Best fast bowler? Rabada vs Md Abbas vs Bumrah

Samcric

In his first year of test cricket, Bumrah has impressed one and all. His rise has been fast.

Amongst the current fast bowlers, I believe only Rabada and Md. Abbas are somewhere close to the immediate impact he has made. Bumrah is currently ranked 16th in the world (based on the latest ICC rankings dated 31st Dec 2018) and there is a distinct possibility that he could break into the top 10 if he performs well in Sydney. 

I was thinking it may reign in a new golden age of 3 top-class young fast bowlers (Rabada is 23, Bumrah 25, Abbas 28) and it would be interesting to compare their progress in the initial stages as they made a name for themselves relatively early in their test careers. From the below, Rabada took 13 tests to break into the top 10, Abbas took 10 tests and in his first 9 tests, Bumrah has been tracking very closely to Abbas. However, he can at best only match Abbas in terms of minimum matches to get into top 10. Wow, didn't realize Abbas has been that good!

I believe these 3 would be the ones to watch for the next few years. Absolutely no disrespect to the likes of Cummins, Starc, Anderson, Boult and Southee. Exciting times ahead for fast bowling.

Bumrah.jpg.8643face6eb745cfd953d3a4db687909.jpg

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Shootout between Rabada and Bumrah. Abbas is a trundler Having a purple patch.

Rabada is overall a better cricketer though considering his batting and fielding

My hunch  ... 

Longevity ---- Rabada - Supreme athlete .

Normal to seaming wickets - Rabada ahead. 

Aisan wickets  ---    Bhumra could prove better than Rabada.

With new Ball -   Rabada better than Bhumra as of now .

Old ball -          Bhumra slightly ahead .

Difficult to pick -  Bhumra ahead. 

Pace  -               Bhumra ahead. 

Over all ,  Rabada slightly ahead.

Would like to assess again once both play test matches in india .  

Lol, abbas is nowhere near these, crap comparison. He’s just a rich man’s Mustafizur

it should be rabada, bumrah and cummins. Hazlewood should be there but currently has been a bit off color. However form is temporary, class is permanent.

After few more tests Shaheen will be in top 5 as well

5 hours ago, Aiden said:

Abbas has better average S/R and performed on dead UAE pitches but Bumrah is better who has played only on SENA pitches. How?

Most top Asian pacers have done much better at home than away.   It is usually more difficulty for Asian pacers to find the right line and length away from home  ... and getting used to the ball being used there.

Bowling averages

Waqar   

20  home

26  away

Akram

22   home

25   away

Imran

19    home

26    away

Kapil

26   home

33   away

Srinath

26   home

34   away

Shami

24    home

32    away

Performing away from home, especially in Sena,   carries more weight as a result.

Edited by express bowling
31 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Is this thread about best test pacer?

Abbas is neither all format bowler nor fast.

Mainly about 3 pacers who have had exceptional starts. These 3 are unique in terms of how quickly they have reached top10 (Bumrah will be there soon).

I understand a lot of reaction about Abbas. He does not seem like much every  time I see him bowl but has been terrific in terms of numbers. Dale Steyn also tweeted about being highly impressed by him. So, I have included him in this discussion.

Cummins and others are also obviously fantastic but they have taken a while to reach that Top 10. I specifically wanted to compare this to understand the ability to learn quickly in test cricket. A bowler will need this if he wants to make an immediate impact in the first 10-15 matches.

Bumrah has proved himself across all kinds of wickets. Rabada is not forceful in the subcontinent, atleast not in India. I can understand why people look at Rabada as a supreme athlete, coz he is tall, muscular and black. But I dont think Bumrah is any different. He is lean and naturally quick. I think he will last long. Am not sure how well Rabada will perform in the subcontinent atleast, once he loses 5k's off his pace, say around 3-4 yrs from now.

Also, if you look at the stats, Rabada's stats are very incosistent. He took his time to gear up.

Abbas is not tested enough outside his comfort zone of UAE, and I'd like to see Bumrah bowl more in Ind before making a call. In my book, Rabada slightly edges Bumrah since he can function as a workhorse as well (better fitness and more "repeatable" bowling action). Rabada > Bumrah > Abbas on present evidence. Cummins is as good as Bumrah in my book. Very underrated gem.