Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Switchblade

Shubman Gill keen to make every post a winner

Recommended Posts

Quote

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/shubman-gill-india-a-ranji-trophy-5515455/

 

It’s close to 5 pm at the IS Bindra Stadium and from a distance, it appears that an India team member is in the nets. Even though Shubman Gill is wearing an India A jersey, the practice session of the opener looks like that of any Team India player. Two net bowlers are told to bowl out-swingers, as the 19-year-old spends more than 40 minutes at the nets after fielding drills and is among the last group of Punjab batsmen to leave.

The last two weeks have seen Gill posting 268 against Tamil Nadu, followed by 148 against Hyderabad earlier this week, a match which Punjab almost won.

Gill, the second-highest run-getter at the ICC U-19 World Cup earlier this year, amassed 199 runs of his 268 runs against Tamil Nadu in a single day and there has been talk of him following in the footsteps of his U-19 captain Prithvi Shaw into the Indian team.

“Yes, I know selection ki baat to hoti rehti hai. But my focus has been to be ready whenever the chance comes. I will try my best and whenever the chance comes, I will be ready. Even if it does not come early, I know I have to keep my focus. At such a young age, I have got experience and I know I have time on my side. To har cheez sath le ke chal raha hun,” shares Gill.

While Gill terms playing for India as “upar wali cricket”. Post the U-19 World Cup, Gill has amassed 356 runs during India A’s tour to England, apart from hitting 154 for India B during the quadrangular series also involving Australia A and South Africa A. His Ranji Trophy sgtint has enabled Gill to spend time with players like Yuvraj Singh and Mandeep Singh, two players who had also set the U-19 scene alight in their younger days.

“I think life did not change much for me after the U-19 World Cup. Jo pehle karta aa raha tha, wahi kar raha hun. Bus thoda log zyada recognise karne lag gaye hain. I believed that opportunities milengi aur unko capitalise karna hai. Before the U-19 World Cup, I spent some time with Yuvi Paji and he told me the main challenge has to be mentally prepared when the opportunity comes. The best thing is to score runs and perform at whatever stage you can,” adds Gill.

The youngster has been under the constant tutelage of India A coach Rahul Dravid. The last two years was also the phase when Gill made the transition from U-19 cricket to first-class cricket.

“The biggest difference has been the intensity. At the U-19 level, the intensity of players and captains is for a shorter duration whereas in Ranji Trophy, the intensity is for longer. There are mature captains and mature teams.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rahane is not undroppable. Rohit is not undroppable. Vihari is not undroppable. But Vihari deserves a run. Other two don't. THey have been in the side long enough.

But rohit is too powerful and rahane is still living on his exploits from last away tours. Does rahane play ranji ? He is not even in ODIs and t20. Plays only IPL.

Edited by gattaca

Share this post


Link to post

Good chance he gets in next 12 months

 

5 and 6 slots up for grabs.  Rahane has big last test match here.  Rohit at 6 as well needs a good match.  Dont get fooled by ICF.  The 2 I mentioned both dropped by Kohli before, he will do it again if needs must.

 

Gill very much on radar.  Top 4 slots booked for a while me thinks

1 Shaw

2 Agarwal

3 Pujara

4 Kohli

 

Always felt Gill is more number 4 or 5 anyway

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Its tough for gill to break into Indian test team. Shaw will be back and mayank is good. No option in middle order as well. Unless they drop rahane or vihari. 

    As i wrote 4 months back, he will be best batsman vs pace in tests after Virat in due course. Mark It.

    He can easily replace Hanuma & Rohit right away.

    If Virat dreams of away wins , he should discard proven test failures like Rohit and build a strong core team with likes of Gill ,Shaw . 

Share this post


Link to post

High time the team management   gives high attention to this talented youngster.Rahane has disappointed a lot. 'SENA  baring ENG' was his only  strong zone. If he can't perform here too , what is the purpose of him in the team? Rohit is a proven failure. Spots 5 & 6 are up for grabs.Hope some sensible people in the team management  give enough attention to this lad. Not much sense can be expected from the morons Shastri & Prasad .

Share this post


Link to post

I think he should be given a run in the ODI line-up after the WC. The middle order there looks fragile. He could be our #4.

 

  1. Rohit
  2. Dhawan (does he have another WC in him? If not, play Shaw)
  3. Kohli
  4. Gill
  5. Rahul? (or some other promising youngster-actually Mayank could be an option)
  6. Pant (MSD to retire soon afetr WC - makes no sense to carry on)
  7. Pandya
  8. Kuldeep
  9. Bhuvi
  10. Bumrah / groom other youngsters - no hacks like Khaleel pls
  11. Need to find another leggie (chahar? Not convinced Chahal is a long-tern solution)

We need to start building the team for WC 2023 immediately after the next one. Could be Kohli-Sharma's last WC.

