Hypothetical Thread - Could Ind have defeated Aus side with Warner and Smith ?

SK_IH

Could Ind have defeated Aus side with Warner and Smith ?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Could Ind have defeated Aus side with Warner and Smith ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Steve Smith would have scored 500+ runs alone

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

Simple question. Bumrah is a great addition to Ind's side but conquering Smith will remain a question. The thing is Smith has scored so much and so easily against Ind that I am unable to even visualize him consistently failing even against this Ind side. Warner seldom loses out in Aus as well.

Highly doubt he is a dogmatic cricketer who doesn't like to throw his wicket. Can't say the same about warner , but smith could have really made the difference especially in first test which they lost marginally.

6 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Highly doubt he is a dogmatic cricketer who doesn't like to throw his wicket. Can't say the same about warner , but smith could have really made the difference especially in first test which they lost marginally.

dont under rate Warner, especially at home. His 100 scoring rate at home is phenomenal

2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

dont under rate Warner, especially at home. His 100 scoring rate at home is phenomenal

I dont underrate warner at all but giving smith more weight age in terms of making difference, as pitches this time is different than last time so i have my doubt on warner to perform on somewhat difficult pitches and with this bowling lineup of india. However if he is set he can really decimate any attack.

Interestingly, the last series Warner and Smith played in South Africa, they were largely nullified as batsmen as South Africa showed the blueprint for bowling to them.

Steve Smith: keep tight 4th stump line and don’t give him anything to work away on leg

David Warner: right handers should stick to over the wicket line and he’s vulnerable whereas he kills you when you come round the wicket.

i remember holding on commentary asking why people never used these tactics before.

also I don’t fancy either smith or Warner in challenging conditions such as this series. They tend to flourish on flat Australian tracks. 

So they were about to be exposed anyway.

if you don’t believe me, here are their batting stats from that series:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;opposition=3;spanmin1=01+Jan+2018;spanval1=span;team=2;template=results;type=batting

Edited by mancalledsting
1 hour ago, raki05 said:

I dont underrate warner at all but giving smith more weight age in terms of making difference, as pitches this time is different than last time so i have my doubt on warner to perform on somewhat difficult pitches and with this bowling lineup of india. However if he is set he can really decimate any attack.

Smith struggled in SA on similar pitches we had this series.

37 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Warner is an FTB. Pitches this series have not been flat. Ball has not come on to the bat. Sluggish pitches and Warner struggles.

Aus came within 20 runs of Indias score in Adeleaide in 1st innings which ultmately was the difference in that match.And then Aus scored more runs than Ind at Perth. Its just Melbourne that Aus batting crumble. So, I dont know how someone like Warner not have made more difference 

3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Aus came within 20 runs of Indias score in Adeleaide in 1st innings which ultmately was the difference in that match.And then Aus scored more runs than Ind at Perth. Its just Melbourne that Aus batting crumble. So, I dont know how someone like Warner not have made more difference 

Because you will never how many runs he will score on challenging pitches. He has failed mostly if pitch isn't flat. Failed in SA as well.  Also yes toss is important but that doesn't matter. How many times we could beat teams overseas if we win the toss in the past. This team has beaten SA, England and now Australia after winning the toss. In fact, we lost all tosses in England. Story could have been different had we won few tosses there.

Edited by rkt.india
3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

I cant understand the hubris of some of our fans. Toss has played a major role in the score line so far. Add to that the susceptible batting of Aus. I will wait till Sydney to pass judgement, because if we lose the toss we would chasing the match once again.

Warner and Smith are as susceptible on pitches like these.

100% No.

Bumrah or No Bumrah,Batsman with calibre like Smith would not have failed in 8 innings..3 good innings and that would have defined series for them..

All this sandpaper gate has tainted him but He is bloody best batsman..And Not to forget Warner and Bancroft instead of Harris and Finch.Just look at the difference seen after Agrwal's introduction instead of those 2 non performers..

Edited by Bigg Brother