BCCI: Ashwin declared unfit, ruled out of Sydney

fineleg

6 minutes ago, Tridibans_16 said:

Pandya is not in the 13 man squad

I see. thanks for the clarification. I guess we'll see Rahul/Vijay come in for Rohit then and Vihari will be shunted back to 6. However, if Rahul plays, he may be better off at 6 where he can play his currently ugly game.

Things are not looking good atm. Both our bowling and batting is going to get weakened. Hoping Umesh could at least not leak runs and some runs from vihari at 6. 2nd one is not unreasonable. With umesh, the tail is shorter and our best hope is to win toss and try to bat 120 overs. From there, we can push for a draw and put Aussies under immense pressure. The more overs we play out, more nervous would Aussies be.

Edited by SrinjayDutta

I am not a fan of KL rahul, but this is wonderful opportunity for him to score some runs, even 50 odd and save this mess. This kind of situation gives you a longer rope. One can joke about Rohit and he has been overall poor in this series, but both his 37 and 62 were quite crucial,  maintaining 1st innings lead for India. Rahul should consider himself very lucky. Maybe opening with Mayank, his friend, would give him some confidence. Friendship between openers always helps mentally.(e.g. Sachin sourav, langer Hayden, viru Gauti)

1 minute ago, SrinjayDutta said:

I am not a fan of KL rahul, but this is wonderful opportunity for him to score some runs, even 50 odd and save this mess. This kind of situation gives you a longer rope. One can joke about Rohit and he has been overall poor in this series, but both his 37 and 62 were quite crucial,  maintaining 1st innings lead for India. Rahul should consider himself very lucky. Maybe opening with Mayank, his friend, would give him some confidence. Friendship between openers always helps mentally.(e.g. Sachin sourav, langer Hayden, viru Gauti) 

alternatively, given his wretched form, maybe team management could opt to send him at 6 and ask him to bash it around. I hope not though. vihari should be back at 6

4 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

ideally i would agree with you but the aussies are likely to labushe too,i would love to see the wicket right now and see if its really dry.

even with labuchagne, Aus attack would look more balanced, if we go in with 2-2 combo. But yeah , yesterday in pic,  pitch had green tinge to it 

Edited by SK_IH
7 minutes ago, Vijy said:

alternatively, given his wretched form, maybe team management could opt to send him at 6 and ask him to bash it around. I hope not though. vihari should be back at 6

That is extremely unfair on vihari. Rahul is not kohli/ Tendulkar who can be given choice all the time where to bat.He has hundreds in Aus/Eng and should back himself to regain his lost form at 1 only. One good idea is for him to not face starc first over. I am confident that vihari has the capability to forge 50 partnerships with kohli and rahane at 6. Would gamble with Rahul at 2. The worst part here is Umesh. Hope he takes some wickets if he cannot stop leaking. Pressure on Vihari too. Need to perform with bat and ball both. And jadeja to paper up us being 1 bowler short.

Isn’t decision on Ashwin’s fitness to be taken on the morning of the game? 

“India name 13-man squad for SCG Test: Virat Kohli (C), A Rahane (VC), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, C Pujara, H Vihari, R Pant, R Jadeja, K Yadav, R Ashwin, M Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav 

A decision on R Ashwin's availability will be taken on the morning of the Test”

30 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

That is extremely unfair on vihari. Rahul is not kohli/ Tendulkar who can be given choice all the time where to bat.He has hundreds in Aus/Eng and should back himself to regain his lost form at 1 only. One good idea is for him to not face starc first over. I am confident that vihari has the capability to forge 50 partnerships with kohli and rahane at 6. Would gamble with Rahul at 2. The worst part here is Umesh. Hope he takes some wickets if he cannot stop leaking. Pressure on Vihari too. Need to perform with bat and ball both. And jadeja to paper up us being 1 bowler short. 

yeah. umesh will leak more than the leaky cauldron.

32 minutes ago, GolGappe said:

Most likely XI: Rahul, Mayank, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Vihari, Pant, Jadeja, Umesh, Shami, and Bumrah.

India will be tad bit defensive and won't sacrifice a batsman for a bowler. 

this is the most likely combo. umesh is going to be a total dud though. of course, having a half-fit ashwin wouldn't be all that better either.