What should be the strategy of indian team to improve in shorter format

I was just looking at the standings and improvements by teams in the shorter format in last year , year & half..

In T20 Pakistan has risen and done very well while in 50 overs England has done remarkably well. 

But Pakistan has not done that great in 50 overs and England's performance in T20 is not the same as in 50 overs . 

If we look at Pak team , they do not have that many blasters like WI , yet they have done very well. 

Its the bowling which is keeping their flag high . Resrictive pace & spin bowling and bit a leggie/mystery spinning option is doing the job for them .

In England's case its the deep & very agreesive batting which has made them one of the top most teams in 50 overs.  

Their bowling is not that great and half of them are allrounders. Most of the times its the batting which is chasing down any target set by other teams. 

Somehow the deep batting has not made them a top T20 team. 

Is there a pattern emerging out of it that :- 

1. For T20  - Emphasis should on better bowling attack .

2. For 50 overs - Emphasis should on deep & aggressive batting line up .

Should india try this strategy experiment ?

1. Captain badlo , Give Rohit full time captaincy of LOI post WC

2. Look for match winners and utilty players not safe players 

3. Dont play important players in the games where they can be rested and introduce young players 

4. A lot of focus shud be on developing all rounders - dube, krunal, abhishek sharma, anukul roy ....and even develop batting skills of bowlers like rahul chahar, nagarkotti, mavi, gowtham who has the talent with the bat and encourage batsman like rana, hooda, iyer,  and others to work a bit more on their bowling as well

5. Make someone like Thampy work with bumrah as he has a very good yorker and help him polish his skills 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
11 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

For 50 overs - Emphasis should on deep & aggressive batting line up

I have been banging on about this since before the 2015 WC.  But even if we have a deeper lineup, batting aggressively would require the top order to bat more selflessly, taking on more risk and prioritizing max team run rate and score ahead of personal landmarks.  

Don't hold your breath.

Edited by sandeep
Edit: Typo

Too late to do anything about it for 2019 WC and possibly for 2020 T20 as well. However, in ODIs, I believe what we require (broadly speaking) are: 6 bowling options with 2-3 all-rounders, and Nos. 5 to 7 (or 8), who can score consistently at a SR of 100+. The best team in bilateral series as of now (Eng) has these bases covered. I think we have some of the personnel, but smart selections are reqd. I believe at least 2 of the following 3 should play: Pandya bros and Jadhav. However, Jadhav's fitness levels are not good, and he's not young either. We really need to unearth proper batsmen at 5 or 6 who can score fast, but also play long innings if necessary, and bowl 4-5 overs on average. Same applies for T20s, although the SRs and no. of overs bowled need to be adjusted.

Edited by Vijy

Sort selections as well. Pandey looks like a hack in modern LOIs. Biryani I'm not sure. Dhoni, naam hi kaafi hai. This is just low hanging fruit. Bumrah needs a more consistent partner as well. AR needs to contribute more consistently with bat with 4 bowlers who almost never do besides Bhuvi once in a blue moon.

Other points mentioned above such as ARs are relevant, they ought to be good enough to be selected on their primary skill.

TBH, there is no set formula to dominate T20s, such is the nature of the beast. Many things also depends upon the conditions.Like the next T20 WC is in Aus,  Pak wont even be in top 4 fav in those conditions.

In ODIs, you also cannot ignore the need of a quality bowling unit. Obviously deep and powerful batting lineup helps but in ODIs as well you need a balance of both.

Need aggressive batsmen like Pant,Shaw,Gill,Rahul in place of Rayudu,Dhoni,Pandey,Kedar. Kedar will always remain unfit & his bowling will be trashed around in SENA pitches.So,it's a waste of spot to pick him.

Rahul is out of form now.But he should not be dropped permanently.The problem is mainly batting.The constant failures in chases above 300 and in situations where Run rate above 10 is needed is big problem.

I will pick Jadeja over Chahal anyday. Pick better bowlers than Khaleel. Bhuvi is unreliable. 

Edited by diehardpacer
1 hour ago, Sandeep99 said:

Maybe select the right players?

Rayudu, Karthik, Dhoni... you can't be serious enough to win world cup..

You cannot lump Raydu and Karthick with Dhoni. Dhoni is so negative that he does not belong on the field.