13 men squad named for 4th test, Ishant rested

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

India name 13-man squad for SCG Test: Virat Kohli (C), A Rahane (VC), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, C Pujara, H Vihari, R Pant, R Jadeja, K Yadav, R Ashwin, M Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav

A decision on R Ashwin's availability will be taken on the morning of the Test #AUSvIND pic.twitter.com/4Lji2FExU8

— BCCI (@BCCI) January 2, 2019

bound to be between kuldeep and umesh then for the fourth bowler, assuming ashwin is unfit. however, just 2 paces seems risky, since I don't think the sydney pitch is that spinner-friendly.

Just now, SK_IH said:

the doofus who only plays a single format has lost steam. However,  good riddance, now Ind has to gamble with Umesh and hope he is consistent.

"umesh" and "consistent" are not words that should be used outside home conditions. At home, Umesh is pretty good, but he tends to underperform continously abroad - can't land 6 balls on a proper line and length per over (too many loose balls).

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

"umesh" and "consistent" are not words that should be used outside home conditions. At home, Umesh is pretty good, but he tends to underperform continously abroad - can't land 6 balls on a proper line and length per over (too many loose balls).

yes brother thats why it is a hope :giggle:

10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

the doofus who only plays a single format has lost steam. However,  good riddance, now Ind has to gamble with Umesh and hope he is consistent.

Loosing the workhorse for test match is never good news. Ishant is not lighting the stage on fire, I agree, but taking out Hazelwood, all the heat from Cummins and Starc would vanish. Just imagine that guy tremain coming in and leaking runs? Just wish Umesh would hold up. 

Another risky option is: play ashwin as pure 6.hanuma vihari could open and do 5th bowler. Umesh to be used in short bursts and jadeja as the workhorse. If such a match situation comes that ashwin can bowl 5-10 overs, bowl our champion spinners in tandem. In my view, ashwin + jadeja has always been far far more effective than their individual strengths. When they play together, the variation always draws mistakes from batsmen.

3 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

Loosing the workhorse for test match is never good news. Ishant is not lighting the stage on fire, I agree, but taking out Hazelwood, all the heat from Cummins and Starc would vanish. Just imagine that guy tremain coming in and leaking runs? Just wish Umesh would hold up. 

yes if he was a workhorse, i would have still taken him , however he isnt even the work horse this series. He has bowled the least number of over among the 3. 

The 13 man squad selected for the 4th test replaces a niggled Ishant with Umesh

1.   Ishant is the accurate support pacer who allows the other 2  quick bowlers to attack by bottling runs from one end.   Umesh cannot replace  Ishant.   He can only replace Shami in this team.  Bhuvi would have performed Ishant's role much better.

2.   If  Bhuvi can't even replace an injured Ishant ...  he is obviously unfit for  5-day matches.    Why is he in the squad then  ?   If he is fit  why is he not playing  ?

3.  What is the purpose of playing so many A-team series if the successful A-team pacers can't replace partially fit Senior team pacers  !   Rajpoot or Saini should have been backups for partially fit Bhuvi and Ishant.

4.  Roles have to be clear regarding pacers ... like for like replacements brought in  

Strike bowler Cum Enforcer quick bowler --

...  Bumrah

...  no true backup available

...  Avesh and Mavi can be groomed.

Accurate support pacer --

...  Ishant

... backup  Bhuvi 

... more backups Rajpoot, Saini

2nd pacer who has pace and can take wickets --  ...  Shami

...  backup Siraj

...  more backup Saini, Umesh,  Shardul

29 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

If Umesh plays then half of the bowling strength is gone, but then Kuldeep is inexperienced.

Kuldeep has enough experience and has done well (don't let his 9 overs at Lord's cloud your judgement) against Aus in Dharamsala and in the WI series. Plus all the white ball cricket. I think he is more than ready. He will be important in the next round of overseas tests and a grind at SCG will be good for him and India. He is a good enough batsman as well for No. 9

19 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

I guess Ashwin and Yadav will miss out.. Other than that, looks a good XI.

Hope Rahul can make it count - lesser pressure (given the 2-1 lead), and probably a not-so-pacy pitch

both ash amd yadav with jaddu will play

3 spinners 2 pacers one keeper 

chepu and agarwal open kohli rahane and vihari i middle -

only difference could be rahul comrs in for ash