Edited by Pandya_Power

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, zen said:

I am rooting for a team like the one below:

 

Shaw

Agarwal

Pujara

Kohli

Gill

Pant

Pandya 

Kuldeep 

Pace bowler or spinner per conditions 

Shami

Bumrah

 

:dance:

I'm not 100% sold on Rishabh - especially his keeping.  Unless he keeps demonstrating an improvement curve with his gloves, he's defiinitely on probation.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I'm not 100% sold on Rishabh - especially his keeping.  Unless he keeps demonstrating an improvement curve with his gloves, he's defiinitely on probation.

There are no young readymade wicket keepers. Among young keepers, Pant is the best. 

Share this post


Link to post

Gill is already playing for India A.

 

This Ranji season and the following A-team series against England are very important for him if he wants a quick debut.

 

He is on the selectors' radar.  Consistency and quite a few big innings will push him forward.

 

In tests , No.5 and No.6 slots are not sealed.  The opening slots are not sealed either. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Gill is already playing for India A.

 

This Ranji season and the following A-team series against England are very important for him if he wants a quick debut.

 

He is on the selectors' radar.  Consistency and quite a few big innings will push him forward.

 

In tests , No.5 and No.6 slots are not sealed.  The opening slots are not sealed either. 

He already made 2 big hundreds...

Few more will push his case little harder...

Finally, A tour will decide his fate

 

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

If that was the case, Agarwal and Vihari would never make a debut ...
Shami and Sharma would never continue

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk
 

in the short term, IPL will be the single best platform to propel himself into international side. Over the coming 6 months- people will draw most definitive conclusions about him from how he plays in that tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

It will be a huge loss for India if he is not in the WC squad

    Lets not jump the gun.  No way he can be selected for WC.

   Let him play his first full season of Domestic & also all A matches till  Oct -Nov .

   Expectation should be - he will play some 50 over matches in 2019 and possibly make it to Test team later .

   He shoud  get prepared as much as possible with specific drills such as facing express deliveries from a reduced distance ,         

    improve play against outswingers  etc. to ensure he is not caught off guard. 

    By what i gather kid is just doing such things with focussed training.

    He must have seen how Vihari was found out. 

    So let him improve further more in another 6-8- months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, prudent_kreeda said:

    Lets not jump the gun.  No way he can be selected for WC.

   Let him play his first full season of Domestic & also all A matches till  Oct -Nov .

   Expectation should be - he will play some 50 over matches in 2019 and possibly make it to Test team later .

   He shoud  get prepared as much as possible with specific drills such as facing express deliveries from a reduced distance ,         

    improve play against outswingers  etc. to ensure he is not caught off guard. 

    By what i gather kid is just doing such things with focussed training.

    He must have seen how Vihari was found out. 

    So let him improve further more in another 6-8- months.  

   And do not expect the kid to set the world on fire when debuts . has played just 10 odd FC matches so far.

   But no doubt about his ability & talent.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

    As i wrote 4 months back, he will be best batsman vs pace in tests after Virat in due course. Mark It.

    He can easily replace Hanuma & Rohit right away.

    If Virat dreams of away wins , he should discard proven test failures like Rohit and build a strong core team with likes of Gill ,Shaw . 

Honestly i am NOT CONCERNED about Indian batsmens ability to play pace. Its the spin and swing they have faltered in. See all the 7 tests India lost. None was related to pace. In Edgbaston and Lords it was swing. In Oval and Southampton it was spin. Same here in Perth and in South Africa the guy who beat us was Philander bowling at 131. My question is,can Gill handle spin coming out at no 5 with India chasing 220 for win and at 111/4 and win it after negating Moin Rasheed Lyon or even Santner Aijaz Maharaj bowling in the rough.. big players have failed mind you.. at the end of day thats the issue

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

    Lets not jump the gun.  No way he can be selected for WC.

   Let him play his first full season of Domestic & also all A matches till  Oct -Nov .

   Expectation should be - he will play some 50 over matches in 2019 and possibly make it to Test team later .

   He shoud  get prepared as much as possible with specific drills such as facing express deliveries from a reduced distance ,         

    improve play against outswingers  etc. to ensure he is not caught off guard. 

    By what i gather kid is just doing such things with focussed training.

    He must have seen how Vihari was found out. 

    So let him improve further more in another 6-8- months.  

