. But my focus has been to be ready whenever the chance comes. I will try my best and whenever the chance comes, I will be ready. Even if it does not come early, I know I have to keep my focus. At such a young age, I have got experience and I know I have time on my side. To har cheez sath le ke chal raha hun,” shares Gill.

While Gill terms playing for India as “upar wali cricket”. Post the U-19 World Cup, Gill has amassed 356 runs during India A’s tour to England, apart from hitting 154 for India B during the quadrangular series also involving Australia A and South Africa A. His Ranji Trophy sgtint has enabled Gill to spend time with players like Yuvraj Singh and Mandeep Singh, two players who had also set the U-19 scene alight in their younger days.

“I think life did not change much for me after the U-19 World Cup. Jo pehle karta aa raha tha, wahi kar raha hun. Bus thoda log zyada recognise karne lag gaye hain. I believed that opportunities milengi aur unko capitalise karna hai. Before the U-19 World Cup, I spent some time with Yuvi Paji and he told me the main challenge has to be mentally prepared when the opportunity comes. The best thing is to score runs and perform at whatever stage you can,” adds Gill.

The youngster has been under the constant tutelage of India A coach Rahul Dravid. The last two years was also the phase when Gill made the transition from U-19 cricket to first-class cricket.

“The biggest difference has been the intensity. At the U-19 level, the intensity of players and captains is for a shorter duration whereas in Ranji Trophy, the intensity is for longer. There are mature captains and mature teams.”

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rahane is not undroppable. Rohit is not undroppable. Vihari is not undroppable. But Vihari deserves a run. Other two don't. THey have been in the side long enough.

But rohit is too powerful and rahane is still living on his exploits from last away tours. Does rahane play ranji ? He is not even in ODIs and t20. Plays only IPL.

Edited by gattaca

Good chance he gets in next 12 months

5 and 6 slots up for grabs.  Rahane has big last test match here.  Rohit at 6 as well needs a good match.  Dont get fooled by ICF.  The 2 I mentioned both dropped by Kohli before, he will do it again if needs must.

Gill very much on radar.  Top 4 slots booked for a while me thinks

1 Shaw

2 Agarwal

3 Pujara

4 Kohli

Always felt Gill is more number 4 or 5 anyway

16 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Its tough for gill to break into Indian test team. Shaw will be back and mayank is good. No option in middle order as well. Unless they drop rahane or vihari. 

As i wrote 4 months back, he will be best batsman vs pace in tests after Virat in due course. Mark It.

He can easily replace Hanuma & Rohit right away.

If Virat dreams of away wins , he should discard proven test failures like Rohit and build a strong core team with likes of Gill ,Shaw . 

High time the team management   gives high attention to this talented youngster.Rahane has disappointed a lot. 'SENA  baring ENG' was his only  strong zone. If he can't perform here too , what is the purpose of him in the team? Rohit is a proven failure. Spots 5 & 6 are up for grabs.Hope some sensible people in the team management  give enough attention to this lad. Not much sense can be expected from the morons Shastri & Prasad .

I think he should be given a run in the ODI line-up after the WC. The middle order there looks fragile. He could be our #4.

1. Rohit
  2. Dhawan (does he have another WC in him? If not, play Shaw)
  3. Kohli
  4. Gill
  5. Rahul? (or some other promising youngster-actually Mayank could be an option)
  6. Pant (MSD to retire soon afetr WC - makes no sense to carry on)
  7. Pandya
  8. Kuldeep
  9. Bhuvi
  10. Bumrah / groom other youngsters - no hacks like Khaleel pls
  11. Need to find another leggie (chahar? Not convinced Chahal is a long-tern solution)

We need to start building the team for WC 2023 immediately after the next one. Could be Kohli-Sharma's last WC.

Edited by Pandya_Power

Gill is already playing for India A.

This Ranji season and the following A-team series against England are very important for him if he wants a quick debut.

He is on the selectors' radar.  Consistency and quite a few big innings will push him forward.

In tests , No.5 and No.6 slots are not sealed.  The opening slots are not sealed either. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Gill is already playing for India A.

This Ranji season and the following A-team series against England are very important for him if he wants a quick debut.

He is on the selectors' radar.  Consistency and quite a few big innings will push him forward.

In tests , No.5 and No.6 slots are not sealed.  The opening slots are not sealed either. 

He already made 2 big hundreds...

Few more will push his case little harder...

Finally, A tour will decide his fate