I see your point but when I look at Gill's game,the comfort against pace,the shots against spin,I can't help but thinking how nicely he would slot into that no.4 slot in ODI's over other pretenders,and maybe just maybe he can be the X factor we need for the World Cup.

 

But perhaps it is better to take a long term view and allow him to develop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

I see your point but when I look at Gill's game,the comfort against pace,the shots against spin,I can't help but thinking how nicely he would slot into that no.4 slot in ODI's over other pretenders,and maybe just maybe he can be the X factor we need for the World Cup.

 

But perhaps it is better to take a long term view and allow him to develop.

 

    Take your point . He may be a notch better than couple of guys in that middle order . But is it very clear TM will not look at any one other than 20 they have already zeroed in.  Hence saying no chance of making it to WC.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Honestly i am NOT CONCERNED about Indian batsmens ability to play pace. Its the spin and swing they have faltered in. See all the 7 tests India lost. None was related to pace. In Edgbaston and Lords it was swing. In Oval and Southampton it was spin. Same here in Perth and in South Africa the guy who beat us was Philander bowling at 131. My question is,can Gill handle spin coming out at no 5 with India chasing 220 for win and at 111/4 and win it after negating Moin Rasheed Lyon or even Santner Aijaz Maharaj bowling in the rough.. big players have failed mind you.. at the end of day thats the issue

        If its not a green mamba , the first line of attack in SENA to indian bastmen is high pace short stuff esp newcomers.So for

      newcomers this causes probelms like it happened to Vihari.  And that happens even now. Look at  dismissals of recent NZ

      A  vs INd A matches . How Lockie is bouncing out  guys like Nair, . Even Virat had a horrible time at the start vs short stuff. 

      You need to be prepared for that. 

      Spin - seems to have improved the way he played Ashwin in Deodhar in Oct . Played him beautifully and also aggressively. Much better than what i saw his game in WC19 final and some A games . (got out in final to an offie) .

      Though has no  obvious weakness , has to improve in certain areas:

       1. struggles to rotate strike in one dayers. So may consume more balls in his initial matches .

       2. Was not a power hitter. But recent matches show that seem to have been attended to.

       3. Plays shots away from body like so may other youngsters like Mayank , Shaw.         

 

     Swing -  This could be the issue as i have not seen him playing in swinging conditions. You need to selective of what shots to play and looking at some of shots played by throwing the bat at balls , he could land in trouble. This is a issue with almost all  of them may be due one day impact. 

        Yes you are very right . Need to play county /leauge whatever in early part of summer. But thre is an issue for A team players , many times  they even have A tours during summer and when they tour abroad with A teams , mostly patta wickets are dished out. 

 I think BCCI should think and do something about it as this is problem of almost all batsmen.

 

   

  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

It will be a huge loss for India if he is not in the WC squad

Too early his time will come after WC

 

But for odis Agarwal is man next in lne.  He should be in odi squad as back up opner.  At least carnage in Vijay Hazare last year. I always said this guy hits big and clear ropes with ease, we saw that in last test

 

Agarwal at this stage is better batsman then Gill!

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

    As i wrote 4 months back, he will be best batsman vs pace in tests after Virat in due course. Mark It.

    He can easily replace Hanuma & Rohit right away.

    If Virat dreams of away wins , he should discard proven test failures like Rohit and build a strong core team with likes of Gill ,Shaw . 

Another guy to watch out for the future is qamran iqbal though 17 but has incredible game awareness also looks mighty good batsmen. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, vayuu1 said:

Another guy to watch out for the future is qamran iqbal though 17 but has incredible game awareness also looks mighty good batsmen. 

Yes whos this qamran guy. Padosis posting about him too

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Rahane badly under performed in this series in his strong zone.  Sydney should be the last chance for him

Rahane will score 120 ball 72 in first innings and 33 ball 11 in second and will play whole of 2019

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, neel roy said:

Yes whos this qamran guy. Padosis posting about him too

A gem from whatever videos I could catch of him. He might play the u19 world cup. Kashmiri also, so you know.. many benefits of him playing for India :cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/31/2018 at 5:35 PM, vayuu1 said:

Another guy to watch out for the future is qamran iqbal though 17 but has incredible game awareness also looks mighty good batsmen. 

I just checked his stats...

He just played only 2 matches for J & k and made coupl od 50's

Have you seen him in action before?

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, express bowling said:

 

 

And in a low scoring match so far.

   Would dearly like to see the highlights if any. Kid was scoring more than 70% of team total till he got out. Mind you , at the other end was another very good prospect playing - Anmol and still more than 70% of the runs. 

 Eden Pitch too must have had something as Bengal was skittled out early and not a Patta it seems .  

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×